Its official: We are interested in Watson per Barry Jackson | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its official: We are interested in Watson per Barry Jackson

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
Whatever the reason, he was very happy in Houston 5 months ago and now he never wants to play for them again.
He used to have this WR friend... a really talented guy, you may have heard of him-- Deandre Hopkins.

Then the owner looked him in the eye and promised him that he would have input over their coming front office decisions... then didn't do what he'd promised.

Both of these things happened... and this was after the Front Office had screwed up in so many other ways. This was one of those straw that broke the camel's back things.

Joe Dolfan

Club Member
Reaction score
He used to have this WR friend... a really talented guy, you may have heard of him-- Deandre Hopkins.

Then the owner looked him in the eye and promised him that he would have input over their coming front office decisions... then didn't do what he'd promised.

Both of these things happened... and this was after the Front Office had screwed up in so many other ways. This was one of those straw that broke the camel's back things.
He gave them names. That's input. He wasn't promised he could choose the GM or coach.

bdizzle00

Scout Team
Reaction score

• MIAMI DOLPHINS. You’d hear a big, loud, “We’re not trading Tua if the Dolphins weren’t at least pondering Watson.” Why wouldn’t they be? It’s extremely hard, after seeing one year of Tua Tagovailoa, to think his mega-upside would equal the 2021 Watson. It’s logical to at least look into it.

Peter King Proposal: Miami trades defensive end Christian Wilkins, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, first-round picks in 2021 (third overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2021 and 2022 for Watson. In essence, Miami is trading the 13th overall pick in 2019 (Wilkins) and the fifth overall pick in 2020 (Tagovailoa), plus two ones and two twos for Watson. Advantage for Miami is the deal would leave the Dolphins with first-round and second-round picks this year and their first next year while giving them a quarterback to play on equal footing with Josh Allen in the AFC East for the next decade.

As nice as it would be to nail a franchise QB for the next decade ... I struggle with the cost .... his 156 million dollar contract AND the loss of 2 players AND 4 top draft picks (potential talent, resources to maneuver in the draft and the friendly cap numbers) ... puts us in a cap strapped talentless position that we know so well .... we, only recently, got things trending upward ...

For those reasons ... I'm out ... many of us have seen well built TEAMS with avg to above avg QB's win consistently and compete in the playoffs and even win a super bowl .... Hell yes I want a franchise megastar QB ... but not at the expense of setting us back years in a 10-6 or 11-5 team ... not really much difference in the 8-8 or 9-7 teams we have fielded in recent years ...

Draft Parsons ... use the next 3 picks on offense ... adding a dynamic player on defense to solidify a pretty darn good unit AND add talent to the offense would be my direction given where we are right now.

IF we had the talent needed with the skills I would look at this through a different lens .... our strength as a team is on defense right now ... DO NOT IGNORE an opportunity to make it special ....

Build the team ... the QB will follow

IMO, the cost is a non-issue for 2 reasons, number one, because we currently have the luxury of half the draft picks probably needed to make a deal being extra picks, and number 2, because the actual players we'd likely end up taking will not be the home runs people act like they most certainly would be.
Additionally, his salary would not make us "cash strapped", as he only would cost us $10 million next year in a down cap year, and then the salary cap is set to go up significantly.

For those that don't want to trade for Watson because they think that Tua is the guy, I totally get that and can get behind that. What i can't get behind is the thought process that 2 1's, 2 2's, and maybe a player or 2 would be too much to get a QB of Watson's caliber.

DPhinz_DPhinz

I cash reality checks....
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Gotta tell you that I'm. sick of these cancerous players who want to turn into union rep scumbags and not honor their word to the team. It's getting to be more and more each year of these prima donnas trying to force a trade via acting like petulant children on social media. They have no honor. If I’m Houston I tell Watson he can retire from football or play for us, That’s it. We’re prepared to dock your pay per your contract for every missed appearance/practice/workout. We will never trade your rights and are prepared to do whatever it takes to make certain that you honor the contract you signed. You're a player not a coach and certainly not an executive. Ownership and the Exec office will continue to make the best decisions they can to help the team. It really rankles me. I'm 2021'ed the F out.

9b13bef8ac2a9c02a50a73be577687b7.gif

Mach2

Club Member
Reaction score
That is a cop out and you know it.
This topic was all over sports news few weeks ago. And even Hou management did not deny it.
We can discuss other aspects of the Watson situation. But if you take the 'ostrich' approch to the 'input' factor, then I cannot take you seriously.
I notice you cropped the majority of my post. Conveniently....

Here is a direct question. Do you believe anyone told him he could pick the next GM or HC?

I do not, and if not, the rest is just BS. Input only means they will consider his ideas, not that he has any veto, or makes the final decision.

You can argue they didn't give his input due consideration, but at the end of the day, they were going to hire who they wanted. If he believed otherwise, he was being naive.

Vaark

Flocci non faccio
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Is that concrete all around or is it in my head?
I notice you cropped the majority of my post. Conveniently....

