It’s Hard Settling A Qb Competition When Neither Player Steps Up | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It’s Hard Settling A Qb Competition When Neither Player Steps Up

I see a problem with many of these posts.

It's the presumptuous assumptions made as to how to judge a QB's performance in the preseason. I can tell you right now that it is not about a single heroic play, but a level of consistent competence demonstrated in performing the play that's called.

Preseason is a time to test all the players as part of a team. The play calls may be more for the coaches to determine how certain members of the offense, who are not the QB, perform under available situations. The QB's job is to function reliably within the plays called. The coaches will look at how well they follow through on their assignment, not on if they throw for a TD.

If we can get players who are competent in doing their jobs; play calling should address the scoring.

We might also want to take into consideration this is the first year for these coaches under a new HC. That means communications and organization is still a little off from what we can expect to see half way thru this season.

Just my "insight" of preseason games.

Maybe so.

Projection always comes down to a gut feeling based on the information at hand. Organizing and adding volume to the information used doesn't necessarily change that, though doing it right can increase the chances that your gut feeling is correct.

Brian Flores has been trying to hammer it into everyone's skulls that they're taking the long view on Josh Rosen. I think that's wise. Maybe he starts. Maybe he doesn't.

I'm not sure how long of a "long view" you can afford to take on Rosen. Granted you want to put him out there when he's ready. But you also want to get a good enough look at him to determine if you have something there. My initial impression is no! At least not franchise QB type stuff.

The other consideration here, as i see it, is maybe Flores just want to win as many games as possible. If that's the case, which i suspected, then he's likely more inclined to go with Fitz. Hate him or love him in the short-term you're probably more likely to generate wins with the Vet over the Rookie.

The GM maybe thinking tank for Tua or Herbert or Fromm but Flores is saying "Screw that!" I'm going to to try and make it to the playoffs...

My long view is 16 games.

Flip the narrative or I’m sprinting up that qb card for competition at least.

Nothing is blowing me away with Fitz or Rosen during the preseason.

Which in my mind means it's Rosen's job.

At this point, I don't really care who starts at QB. We will be drafting our next QB in the 2020 draft. Not only are we gonna be bad this year, I get the feeling Flores sees something he doesnt like in Rosen. Connecting the dots with his comments.

I see a problem with many of these posts.

It's the presumptuous assumptions made as to how to judge a QB's performance in the preseason. I can tell you right now that it is not about a single heroic play, but a level of consistent competence demonstrated in performing the play that's called.

Preseason is a time to test all the players as part of a team. The play calls may be more for the coaches to determine how certain members of the offense, who are not the QB, perform under available situations. The QB's job is to function reliably within the plays called. The coaches will look at how well they follow through on their assignment, not on if they throw for a TD.

If we can get players who are competent in doing their jobs; play calling should address the scoring.

We might also want to take into consideration this is the first year for these coaches under a new HC. That means communications and organization is still a little off from what we can expect to see half way thru this season.

Just my "insight" of preseason games.

Agree, but another 'debate' is how long Flo and staff need to see Rosen before they know what they have. I don't subscribe to the myth of 16 games or 'haven't seen enough in PS. Coaches want to see 4 basic things - physical talent/mechanics, mental quickness, reads, and leadership. everything else is generally under those 4. Physical talent and mechanics evaluations are done. They know if the talent is there and if Rosen can master the mechanics. They have a good understanding of the others - maybe not complete, but an understanding. I'm guessing they're 80% done at a minimum. Game three will fill in some more of those unknowns. It won't take 16 games to know what Rosen is.

