It's going to take more than just the draft to fix this team | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's going to take more than just the draft to fix this team

You know what? I can’t argue with any of that, you are right. We could’ve drafted Rodgers way back when, and we could’ve traded up for Mahomes, in fact we were closer to that draft pick where he was drafted than the chiefs. We could’ve traded back and drafted Lamar Jackson last year and picked up an extra draft pick or two.

I support the concept of rebuilding, but I wasn’t sure trading Tunsil was such a great idea, because I wasn’t sure even with all of those picks we got for him we would be able to replace that level of talent (the rest of the country I think doesn’t appreciate him). But, on the other hand, if we choose wisely which as you say there is no evidence of us doing thus far, then that is an awful lot of draft capital and salary cap room to rebuild this roster quickly. The Dallas Cowboys of the 90s are the only team that was 1-15 bad JJ’s first year, and then with that Herschel Walker trade became the dynasty of the mid 90’s. Not sure Grier and the FO can do as well as JJ did, but at this point, I embrace the tank with my hands over my eyes.

The hail for Walker was much greater and had so many loopholes it's not even comparable. Dallas also already had the 1st pick in the draft and very good building blocks on the line in Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan and Mark Tunai already on the roster. That very same year they drafted Troy Aikman, Steve Walsh, Mark Stepnostki and Darryl Johnston the previous year they drafted Michael Irvin. The Cowboys did not do a mass purge to build a team and drafted Hall of Famers in the draft and previous year. Stepnostki from that draft was an 8-time all-pro center, Johnston was a 2-time pro bowl fullback, Tolbert, a pro bowl del They had two times all-pro Newton on their roster. They had a pro bowl linebacker on their roster already In Ken Norton and experienced defensive players like Jim Jeffcoat and Jack Del Rio. Issac Holt became a standout defender for them that came in that trade and were able to trade picks to still get the first-round pick in addition.
There is and never will be a trade that compares to that trade and again that team did not purge their roster they just improved it every way they could.

We have one player on the current roster who has ever been all-pro with the dolphins

• LB Jesse Solomon
  • LB David Howard
  • CB Issiac Holt
  • RB Darrin Nelson
  • DE Alex Stewart
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

This looks like a 3 year rebuild to me. 1 draft isn’t going to fix this and we honestly need more picks. I’m sure that we have the best chance of locking in the 1st pick in 2020. I would trade it for another teams future. And RGIII draft type of raping. There is no QB that will help us. I would go all in on the trenches in 2020.
Totally agree

The hail for Walker was much greater and had so many loopholes it's not even comparable. Dallas also already had the 1st pick in the draft and very good building blocks on the line in Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan and Mark Tunai already on the roster. That very same year they drafted Troy Aikman, Steve Walsh, Mark Stepnostki and Darryl Johnston the previous year they drafted Michael Irvin. The Cowboys did not do a mass purge to build a team and drafted Hall of Famers in the draft and previous year. Stepnostki from that draft was an 8-time all-pro center, Johnston was a 2-time pro bowl fullback, Tolbert, a pro bowl del They had two times all-pro Newton on their roster. They had a pro bowl linebacker on their roster already In Ken Norton and experienced defensive players like Jim Jeffcoat and Jack Del Rio. Issac Holt became a standout defender for them that came in that trade and were able to trade picks to still get the first-round pick in addition.
There is and never will be a trade that compares to that trade and again that team did not purge their roster they just improved it every way they could.

We have one player on the current roster who has ever been all-pro with the dolphins

• LB Jesse Solomon
  • LB David Howard
  • CB Issiac Holt
  • RB Darrin Nelson
  • DE Alex Stewart
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

Yeah, that was a hell of a haul...

Back
Top Bottom