Here is a direct question. Do you believe anyone told him he could pick the next GM or HC?

I do not, and if not, the rest is just BS. Input only means they will consider his ideas, not that he has any veto, or makes the final decision.

You can argue they didn't give his input due consideration, but at the end of the day, they were going to hire who they wanted. If he believed otherwise, he was being naive.
It isn't that cut and dried.
They paid Korn Ferry $hundreds of thousands to identify and recruit qualified GM candidates and at the last minute the unqualified grifter pastor, to solidify his position, convinced the owner to hire one of his homies instead

when every club was conducting zoom interviews,Houston in a power play to show who's boss would not even go through the motions by even giving Watson's 2 recommendations even courtesy 45 minute interviews.

This Easterby is a cancer and no one can be faulted for understanding that and wanting out!

Last edited:

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
What i can't get behind is the thought process that 2 1's, 2 2's, and maybe a player or 2 would be too much to get a QB of Watson's caliber.
Different opinions clearly ... no biggie ... I don't see a player of anybody's caliber with the ability (in this sport) to shoulder a team regardless of the jags playing around him ...

I've seen HOF QB's never win a Super Bowl with average talent around him ...

I've seen seemingly average QB's with a talented team around them win a Super Bowl ...

vague point @ :40

Given our team roster I stay the course ....

As Elton would say ....

Just thought I would lighten it up lol

Snoop

Second String
Reaction score
They paid Korn Ferry $hundreds of thousands to identify and recruit qualified GM candidates and at the last minute the unqualified grifter pastor, to solidify his position, convinced the owner to hire one of his homies instead

when every club was conducting zoom interviews,Houston in a power play to show who's boss would not even go through the motions by even giving Watson's 2 recommendations even courtesy 45 minute interviews.

This Asterby is a cancer and no one can be faulted for understanding that and wanting out!
Yea I mean the two names Watson apparently recommended they take a look at were Bienemy and Saleh. He wasn’t demanding they hire one of them, he just wanted them to consider them and carry out their due dillugence and interview them. He was told ownership/management would seek out his input so he said okay I’ve heard good things about these two guys. And yet Houston was the only team with a HC opening that didn’t interview Saleh. And there was a brief window during wildcard week where the chiefs had their bye and EB was doing interviews with all these teams...but not with Houston. They had no interest. They only reached out to EB after the situation with Watson had hit the fan.

Mach2

Club Member
Reaction score

This Asterby is a cancer and no one can be faulted for understanding that and wanting out!
But that brings us right back to just waiting, and getting out as a FA.

Are the bigger a$$holes today, than they they were a few months ago?

Look, it's obvious the organization has been a clown show, since the Tunsil trade, and really even before. He had an avenue to get out with FA.

Since this guy isn't a Dolphin, and nobody is going to change their opinion at this point anyway, I'm done with the arguement.

Rev Kev

InTUAtive
Club Member
Reaction score
Whatever the reason, he was very happy in Houston 5 months ago and now he never wants to play for them again.
The place was is a bleep show yet he was happy to take them to the bank himself - he should have realized that there wasn’t enough dough to keep everyone around including his buddy Hopkins

As the saying goes he wants to both cut and eat his cake

RastaMan407

Scout Team
Reaction score
The place was is a bleep show yet he was happy to take them to the bank himself - he should have realized that there wasn’t enough dough to keep everyone around including his buddy Hopkins

As the saying goes he wants to both cut and eat his cake
You have to be trolling here. Yes you are right DW did sign the contract and he was so thankful to the owners but something happened to make this man do a complete 180 and instead of focusing on the problem you’re spending a lot time focusing on the reaction. Here’s the facts:

1. Hiring of a search - A complete sham which they put together a committee provide their input, comes back with a list of qualified candidates only to go and hire his friend from the Patriots and he finds out on social media.

2. They don’t respect Watson - He’s your franchise QB and they came to him. He asked you to interview 2 candidates, Now I don’t know you but let’s say I did and you’re running a very successful business and have some openings and I come to you and say I might have someone who might be a fit for one or the open position can you interview to see if he’s a fit? Most people I know out of respect for their friend or someone who they think highly of would conduct the Interview and the Texans couldn’t even get that right!! Also, I’m pretty sure there other things we don’t know about as well. There is too much undermining in that organization from they brought in a 65yr old coach for a rebuild and waiting in the wings to be their next HC Josh McCown.

Aqua Marino (UK)

Club Member
Reaction score
Tua is the BIGGEST BUST OF ALL TIME! HE IS A THIRD STRING QB AT BEST, TRADE HIS ***!!! ANYONE WHO DISAGREES JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL!!!
Do you really believe that after 9 games, no pre-season and coming off a career threatening injury?

Peyton Manning really struggled his rookie year. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to judge a guy after 9 games seems hasty?

Time will tell but I find it hard to pass judgement on Tua after a career that has so far lasted just over half a season.

Let’s see what happens next season with an upgraded offense and a full programme. He might just change your mind 😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom