It's early... but here's my first attempt at a mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's early... but here's my first attempt at a mock

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
No trades...

1A. Michah Parsons: Need meets opportunity. The biggest hole in our defense is clearly at MLB. We run a 3-3-5 most of the time, and we don't have a player on our roster who can play sideline to sideline, cover, and throw an occasional blitz. Without this piece, we'll never be great... only pretty good. Parsons SEEMS to be that player.

1B. Jaylen Waddle: Have you seen our slot receivers? I mean... really? Sure Wilson might come back for one more year, but he'll be 29 and is only signed for one more year. Tua needs a guy with a serious case of the quicks on the inside, and who better than a guy that he already knows. I think he'll slide below the natural flankers like Chase and Smith.

2A. Najee Harris: Big. Powerful. The thumper that will give the other teams pause. Etienne would be a possibility but I think this would make us more of a finesse offense than Flores would like. As an added plus, few teams in the NFL employ the big back any longer... and you can see what a big back has done for Tannehill. Can you imagine Tua with that much time?

2B. Patrick Jones: We don't have a pure pass-rusher on the roster. Ogbah has been very, Very good... but 1) you can never have enough pass rushers and 2) we may not have him for long. These guys are prohibitively expensive to find in free agency, and as Clowney has shown, many of them flame out in a new setting. You MUST draft these players. Obviously... if we miss on Parsons, Rousseau becomes a possibility.

3. OT Abraham Lucas: It's early to settle on a Tackle prospect, especially from the Pac 12 as they've just begun to play. Lucas is advertised as having some of the best feet in this year's class... a class where many of the Tackles are thought to be Robert Hunt types... guys who may have to go inside. I'd like to see a few games before dialing in this pick, but I'd really like to take a pure Tackle and send Hunt inside. Just for fun... keep an eye on Daniel Faalele, the biggest human in captivity.

We will be picking in the twenties with our first rounder, doubt any of the top 3 WRs are left.

We will be picking in the twenties with our first rounder, doubt any of the top 3 WRs are left.
Possible... but we'll have to make the playoffs in order for that to happen. If we miss... we'll be right where the third WR dropped last year. I'm not going to swear it will or won't happen... but he was there when I drafted, and it was in the realm of possibility, so I took him.

It is also possible that we might be willing to move up a couple of picks to take the guy we really want. Who knows, we may decide that Rondale Moore is the guy, though... I think this guy has injury risk written all over him.

Bagging that top 3 seems VERY optimistic!

That said ----------------- I'd take THAT right NOW if we could buy futures.
Hard to say what the RBs will do this year... some years they climb, some years they don't. Last year, the Chiefs got the best one out of the 32 hole.

We might be just as happy with Hubbard or Gainwell... Etienne and Harris get all the press because they are on the better teams, but as we've seen before... this does not imply that they'll actually be the best players at their positions. I've actually seen a few sites that believe Gainwell has the best profile for the NFL. He looks like a three down back as he catches the ball very well.

No trades...

1A. Michah Parsons: Need meets opportunity. The biggest hole in our defense is clearly at MLB. We run a 3-3-5 most of the time, and we don't have a player on our roster who can play sideline to sideline, cover, and throw an occasional blitz. Without this piece, we'll never be great... only pretty good. Parsons SEEMS to be that player.

1B. Jaylen Waddle: Have you seen our slot receivers? I mean... really? Sure Wilson might come back for one more year, but he'll be 29 and is only signed for one more year. Tua needs a guy with a serious case of the quicks on the inside, and who better than a guy that he already knows. I think he'll slide below the natural flankers like Chase and Smith.

2A. Najee Harris: Big. Powerful. The thumper that will give the other teams pause. Etienne would be a possibility but I think this would make us more of a finesse offense than Flores would like. As an added plus, few teams in the NFL employ the big back any longer... and you can see what a big back has done for Tannehill. Can you imagine Tua with that much time?

2B. Patrick Jones: We don't have a pure pass-rusher on the roster. Ogbah has been very, Very good... but 1) you can never have enough pass rushers and 2) we may not have him for long. These guys are prohibitively expensive to find in free agency, and as Clowney has shown, many of them flame out in a new setting. You MUST draft these players. Obviously... if we miss on Parsons, Rousseau becomes a possibility.