As if Mando's credibility was really at stake any longer, after being so anti-Rosen trade, he's feeding the gullible who still think he's any more tuned in than they are. #FauxNews

Just wait until half Cuban Kiko gets traded or released... he'll go as crazy as he did about a certain former QB and Castro. Just watch

As an aside, it's really not hard to figure out why excellent beat writers like Darlington move on up to the national big time while Mando and Omar continue to wallow in mediocrity

Agree, but another 'debate' is how long Flo and staff need to see Rosen before they know what they have. I don't subscribe to the myth of 16 games or 'haven't seen enough in PS. Coaches want to see 4 basic things - physical talent/mechanics, mental quickness, reads, and leadership. everything else is generally under those 4. Physical talent and mechanics evaluations are done. They know if the talent is there and if Rosen can master the mechanics. They have a good understanding of the others - maybe not complete, but an understanding. I'm guessing they're 80% done at a minimum. Game three will fill in some more of those unknowns. It won't take 16 games to know what Rosen is.

I agree.

I've posted before that I felt Flores might start Fitz in order to let Rosen get better adapted to the playbook prior to letting him start.

I still think it will be three or four games before Rosen starts a game, but he may be brought in during any of the first games:

1) to play because we have built up a lead and let Rosen get some playing time for the good of the team.
2) to get Fitz out because he starts to have too many interceptions.
3) to play because we have fallen behind and Fritz is being inconsistent.
4) to play because Fritz gets injured.

There is no reason for Flores to start Rosen if he doesn't feel he gives us the best chance to win, no mater how posters feel about developing Rosen or just getting rid of him.

Anybody who uses QBR in preseason as a measuring stick is automatically disqualified from the discussion. Good bye Salguero. You have been voted out.
I recall Marino having like a 37 one game in his prime and people jumping on it. LOL.

I agree.

I've posted before that I felt Flores might start Fitz in order to let Rosen get better adapted to the playbook prior to letting him start.

I still think it will be three or four games before Rosen starts a game, but he may be brought in during any of the first games:

1) to play because we have built up a lead and let Rosen get some playing time for the good of the team.
2) to get Fitz out because he starts to have too many interceptions.
3) to play because we have fallen behind and Fritz is being inconsistent.
4) to play because Fritz gets injured.

There is no reason for Flores to start Rosen if he doesn't feel he gives us the best chance to win, no mater how posters feel about developing Rosen or just getting rid of him.

You expecting him to play in 2020 then?

Thread warning: This is not a Tannehill thread.

Question, i've ALWAYS wanted to ask and know. How do you as a mod i'm assuming, know when one of these 100s of threads and comments area against the rules?

Is it based on folks reporting it?
Is it based on you and/or someone else literally sitting there looking at every post as it's made?

Additionally If i have something "manly" to say to another member via a private message, would you know the content of that "arm wrestling" message?

Curious Minds
-Thanks

Question, i've ALWAYS wanted to ask and know. How do you as a mod i'm assuming, know when one of these 100s of threads and comments area against the rules?

Is it based on folks reporting it?
Is it based on you and/or someone else literally sitting there looking at every post as it's made?

Additionally If i have something "manly" to say to another member via a private message, would you know the content of that "arm wrestling" message?

Curious Minds
-Thanks
Mods and admins read as many threads and posts as possible. Sometimes if we miss something we rely on reporting.
PMs are private. Only you and the person(s) you ave engaged in PMs will be able to read them. Unless you report a PM (or get reported) or invite a mod/admin to the conversation we have no clue what is going on in PM lala land.

Mods and admins read as many threads and posts as possible. Sometimes if we miss something we rely on reporting.
PMs are private. Only you and the person(s) you ave engaged in PMs will be able to read them. Unless you report a PM (or get reported) or invite a mod/admin to the conversation we have no clue what is going on in PM lala land.

That's pretty cool...How can one be a MOD for a day? A week?
I bet it feels powerful like the hand of a GM to push the BAN button next to the members name.
I wouldn't want the other responsibilities just to click that button.

I'd like to submit a CV if applications are being tendered.

:lmfao:
That's pretty cool...How can one be a MOD for a day? A week?
I bet it feels powerful like the hand of a GM to push the BAN button next to the members name.
I wouldn't want the other responsibilities just to click that button.

I'd like to submit a CV if applications are being tendered.

Back
Top Bottom