It’s Hard Settling A Qb Competition When Neither Player Steps Up | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It’s Hard Settling A Qb Competition When Neither Player Steps Up

Lots of good points here; I'm thinking that much of our disagreement with Rosen is semantic. Most QB coming out of college are developmental. There are very few college QB who come out and light it up as rookies. I think the upside on Rosen is considerably higher than that of Grier, Stick, etc...and I still think the chance of his success is higher than you're implying. I certainly like his future in the league better than Josh Allen's.

However, I think the 2020 QB options are considerably better than they've been in years - working under the assumption that Tua, Herbert, Fromm and Love all come out. Even if Rosen plays well and shows signs of growth, unless he shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the QB of the future for Miami, they need to draft a first round QB.

What I really don't understand is the narrative that trading for Rosen was a waste. It simply wasn't. I'll go even further than that...Josh Rosen never should have been available to Miami. Steve Keim should have heard the report that when Rosen said, "If you draft Kyler Murray, I'll just beat him in camp," and said "GOOD." He should have let them compete, the better QB starts, the worse one develops. Now, if Murray bombs, and Rosen flourishes, Steve Keim is going to be out of a job next year.

There is absolutely no reason, (again, short of Rosen completely tearing it up) to not draft a QB in round 1 next year, let Rosen compete for the job, and the loser is the backup. At worst, you've got a serviceable QB and a more than serviceable backup for a bargain price. Hopefully, you've got your Franchise QB and a serviceable backup. Best case? You have two QB who have shown franchise potential, and one of them is a very desirable trade target for another team.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part , . . . depending on your definition of "tearing it up." If he shows top 10 talent and Flo sees a higher ceiling, that IS a good reason to skip a QB in '20. Teams with good QBs don't go drafting a QB every year. I still think, if Rosen shows he's a solid QB and shows improvement throughout '19, there'll be no '20 QB. OTOH, if he shows he's Henne 2.0, . . .

They didn't pay a 2nd round pick because they thought it was a legitimate possibility.

He's a developmental quarterback. We can't suddenly act like we're completely unfamiliar with the idea of taking developmental quarterbacks in the draft. Patriots have been doing it for years, most often in the 3rd round. And 3rd round is exactly the price Chris Grier kept trying to get the Cardinals to take for Josh Rosen, but in the final minute he decided to up the price to a late-2nd round pick just to get the thing done and out of the way.

Many of us were clamoring for the Dolphins to take a developmental guy in this year's draft, e.g. Will Grier, Easton Stick, etc. Would either of those guys automatically have started in 2019 with the idea they might be super awesome and induce us to avoid the 2020 QB market? No. They would've also been developmental guys, and you develop those guys the way you see most fit to get them to be the best player they can. That's what they're doing with Josh Rosen, and they have continuously, repeatedly hammered into our thick skulls that the best way to do that is NOT to just hand him the starting job.

They've got 3 years to try and develop Josh Rosen into the best asset he can be. And if they do it, history shows that QBs are tradeable commodities. In the words of NFL executives, who say these things to guys like Adam Schefter, "quarterbacks are currency".

And even if the 3 years run up before they can get someone to trade for Rosen, if he DOES end up a good quarterback, then when he hits free agency in 2022, he ends up signing a big contract, and Miami will get a compensatory pick for him in 2023. Meanwhile they've gotten 3 years of backup QB from a guy for the low price of $2 million (total). A team normally pays $4 to $6 million per year for a capable backup.

You knocked it out of the park with this. Bring on the 2020 QB.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part , . . . depending on your definition of "tearing it up." If he shows top 10 talent and Flo sees a higher ceiling, that IS a good reason to skip a QB in '20. Teams with good QBs don't go drafting a QB every year. I still think, if Rosen shows he's a solid QB and shows improvement throughout '19, there'll be no '20 QB. OTOH, if he shows he's Henne 2.0, . . .

I think Rosen would have to prove a LOT for us to not look @QB R1 in 20 >>> IF >>> there's one available
when we pick that fits the vaunted "franchise" echelon. Certainly that has a lot do do with our draft slot
and what we might collect in a trade down (if it's a boat load I'd certainly consider).

But all speculation at this point of course.

All I know is that right now ALL options are open. And it's good we have options...

I think if Rosen is widely considered to be a top 10 QB at the end of the year, he's torn it up. Fair?

I think if Rosen is widely considered to be a top 10 QB at the end of the year, he's torn it up. Fair?

I'll go with that. Now, top 10 based on what? QBR? A poll by ESPN? Based on all his games, or, for example, his last 6?

The best outcome for the Dolphins is to not NEED to take a QB in the first round in 2020.

It would be a great outcome to have a top-5 pick and be able to trade it away to a QB-needy team for a ransom, then use the wealth of picks to build the foundation of the team. But, if Rosen plays well enough to ensure that QB is not a need pick in the 2020 first round, the Dolphins likely will not be picking in the top 5.

They didn't pay a 2nd round pick because they thought it was a legitimate possibility.

He's a developmental quarterback. We can't suddenly act like we're completely unfamiliar with the idea of taking developmental quarterbacks in the draft. Patriots have been doing it for years, most often in the 3rd round. And 3rd round is exactly the price Chris Grier kept trying to get the Cardinals to take for Josh Rosen, but in the final minute he decided to up the price to a late-2nd round pick just to get the thing done and out of the way.

Many of us were clamoring for the Dolphins to take a developmental guy in this year's draft, e.g. Will Grier, Easton Stick, etc. Would either of those guys automatically have started in 2019 with the idea they might be super awesome and induce us to avoid the 2020 QB market? No. They would've also been developmental guys, and you develop those guys the way you see most fit to get them to be the best player they can. That's what they're doing with Josh Rosen, and they have continuously, repeatedly hammered into our thick skulls that the best way to do that is NOT to just hand him the starting job.

They've got 3 years to try and develop Josh Rosen into the best asset he can be. And if they do it, history shows that QBs are tradeable commodities. In the words of NFL executives, who say these things to guys like Adam Schefter, "quarterbacks are currency".

And even if the 3 years run up before they can get someone to trade for Rosen, if he DOES end up a good quarterback, then when he hits free agency in 2022, he ends up signing a big contract, and Miami will get a compensatory pick for him in 2023. Meanwhile they've gotten 3 years of backup QB from a guy for the low price of $2 million (total). A team normally pays $4 to $6 million per year for a capable backup.

All this time spent on Stick and nothing but hate when I said Minschew would be the better guy to develop.

Back
Top Bottom