Its only sane to draft a... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its only sane to draft a...

testtubetimmy

Supreme Lord Emperor
Reaction score
QUARTERBACK!!

Think about it though.

Gus Ferrotte and AJ Feeley.

these are two back-ups, not two saviors.

Yeah sure, we want a running back. A guy who may touch the ball at the most half the time. But the true team leader is a quarterback.

Ferrotte and Feeley are obviously temporary solutions. Guys to bring us through a year with maybe 10 wins. They are the rebuilding year quarterbacks, not the legends that will help us win the SB.

So why not take a quarterback in the highest pick that you have in the only year that you'll have a number two pick? I know the draft isnt heavy with QB's, but we have the chance to get the best or second best one.

I also know its a crap shoot, taking a QB at the second pick. 30percent and all that jazz. But its the best shot we have to getting ourself a peyton manning. And maybe if we're lucky, we may find a Roethlisberger.

This team needs a leader. A Dan Marino again, to sling shot us into the history books. Getting a great quarterback now ensures that we'll have the chance at a great team and team leader a year or two down the line, not other teams leftovers.

I'm gonna cry when I see either brown or smith wearing another jersey.

I'm not going to say we don't need a runningback, but judging by the offense that was run in minnesota by Linehan, we would need a QB more. Sources state that Rodgers will be taken first overall by the 49er's, that still leaves us with Smith.

I see Smith and Brown as roughly equivalent talents. IMO they both have great upside and very few question marks. The only reasons I prefer Smith are that QB is a much more important position and RBs are easier to acquire.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a savior Saban wants quality team players but dosen't need a one great Marino or Elway type.

testtubetimmy said:
QUARTERBACK!!

Think about it though.

Gus Ferrotte and AJ Feeley.

these are two back-ups, not two saviors.

Yeah sure, we want a running back. A guy who may touch the ball at the most half the time. But the true team leader is a quarterback.

Ferrotte and Feeley are obviously temporary solutions. Guys to bring us through a year with maybe 10 wins. They are the rebuilding year quarterbacks, not the legends that will help us win the SB.

So why not take a quarterback in the highest pick that you have in the only year that you'll have a number two pick? I know the draft isnt heavy with QB's, but we have the chance to get the best or second best one.

I also know its a crap shoot, taking a QB at the second pick. 30percent and all that jazz. But its the best shot we have to getting ourself a peyton manning. And maybe if we're lucky, we may find a Roethlisberger.

This team needs a leader. A Dan Marino again, to sling shot us into the history books. Getting a great quarterback now ensures that we'll have the chance at a great team and team leader a year or two down the line, not other teams leftovers.

That is the joy of this draft...Saban can draft a WR, QB, RB, LB, S, whatever and we can all be happy about it...But, I have to dissagree with you about the QB...it is probably the MOST risky move that Saban can make...think about it, if he drafts Rodgers or Smith and they bust...he will forever be linked to it...If he drafts a more sure fire guy, like a Brown or Edwards he can look like a saint...I just think that the least risky thing with the most return will be RB or WR....

rafael said:
I see Smith and Brown as roughly equivalent talents. IMO they both have great upside and very few question marks. The only reasons I prefer Smith are that QB is a much more important position and RBs are easier to acquire.

I have to dissagree with you on Smith..he is NOT at the level of Big Ben, Eli or Rivers from last year...(neither is Rodgers). Brown is a much less risky pick at #2 than Smith...

LarryFinFan said:
I have to dissagree with you on Smith..he is NOT at the level of Big Ben, Eli or Rivers from last year...(neither is Rodgers). Brown is a much less risky pick at #2 than Smith...

You and I may disagree, but the only draft service that showed their ratings for last year and this year that I've found has them all rated about the same, with Rogers actually above Eli and Rivers. I don't have the link, but if you do a search of this site, it's been posted within the last month.

LarryFinFan said:

I can't believe the hype Rivers has gotten. This kid was barely a 1st rd pick going in to the senior bowl last year. He was the most over hyped player I've seen going into a draft in quite a while. Let's put it this way - the kid is so good that they are paying Brees 8+ mil for next year while they are paying Rivers big bucks to carry a clip board for a 2nd year! Eli did squat and was over hyped as well. I'm not saying Rodgers and Smith are all world but give me a break to say they don't rank with those 2 guys. I'd take Rodgers or Smith over Rivers in a heart beat. In fact I'd give up an extra pick to take one of those guys over Rivers.

rafael said:
You and I may disagree, but the only draft service that showed their ratings for last year and this year that I've found has them all rated about the same, with Rogers actually above Eli and Rivers. I don't have the link, but if you do a search of this site, it's been posted within the last month.

Draft ratings mean squat.

Rich22 said:
I can't believe the hype Rivers has gotten. This kid was barely a 1st rd pick going in to the senior bowl last year. He was the most over hyped player I've seen going into a draft in quite a while. Let's put it this way - the kid is so good that they are paying Brees 8+ mil for next year while they are paying Rivers big bucks to carry a clip board for a 2nd year! Eli did squat and was over hyped as well. I'm not saying Rodgers and Smith are all world but give me a break to say they don't rank with those 2 guys. I'd take Rodgers or Smith over Rivers in a heart beat. In fact I'd give up an extra pick to take one of those guys over Rivers.

He is sitting on the sidelines because he held out of most of tranning camp. Had he went when he was supposed to, he had the drivers seat on the starting job. Poor choice by him, because Brees obviously capitalized on the window he was given and hasn't looked back. Rivers was supposed to fall to us at 20 last year, but showed he could really chuck the ball, and had deadly accuracy. Most importantly, he was playing good football for 4 years, hes not a late riser like the two this year. He deserves what he got.

Maybe

I think we should maybe have a thread we can post each day. Or rather 5 of them

Thread #1: Why I Think we should draft a QB.
Thread #2: Why I Think we should draft a RB.
Thread #3: Why I Think we should draft a WR.
Thread #4: Why I Think we should trade drown.
Thread #5: Why I Think we should trade our #2 for Edge/Alexander/Galley/Other

Think about all the time it would save in these threads. Just basically those 5 threads, and another couple dozen about Surtain trade rumors, or Ricky spotted leaving a dealer in South Beach!

Save people like me a lot of time looking to see what was posted today.

Just an idea.

We should have drafted a quarterback at least once in the first round in the last 10 years.

Emskirch said:
We should have drafted a quarterback at least once in the first round in the last 10 years.

:yeahthat: We paid the price for that decision once Marino left, and the Fiedler/Feeley crew came in.

Back
Top Bottom