3. OT Abraham Lucas: It's early to settle on a Tackle prospect, especially from the Pac 12 as they've just begun to play. Lucas is advertised as having some of the best feet in this year's class... a class where many of the Tackles are thought to be Robert Hunt types... guys who may have to go inside. I'd like to see a few games before dialing in this pick, but I'd really like to take a pure Tackle and send Hunt inside. Just for fun... keep an eye on Daniel Faalele, the biggest human in captivity.
Patrick Jones will probably be drafted a bit higher. He's very underrated. He's versatile as he's played LDE/RDE in a 4/3, he's played both OLB positions, in both 4/3 and 3/4 alignments and he's also been a Stand Up Mike LB on some passing downs where he'll do stunts and delayed rushes. The guy is all over the front seven. He looks like a glove fit for Miami.

Patrick Jones will probably be drafted a bit higher. He's very underrated. He's versatile as he's played LDE/RDE in a 4/3, he's played both OLB positions, in both 4/3 and 3/4 alignments and he's also been a Stand Up Mike LB on some passing downs where he'll do stunts and delayed rushes. The guy is all over the front seven. He looks like a glove fit for Miami.
I think so too... and I think you are correct that he is rising as the games are played (which is what I think will happen with most of the players who get to play this year).

That would be an absolute awesome draft. I've seen people mocking Jones in the second round. Is that realistic?

Parsons, Waddle and Harris would be perfect fits and exactly what the Dolphins need at those positions.

I think so too... and I think you are correct that he is rising as the games are played (which is what I think will happen with most of the players who get to play this year).
Not only that, but I do suspect he'll do very well at the combine, if he attends?

I hope we can trade down and get some more picks. First pick I want a stud WR. Give me Devonta Smith. End of the first I really want Najee Harris, but I’d be ok with Creed Humphrey, Eric Stokes, or Freirmuth. Top of the second give me Azeez Ojulari or Jordan Davis. Bottom of the second Richard Lecounte. Third round Zaven Collins or Kenneth Gainwell. Fourth round Malik Herring Or Trey Hill. As you can see I’m a Georgia homer, but that defense has a bunch of good players

I don't think anybody would cry with those first 3 players tho at this point I'd prefer Devonta Smith(not likely he'd be there tho)
No doubt LB,WR,RB.Pass rushers are our biggest priorities. A DT for the rotation is also needed but of course we need to see what we do in free agency first.

I don't think anybody would cry with those first 3 players tho at this point I'd prefer Devonta Smith(not likely he'd be there tho)
No doubt LB,WR,RB.Pass rushers are our biggest priorities. A DT for the rotation is also needed but of course we need to see what we do in free agency first.
Yeah... it is WAY early. No mock from this time should be taken very seriously. You are 100% correct, we may fill (or try to fill) a hole or two in free agency before the draft.

That said... In general, most of the time, I would rather find three part time players than one high ticket item. Building through free agency isn't really building... it's more of a patchwork thing, find a temporary 2-3 year fix.

Devonta Smith... Yeah, he'd be a nice acquisition, but I just don't see him falling to our 1b pick. I think that Waddle might... pure slots usually fall a bit, and the injury won't help his stock... it might not hurt it, but it certainly won't help it.

Yeah... it is WAY early. No mock from this time should be taken very seriously. You are 100% correct, we may fill (or try to fill) a hole or two in free agency before the draft.

That said... In general, most of the time, I would rather find three part time players than one high ticket item. Building through free agency isn't really building... it's more of a patchwork thing, find a temporary 2-3 year fix.

Devonta Smith... Yeah, he'd be a nice acquisition, but I just don't see him falling to our 1b pick. I think that Waddle might... pure slots usually fall a bit, and the injury won't help his stock... it might not hurt it, but it certainly won't help it.
Never too early to talk about the draft tho....lol

I hope we can trade down and get some more picks. First pick I want a stud WR. Give me Devonta Smith. End of the first I really want Najee Harris, but I’d be ok with Creed Humphrey, Eric Stokes, or Freirmuth. Top of the second give me Azeez Ojulari or Jordan Davis. Bottom of the second Richard Lecounte. Third round Zaven Collins or Kenneth Gainwell. Fourth round Malik Herring Or Trey Hill. As you can see I’m a Georgia homer, but that defense has a bunch of good players
If Miami ends up picking near the end of round one, why not Harris? I hope the Dolphins sign Karras long-term, but I do like Humphrey.

Is Davis a better option than Shelvin? What's your scouting report on Davis?

Back
Top Bottom