It's personal versus Brian Billick | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's personal versus Brian Billick

Hmmmm, I wonder why Billick isn't getting whiff from any team. There has got to be more than this slant, for a coach to be essentially blackballed.

It is just too easy for some to throw the hate at Ross and Ireland that they cannot see beyond that.

It doesn't matter why they didn't. What matter is they didn't interview him, and neither are we. You still can't answer why that makes our Front Office clueless and not the 16 others...

Do you even read the posts you respond to? I specifically pointed out that many of the other front offices that were mentioned are pretty much the poster children for organizational incompetence. I mean seriously, the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills? I'd say that those organizations could not survive in a real business environment, but the truth is that Buffalo couldn't even survive in the NFL if it wasn't for revenue sharing.

It's his team and he can do what he likes with it, but outright dismissing a candidate for a mostly autonomous job due simply to personal dislike when you are supposed to be a "hands off" owner reeks of dysfunction.

He owns the team. He's not going to have someone he dislikes. Simple as that.

New to the real world are you?

He owns the team. He's not going to have someone he dislikes. Simple as that.

New to the real world are you?

I've hired many people I didn't like, and will continue to hire people I don't like, if they can do the job.

I realize it can be difficult to understand that sometimes you can achieve greater success by putting aside your personal biases and proclivities (such as a penchant for making snide, condescending remarks), but it really is a wonderful thing. :)

I've hired many people I didn't like, and will continue to hire people I don't like, if they can do the job.

I realize it can be difficult to understand that sometimes you can achieve greater success by putting aside your personal biases and proclivities (such as a penchant for making snide, condescending remarks), but it really is a wonderful thing. :)

At what level are you hiring?
You spend a billion and you have 2 guys looking after the investment, I make sure I like both and so does Ross.

comeon. I'd be willing to believe this IF... billick had gotten any other calls from any other team. I mean look ... for ****s sake tamba bay hasn't even called him.

Exactly. I wouldn't wipe my *** with this article.

At what level are you hiring?
You spend a billion and you have 2 guys looking after the investment, I make sure I like both and so does Ross.

The last distributor I hired is projected to do about 4 million dollars of business for us in his territory (which is one country) this year. I can't stand the guy, but he's good.

Now considering that Ross is a 'hands off' owner who lives in New York, and that Tony Sparano apparently got through the first seven weeks of the season without really speaking to Ross at all, I would think that a personality conflict could be managed, right? They won't be working closely together on a daily basis.

He doesn't need the Jeff Fisher helicopter treatment, but refusing to interview a highly qualified candidate because he rubbed you the wrong way one time is pretty silly.

What job is it, and at what level? Flipping burgers is one thing. Paying a dude millions to run the team you own is another.

The last distributor I hired is projected to do about 4 million dollars of business for us in his territory (which is one country) this year. I can't stand the guy, but he's good.

Now considering that Ross is a 'hands off' owner who lives in New York, and that Tony Sparano apparently got through the first seven weeks of the season without really speaking to Ross at all, I would think that a personality conflict could be managed, right? They won't be working closely together on a daily basis.

He doesn't need the Jeff Fisher helicopter treatment, but refusing to interview a highly qualified candidate because he rubbed you the wrong way one time is pretty silly.
If you are really at that level...

Does it not put you off in the slightest that nobody else has even sniffed at the guy?

If you are really at that level...

Does it not put you off in the slightest that nobody else has even sniffed at the guy?

Of course it puts me off a bit. But is it really that much of a terror to interview him? I realize that Ross has other business ventures that take up his time, but I'm sure he can schedule a couple of hours with Billick if he's committed to casting a wide net and finding the best guy.

Listen, I don't even have Billick as #1 on my coaching wishlist. I just think it's a huge mistake not to at least interview him. That's it. Bring him in and talk about the job with him. Maybe it turns out that some folks were wrong about him, maybe he's matured and mellowed, who knows?

I just find some of the arguments against interviewing him to be downright weird. They met one time and Ross got a bad impression? I've met plenty of people at trade shows who gave me a bad impression, but I still saved their cards and I still called them up later when I needed something they could provide.

Of course it puts me off a bit. But is it really that much of a terror to interview him? I realize that Ross has other business ventures that take up his time, but I'm sure he can schedule a couple of hours with Billick if he's committed to casting a wide net and finding the best guy.

Listen, I don't even have Billick as #1 on my coaching wishlist. I just think it's a huge mistake not to at least interview him. That's it. Bring him in and talk about the job with him. Maybe it turns out that some folks were wrong about him, maybe he's matured and mellowed, who knows?

I just find some of the arguments against interviewing him to be downright weird. They met one time and Ross got a bad impression? I've met plenty of people at trade shows who gave me a bad impression, but I still saved their cards and I still called them up later when I needed something they could provide.
Every single team....Every one.....Nobody sniffs.

Alright dude. I guess you've got me. *Throws up hands*

We've come to an end to where we can argue without being *******es.

It's really pathetic that despite our 'wide net' which apparently includes guys who are in danger of being fired (Schotty, Mularkey), we won't interview a guy with a Super Bowl ring because of some petty personal ****.

add this to the looooong list of why Ross is one the top 3 worst owners in the league.. He's a moron.. He must have been born into his money because a smart businessman never makes decisions based on personal emotions.

Also, this is where the Rooney Rule is a complete failure. We HAVE to interview a minority candidate with little crednetials but do not have to interview a candidiate with more credentials than pretty much everyone we have interviewed.

And before everyone gets their panties in a twist, I am NOT advocating we hire Billick, but this goes to show you that also that the, "leaving no stones unturned" mantra from Ireland and Ross is nothing more than BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every single team....Every one.....Nobody sniffs.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I really do see that as an opportunity. This guy has shown in the past that he can be a good coach. Maybe he can be a good coach for someone again, and other teams are missing out?

add this to the looooong list of why Ross is one the top 3 worst owners in the league.. He's a moron.. He must have been born into his money because a smart businessman never makes decisions based on personal emotions.

He's not one of the worst three owners. Not even close. Bidwill. Brown. Glazer family. Ralph Wilson. I was going to say Wayne Weaver and Al Davis, but they're gone. Bud Adams, the reason Jeff Fisher's even in play here is that he's a meddling cheapskate. Randy Lerner. I'll take Ross in a heartbeat over all of those guys. I just think this coaching search -- from my outside perspective -- is being handled in a really bizarre fashion. Stuff like the reports of having Carl Peterson interview one set of candidates (the "A List" guys) and Ireland the others? Just weird stuff, man.

And even though Ross has bumbled a bit, I don't think he's any more embarrassing than lushes like Bob Kraft and Jim Irsay.

Maybe not worst 3, but IMO he is one of the worst.
He's not one of the worst three owners. Not even close. Bidwill. Brown. Glazer family. Ralph Wilson. I was going to say Wayne Weaver and Al Davis, but they're gone. Bud Adams, the reason Jeff Fisher's even in play here is that he's a meddling cheapskate. Randy Lerner. I'll take Ross in a heartbeat over all of those guys. I just think this coaching search -- from my outside perspective -- is being handled in a really bizarre fashion. Stuff like the reports of having Carl Peterson interview one set of candidates (the "A List" guys) and Ireland the others? Just weird stuff, man.

And even though Ross has bumbled a bit, I don't think he's any more embarrassing than lushes like Bob Kraft and Jim Irsay.

Back
Top Bottom