It's Only Just Starting | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Only Just Starting

ChaozFilms

It aint over till Queen Latifah sings!
Reaction score
Let's settle down everybody and look at the 2006 season from a realistic and constructive perspective. Did we really think that after a 1-6 start we'd make the playoffs? I doubt it. We tried to convince ourselves. But we never really believed it. Can we make it at 9-7 now? Hardly. But the season wasn't wasted. We learned some things that will help in rebuiliding:

• Chris Chambers is NOT the the reliable Number 1 WR every is making him out to be. Is he good? Yeah. But is he better than Booker? It's hard to make a case that he is. We have two very reliable Number 2 guys in Chambers and Booker but we still need to find that pro bowl caliber guy. Nothing that I've seen in Hagan so far tells me he'll be the guy. And being a rookie shouldn't be an excuse this late in the season. Just ask Marques Colston or Greg Jennings.
  • Ronnie Brown is NOT the complete solution to our RB problem. He's better than what we had in 2004, but he's no Ricky Williams. If Ricky is back next year along with Ronnie they'll make a great tandem. If Ricky doesn't come back we need to sign a semi-big name or draft a rookie RB that can complement Ronnie's running game.
  • Both Joey Harrington and Daunte Culpepper are good enough guys to build a team around. If we go with Culpepper making a move for Moss in the offseason is important. The guy needs a target he's comfortable with, and lets be honest. Would you be confident throwing the ball to Chambers? I know that Moss has the potential to be a cancer, but so did Lawrence Taylor. Guys can change with a good team and a solid coach. Oakland isn't that, so guys, give Moss a chance. If Harrington becomes our guy we need to get him guys like Brady has in NE. He doesn't beat you with his arm, but his quick dump off is effective with guys that are clutch and don't have the drops.
  • Our secondary is good. Yeah, they had a bad game yesterday, but they're gelling. By the end of the season we could have an above-average solid unit.
  • Our defensive line is getting older, but it's still very deep and will hold for some more years while the rebuilding goes on. Eventually we will need new guys though. Oddly enough this is probably the area that worries me the most.
  • The O-Line is gelling nicely and will be healthier next season. They won't be giving up the early sacks they did early this season unless injury plagues them again. If Ricky returns it'll be a huge boost for this unit because lets face it, Ronnie isn't scaring anybody right now, and that doesn't help this unit out at all.
  • Now, you're all going to kill me, but Mike Mularky has to STAY. I don't like his play-calling. I think it's average. But tell me. Who out there is better? I think we need to be consistent at least one more year before we get a new OC. Things are looking bad in St. Louis right now and you never know, in 2 or 3 years Linehan may be on the market for another OC gig.
  • TE/FB is starting to be a major issue. Wether it's blocking for the runner or pass protecting these guys haven't gotten the job done and we need to look for different alternatives. Is this CRUCIAL? No. But it wouldn't hurt.
We have to remember that this is only 2006. 2004 wasn't too far away. We're still rebuilding! Anybody who thought Super Bowl in 2006 was just being unfair to this team and its coach, Nick Saban. If healthy this is what our offense could look like next year:

QB = Daunte Culpepper
RB = Ricky Williams
RB = Ronnie Brown
TE = Randy McMichael
WR = Randy Moss
WR = Chris Chambers
WR = Marty Booker
WR = Wes Welker

And with future projects like Derek Hagan, Cleo Lemon, and Marcus Vick I'd say this team can definitely get real deep real quick. We just need to give these Miami Dolphins a little more time.

That's all well and good but where's the O-line and the D in all of that? Games are won and lost in the trenches and as we've seen, teams with good defenses, New England, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay win championships over those teams with flashy offenses.

Wallace758 said:
This Team Will Be Bad For The Next 5 Years. No Qb, No Ol, Old Defense, We'll Be Good In 2010
Great optimism...I also noticed on another thread you stated we are a terrible organization....Why even bother being a fan, its obvious you hate the dolphins...So please dont say "We"... "We" are the fans...

