Its official Kyle Pitts is greatest TE prospect | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its official Kyle Pitts is greatest TE prospect

His blocking was not as poor as a lot of flex TE prospects that come out, Gesicki included, based on how he progressed this past year at it, argument could be made for him developing into a decent blocker.

He doesn't need to be all-world at it, it just has to be functional and enough for Ds not to be able to discard him staying on the line as a possibility.

Kyle Pitts is a phenomenal specimen at 6'5" & 246 lbs., having just recently run 1.50 ten yard and 2.58 twenty yard splits.

And yet when it comes to the passing game, he's still somehow more football player than athlete.

His in-line blocking is good, but he still has to work on his blocking in space.

He's like the upside-down O.J. Howard.

Howard was a phenomenal specimen but much more athlete than football player in the passing game. And for all his blocking was touted, and he was one of the best blockers in space that I'd ever seen coming out among tight ends, his in-line blocking wasn't anything special and had room for improvement.

You are not going to have Kyle Pitts in-line pass blocking much. Even if he was a 0 at this, which he’s not, it’s not very relevant into his prospect makeup.

Think to how Kelce is used. The majority of Pitts blocking should come off split plays and other misdirections. He’s often going to be blocking across the formation, or on the move, instead of blocking straight up from an inline spot.

if he’s not split out, he should be in an h-back/ split back position. This gets him on the move.

here is an example of how Pitts is going to be asked to block, and him executing it.

Empties the clip when asked to block in-line.

You are not going to have Kyle Pitts in-line pass blocking much. Even if he was a 0 at this, which he’s not, it’s not very relevant into his prospect makeup.

Think to how Kelce is used. The majority of Pitts blocking should come off split plays and other misdirections. He’s often going to be blocking across the formation, or on the move, instead of blocking straight up from an inline spot.

if he’s not split out, he should be in an h-back/ split back position. This gets him on the move.

here is an example of how Pitts is going to be asked to block, and him executing it.

Empties the clip when asked to block in-line.

Well that's against DeMarvin Leal in the first clip - top underclassman DE in my rankings heading into next year. You won't see many 6'4", 290 pound guys with his athleticism, explosiveness, agility and bend. Not too far off from a Mario Williams comparison. Type of kid who could rack up 100 sacks in the NFL by the time his career is over.

As long as I've been doing this I've never wanted to put a TE as the top overall prospect in the draft.

Until now.

Pitts is that unique of a talent and has proven his dominance - the QB's cause me doubt. The way Pitts transitions from catch to run, and ability to catch the ball in stride and tuck it away is magnificent even by elite WR standards. Even if you can manage to stay with him you still can't stop him from catching the football because he's so big and physical at the catchpoint. Basically uncoverable and you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to matchup with him.

Best overall athlete in the draft that just happens to also score points. Those are tough combination to beat.

Well that's against DeMarvin Leal in the first clip - top underclassman DE in my rankings heading into next year. You won't see many 6'4", 290 pound guys with his athleticism, explosiveness, agility and bend. Not too far off from a Mario Williams comparison. Type of kid who could rack up 100 sacks in the NFL by the time his career is over.

As long as I've been doing this I've never wanted to put a TE as the top overall prospect in the draft.

Until now.

Pitts is that unique of a talent and has proven his dominance - the QB's cause me doubt. The way Pitts transitions from catch to run, and ability to catch the ball in stride and tuck it away is magnificent even by elite WR standards. Even if you can manage to stay with him you still can't stop him from catching the football because he's so big and physical at the catchpoint. Basically uncoverable and you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to matchup with him.

Best overall athlete in the draft that just happens to also score points. Those are tough combination to beat.
He’s one of those prospects that just impresses you more and more the more you watch of him. Like it was noticeably impressive during the season, but when you go back and watch just how he beats everyone he faces athletically and technically, it’s pure dominance.

I never realized just how clean of a receiver he was until I started watching him closely a few weeks ago.

Kelce was just 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards. And Pitts mimics a lot of what Kelce does. Not Kelce as a prospect, but Kelce as a 3-time all pro. Kelce is a great manipulator of zone coverage, however Kyle Pitts might be an even better route runner than Kelce is today. Both are aces in the redzone.

Until now.

Having the same thoughts as well. Just have to break out of the position mindset.

If he were a straight up WR you'd draft him high. He goes up against the same DBs that Devonta Smith did, e.g. Jaycee Horn, and beats them one on one for catches like Smith did.

And it's not always just a physical box-out situation. Look at him get on top of Tyson Campbell one on one. This is just a straight up vertical route. It's not back shoulder or a jump ball situation.

That play is much more Sterling Sharpe than Shannon Sharpe.

Yet when you get right down to it, he can block in-line. He's somehow better in-line than he is in space, in my honest opinion.

I don't know what Pitts is going to run. There's video of him lasering 1.50 ten yard and 2.58 twenty yard splits, which are right in line with some of the best wide receivers. There are some plays I've questioned his long speed. And then there are plays like this against Kelvin Joseph where you are able to calibrate more properly, and it makes you say, "Oh."

At what point do we stop looking at him as a tight end and start considering him as a Mike Evans, except able to be played in more positions than Mike Evans?

I was being fasicious since everyone has such a hard on for him as a prospect.

And I'm waiting for others to throw some names at me of other TEs that were top 10/15 picks so they can realize how those guys never lived up to the "new age of TEs".
As others have said, he's not just a TE. How often is there a prospect like Pitts in the draft? If I'm making the pick I 100% swing for the fences and take Pitts.

Gators could have chosen to never play Kyle Pitts inside or in-line, and he'd be Mike Evans.

Evans is 6046 & 231 lbs., ran a 4.53 electronic and 4.46 hand-timed. His splits were not as good as what Pitts showed the other day.

But as much as I love and have always loved Mike Evans, if you threw him into the slot and had him run this route, I'm not sure it would look this good. It might. But I'm not sure.

Last edited:
When you watch how the Buccaneers used Mike Evans this year, you could see Kyle Pitts doing literally any of this.

Fully agree. In a weird way, Mike Evans is possibly his floor as a prospect!!! Depending greatly on where he lands, how he's developed and how he's deployed.

But in truth, he's already in Evans territory and with more arrows in his quiver.

Agree with you guys on Pitts. He's my top non-QB. It's not that I've never seen anything like him coming out of college; it's that I've never seen anything close. His agility and ability to separate vs CB's reminds me more of Kelce than Waller (the typical comp), and CK's video of Pitts working from the slot highlights it.

He does remind me a lot of Mike Evans on 9 routes, but imo he has looser hips and more flexible ankles, and he's heavier and doesn't drop the ball. Factor in his age and the leap he made as a blocker, and he's the ultimate queen on the chess board.

It's funny, because there's a thread on the main, where people are talking about how Miami shouldn't draft Pitts because of Gesicki.

Agree with you guys on Pitts. He's my top non-QB. It's not that I've never seen anything like him coming out of college; it's that I've never seen anything close. His agility and ability to separate vs CB's reminds me more of Kelce than Waller (the typical comp), and CK's video of Pitts working from the slot highlights it.

He does remind me a lot of Mike Evans on 9 routes, but imo he has looser hips and more flexible ankles, and he's heavier and doesn't drop the ball. Factor in his age and the leap he made as a blocker, and he's the ultimate queen on the chess board.

It's funny, because there's a thread on the main, where people are talking about how Miami shouldn't draft Pitts because of Gesicki.

The ultimate queen on the chess board. I think you've got it.

The only danger is, as a coach, there will be a lot of pressure to figure out the BEST way to use that. You'll want to borrow his ability so that other areas of the offense can thrive, but then you don't want to handcuff him and make him less productive when he could be affecting the game directly. Whenever you find yourself looking at a player you've never seen before, you should be a little bit nervous about it.

I also think Pitts sort of fits a little bit of a trend we're seeing. Notice how much of Mike Evans's work in the video above was done on the inside. That's the most slot work Mike Evans has done, by a good bit. And if you look at how he was used, what he was doing to defenders, it really was sort of a big bully pass catcher role that reminds you a bit of a Travis Kelce.

It's not quite the same, it's sort of a different side of the same spectrum if that makes sense, but you're also seeing with guys like D.K. Metcalf and Chase Claypool thrive as bullies on the perimeter.

And then you've got Darren Waller, who defies convention as a WR convert and plays in-line like 65%.

To me this speaks of a little bit of an opportunity with these bigger bodies in the passing game who have speed and agility that outpaces their size and strength....being used in places you'd not necessarily expect them to thrive. Position-less football.

That makes me all the more convinced that Pitts is the right pick for Miami.

As for people saying no because of Mike Gesicki, can they be blamed? It's tough to stay on top of fresh trends.

To them, Kyle Pitts is a tight end, because they've been told he's a tight end, and Mike Gesicki is a tight end too. Their models for two-TE offenses that work are strictly limited to the Gronkowski-Hernandez example, and it's clear that neither Gesicki nor Pitts are Gronkowski. And frankly, neither of them are Hernandez, either. At least, Pitts could play that way, but he's so much more.

I fell prey to that mindset myself until I started looking more closely for a true analog for Kyle Pitts's body, abilities, and game, and realized it's surprisingly closer to Calvin Johnson than anything you find in the tight end realm. Secondarily I think he compares favorably to Mike Evans when he was coming out of college, although I think you nail it that there are some differences where Pitts even out-strips him.

Every time I turned on his tape I thought I was watching a highlight reel. All he does is make plays. Athletic freak.

Back
Top Bottom