Its not Jeff Ireland..Its Joe Philbin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its not Jeff Ireland..Its Joe Philbin

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
Before we start to run off a cliff here about the maddening moves by the dolphins, or lack thereof any moves...Lets just take a look at how the Green Bay Packers franchises operates. We can all agree that the Packers franchise is one of the classiest, well thought of and well run franchises in the league. It all starts with a philosophy that Mike Mccarthy and Ted Thompson instil in their team and players. Look what they did when Brett Farve, maybe the best quarterback to ever play the game tried to hold them hostage...they said see ya, we are going to give the offense to Aaron Rodgers who has never played a snap in the nfl (or very little if any). Do you see them running out to sign big name free agents or cave when their star players demand big money? Do you see them allowing diva players with selfish destructive attitudes to continue to play on their team, no matter how good they are? Joe Philbin has brought that culture and philosophy to miami and I think he has a little more control over this team than you may think. Face it, we may hate Jeff Ireland, but Jeff Ireland has no power in miami, hes just the fall guy. Ala brett farve, peyton manning tried to hold the dolphins hostige..Philbin said, nope, you can go to denver we dont want you or all your mvps. Take a look at the compensatory picks given out today..The packers got two 4th round picks. People think a franchise in the NFL starts with a Quarterback..but a quarterback would be worthless without the head coach. The Head Coach comes first...All the great Quarterbacks have come after the head coach. All the failed quarterbacking projects that the Miami Dolphins have endevored in are going to stop. Not because we will pass on the wrong qbs or sign the right ones, but because great coaches win with what they are given. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner..werent great football talents, but they won superbowls because they had great coaches. Isnt this what this is all about? Winning superbowls? for the last few years its been about winning 11-12 games..making the playoffs and put in a good showing! But with Philbin running the show..they have no illlusions, this franchise is now about winning superbowls. Doesnt that excite you? I dont care what weve done this offseason, who we signed, who we didnt, who we traded and how ripped off we got. The simple fact that this franchise is about winning superbowls is the most exciting moment since a coach named Don Shula drafted a quarterback named dan marino. We all can remember, Marino was the 5th quarterback taken in the 1983 draft. The pick was panned after Marino had a poor senior season. But the dolphins had a plan, and a winning culture, something we have not had in Miami since the mucky mucks in the front office forced Shula out. Our time has come. Our coach has come. Forget the quarterback, wide reciever, right tackle and pass rusher that we dont have. Embrace the philosophy. Embrace the coach. Embrace the culture. And you will embrace success.

I've been saying this all along. Teams are built through the draft. My complaint however, is the fact remains that players are turned off by Ross/Ireland. Hopefully that changes if we start winning.

For the record, Marino was the 6th QB taken, not the 5th.

Ozzy rules!!

It's pretty funny that with the way things have worked out, Joe Philbin will get all of the credit for turning this ship around (if it does indeed get turned around), and Ireland will get all of the blame if it doesn't.

Gonna be an interesting season.

I've been saying this all along. Teams are built through the draft. My complaint however, is the fact remains that players are turned off by Ross/Ireland. Hopefully that changes if we start winning.[
/QUOTE]
I think this is the biggest bunch of bull. Not talking at you traptses, but this whole notion of Ireland being a problem. This is created by the fans/media in concert.

I fully buy into the character thing and family atmosphere and getting high quality players and then keeping them.

Its also why I dont see us drafting certain players that alot of people on here want.

f
I've been saying this all along. Teams are built through the draft. My complaint however, is the fact remains that players are turned off by Ross/Ireland. Hopefully that changes if we start winning.[
/QUOTE]
I think this is the biggest bunch of bull. Not talking at you traptses, but this whole notion of Ireland being a problem. This is created by the fans/media in concert.

I fully buy into the character thing and family atmosphere and getting high quality players and then keeping them.

Its also why I dont see us drafting certain players that alot of people on here want.

When have the players the people here have wanted in the draft ever turned out to be any good?

For them not to sign at least 2 young free agent to come in and start is inexcusable. Artie Hicks? Give me a break.

kind of revisionist history here. Shula himself admits he wasn't gunning for m,arino in the draft. We got lucky and marino fell to us. Not that i would ever try to diminish the greatness that is marino but facts are facts. Most of the league thought marino was a coke head because many members of his team had been caught at a huge coke party. Smarts and building through the draft are great watys to run a franchise but a little luck never hurts either.

Philbin WILL NOT WIN with the QB situation we have now.

Philbin won with a QB HE was instrumental in picking. So let him pick Tannehill.

As frustrated as I've been with this team, Gotta say I agree with OP.

I'll admit though, I would still like to see Brandon Marshall thrive in a Philbin-run team. I think he deserved another shot in a smarter-coached environment.

The rest of OP's post Is true though. You need to create a healthy environment to create a winning atmosphere. Also, this is only Philbin's first year coming up. If we end up out of the playoffs, but look as though were playing to win and dominate both physically and mentally, I'll stand by the guy 100%. I just didn't see that with Sparano: guys playing dazed and confused, bonehead coaching decisions, not playing to win (field goals).
The identity of the fins is what needs to blossom, hopefully Philbin's the one to strike the match and light the way.

The funny thing is we interviewed high priced FA. So unless all the interviews we had were just for ****s and giggles I don't agree with we are just going to do it through the draft. If you take a look at the Packers they don't even talk to high priced guys. The same with others team that I keep seeing mentioned in these Dolphins should do it like these franchise teams. We have talking to at least 2 players this off season who were looking for a ton of money.

Back
Top Bottom