ChaozFilms said:
Chris Chambers is NOT the the reliable Number 1 WR every is making him out to be. Is he good? Yeah. But is he better than Booker? It's hard to make a case that he is.
Ronnie Brown is NOT the complete solution to our RB problem.

I skipped over your Chambers sentence hoping that it got better. But once I saw the Ronnie Brown statement, I stopped reading. Sorry, but those are both ridiculous, especially the RB statement.

RoninFin4 said:
That's all well and good but where's the O-line and the D in all of that? Games are won and lost in the trenches and as we've seen, teams with good defenses, New England, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay win championships over those teams with flashy offenses.
Offense wins games....Defense wins championships...Hence Indy, KC (as of a few years ago)

We don't have the money to afford Moss, Chambers AND Booker.

If we were to bring in Moss, i'd trade Chambers for a 2nd or a 3rd.

Moss/Booker/Welker/Hagan. Let's not forget about Hagan now, I think he can be big in this league.

Or maybe we can forget about Moss.

We can trade Chambers and sign a guy like Drew Bennett or Patrick Crayton.

Bennett/Booker/Welker/Hagan
Booker/Welker/Crayton/Hagan

I'm satisfied with all those combos, but i'm not satisfied with Chris anymore. He just wreaks of inconsistencies.

Wallace758 said:
This Team Will Be Bad For The Next 5 Years. No Qb, No Ol, Old Defense, We'll Be Good In 2010

I disagree. This team will be in the post season next year.

Adam First said:
If we were to bring in Moss, i'd trade Chambers for a 2nd or a 3rd.

Can any one explain what is going on around here? Chambers for a 3rd rounder? Wow, I'm glad Saban doesn't think like some of you guys.

You want to get rid of Chambers but you want Moss? Have you seen him play lately?

Aqua4Ever04 said:
You want to get rid of Chambers but you want Moss? Have you seen him play lately?

You honestly think any reciever will put up big numbers with Andrew Walter or Aaron Brooks at QB?

we need to continue to add young players to the roster and improve, we are better this year then last

we should really think about drafting Brain Leonard, he is a 2nd rounder. he is an all purpose FB. he can block, catch and rush the ball.

with this offseason we will have a great team next year, we have money to spend

FA

Lance Briggs
a good o-linemen (not my most knowledgeable area)

draft

1st - Sidney Rice
2nd - Brain Leonard
3rd - Mason Krosby
build depth the rest of draft

we could have a very good team next year, we just need a good OLB, a more well rounded FB, a reliable kicker and a dependable WR, plus some better depth

[LIST said:
[*]Our defensive line is getting older, but it's still very deep and will hold for some more years while the rebuilding goes on. Eventually we will need new guys though. Oddly enough this is probably the area that worries me the most.
[*]The O-Line is gelling nicely and will be healthier next season. They won't be giving up the early sacks they did early this season unless injury plagues them again. If Ricky returns it'll be a huge boost for this unit because lets face it, Ronnie isn't scaring anybody right now, and that doesn't help this unit out at all.[/LIST]
And with future projects like Derek Hagan, Cleo Lemon, and Marcus Vick I'd say this team can definitely get real deep real quick. We just need to give these Miami Dolphins a little more time.

You make some decent and interesting points, but I can't say I agree with all of them. The above two inparticular. I think Saban has collected some decent young talent for the defensive line. Matt Roth will be bigger and better next year. Fred Evans is improving. And Wright (from Texas- not Manny) will be a force. He'll have a full year to heal and learn the system. As for the O-Line, we simply need more talent there. Yes it is gelling some but it is not anywhere near good enough.

Patrick Pass is a free agent this offseason, Pats FB. His role has been semi-reduced ever since Heath Evans got there ( :shakeno::shakeno::shakeno: )

Max Starks (RFA) and Mike Gandy are free agent tackles I would look at.

Maybe Eric Steinbach or Porkchop Womack if we want a guard.

Adam First said:
You honestly think any reciever will put up big numbers with Andrew Walter or Aaron Brooks at QB?

I honestly think that 99% of recievers in the NFL wouldn't quit on there team, say they only play when they want, and can't perform when they aren't happy. Moss is the biggest waste of talent there is in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom