It's early... but here's my first attempt at a mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's early... but here's my first attempt at a mock

I watched the Penn St game today... yeah I was bored...

I have to tell you, I was unimpressed by Freiermuth. He got wide open on a play where Nebraska's coverage was awful, and then got run down from behind.
It was just one game, but it was only Nebraska... and I just wasn't blown away by his speed or elusiveness. He didn't dominate as I would have expected vs. a weak opponent.
I'll watch him again, but he didn't strike me as a first day pick. Hell... he didn't look better than Shaheen.

Devonta Smith... Yeah, he'd be a nice acquisition, but I just don't see him falling to our 1b pick. I think that Waddle might... pure slots usually fall a bit, and the injury won't help his stock... it might not hurt it, but it certainly won't help it.

I think you are right about Smith not being there at 1b. Watching the Masters this morning they flashed Kiper’s top 10 on his “big board” across the bottom and he has Devonta Smith at 5 ahead of Chase at 6. With Waddle out he is getting more of a chance to shine. If we want him, we may have to use 1a.

I those two were to actually go in the top 6-8 picks, I would be astounded, but I wouldn't be upset... players that I covet would slide down.

If Miami ends up picking near the end of round one, why not Harris? I hope the Dolphins sign Karras long-term, but I do like Humphrey.

Is Davis a better option than Shelvin? What's your scouting report on Davis?
Davis is a true Nose. He is like Raekwon Davis in size but a better player. He can get a good push up the middle on passing plays and he is excellent against the run. I think he is more mobile than Shelvin.

Najaa wont drop out of the 1st round.Plan b should be Hubbard

Not good enough. This is Tua SB window, and we need to fix the backfield pronto with the best. We need an offensive player in the backfield who is top 10 in any draft in the last 5 years, and that is Najee. Najee requires gang tackling.
I would take two RBs and two WRs in this draft, one set on day one and two, and another set on day 3.

Not good enough. This is Tua SB window, and we need to fix the backfield pronto with the best. We need an offensive player in the backfield who is top 10 in any draft in the last 5 years, and that is Najee. Najee requires gang tackling.
I would take two RBs and two WRs in this draft, one set on day one and two, and another set on day 3.
I dont disagree that we should take 2 and 2 at those skill positions but if you are saying Hubbard isn't good enough I would say you are wrong.if you aren't then I must have misread your post.
Hubbard is an excellent back.

I dont disagree that we should take 2 and 2 at those skill positions but if you are saying Hubbard isn't good enough I would say you are wrong.if you aren't then I must have misread your post.
Hubbard is an excellent back.
Hubbard is excellent, so are several other backs in this class. But Najee is special. It takes a team effort to deal with Najee.

ETN and Najee set themselves apart from the rest. Both worth a late 1st but I'm hoping we can nab Najee with our 2A. I'm even will to trade up that pick to ensure the pick.

New week... new draft order.

With the Houston win (screw you Patriots), I lost the opportunity to take Parsons, so it required a shuffle. ...and as I am becoming more familiar with our needs and the college players, I have expanded to 5 rounds.

1:8 Devonte Smith, Flanker: Honestly, I'd look to trade down from this spot if Parsons, Sewell, and Rousseau are gone, but this mock assumed that no trades were possible. I was given the choice of any WR but Chase... so I went Flanker.

1:17 Travis Etienne, Running Back: A little early, but with the WR in hand and the feeling that we may resign Karras, I passed on Humphey and took the back. Not getting Parson @ 1:8 is spoiling my good time.

2:39 Nick Bolton, Inside LB: Again... didn't get Parsons and the rest of the ILBs are still on board. Took the best of the bunch.

2:50 Amon-Ra St. Brown, Slot WR: get used to seeing him in my mocks. I love this guy for Tua's slot receiver.

3:81 Abraham Lucas, ORT: Again, get used to seeing this guy in my mocks. A true pass blocking RIGHT Tackle... you may have noticed that our QB throws with his left hand. This guy may be the single best fit-to-team guy in the entire draft.

4:114 Tyler Linderbaum, Center: There were several similarly graded Centers at this spot. Flip a coin.

5:145 Desmond Ridder, QB: Athletic QB from a smaller school. A developmental QB who'd make for an interesting backup for Tua.

New week... new draft slots... newest drunken ideas. Feel free to throw rotten fruit and vegetables.

1:11 Devonta Smith. While I do see him as a bit of a tweener flanker/slot due to his weight, he does get open... sometimes VERY open, and his versatility to play all 3 WR spots can only help.

1:22 Travis Etienne. Nothing has changed since my last mock. It's a bit early for him, but I'll take the risk.

2:42 Patrick Jones ii, Edge (DE) Pittsburgh. Missed on the ILBs that I covet, so I selected an edge that I really like. Honestly, if he is actually here, I'd do cartwheels. I think he goes earlier than this.

2:55 Amon-Ra St. Brown Slot WR. I still think he may end up being the best slot in this draft. Sneaky routes.

3:86 Abraham Lucas RT. Love this guy... again though, I doubt if he lasts this long. More likely... I miss on Jones and move St. Brown and Lucas up one pick each.

4:119 Palaie Gaoteote IV MLB. Yes, a longer shot ILB candidate. Watch his film though, USC lines him up all over the formation. He has a Van Ginkle like motor. He's been playing at 250 lbs and playing OLB.

5:150 Alec Lindstrom Center. His father played in the NFL. His brother plays in the NFL. Alec will play in the NFL. Are they the next Pouncey brothers (minus the guns and drugs)? Maybe.

Taking two slot WR's does not make a lot of sense.

St Brown is a pure slot and Smith is best in the slot. I don't want to draft Smith and then not use him in his best position.

I won't mention taking a RB in round 1........................oops.

Taking two slot WR's does not make a lot of sense.

St Brown is a pure slot and Smith is best in the slot. I don't want to draft Smith and then not use him in his best position.

I won't mention taking a RB in round 1........................oops.
Heh! I'm surprised that I haven't gotten more grief for that one... but, as you can see, I am not one of those who follows all of the current trendy ideas. If a player would fix one of our major weaknesses, then I'll take him a half round early. I'm OK with that.

As far as Devonta goes... I don't think he is limited to the slot, or even that slot is his best position... after all, Waddle fulfills that role on his current team. I think he could play slot very well... and that his ability to play all three positions would help us scheme him against weaker coverages.

This week's drunken madness...

• 9.​

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png

Miami Dolphins
    Ja'Marr Chase
    WR, LSU
  • 22.​

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png

Miami Dolphins
    Christian Darrisaw
    OT, Virginia Tech
  • 41.​