It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb

Since the Patriots drafted Tom Brady, they have drafted 9 other QB. 4 of those are still in the league. 4 of them were subsequently traded by the Pats for future draft capital.

Since 2012, the Eagles have drafted three QB. All three are still in the league. Two of them were traded for future draft capital. Amazingly, they got one back for free, and he was potential draft capital again.

And the success of the other 30 teams?

And whose assessment should the FO trust when determining just who is a 1st rd talent? They have an entire scouting staff, so Im not sure which "consultant" the scouting staff and GM would trust over their own evaluations.
Had the Pats picked Brady in the 1st, many in the media would have laughed at them for the 1st 2 yrs,

Perhaps you would be surprised at how often billionaires use outside sources such as consultants for every little thing. Its not about who the scouting staff and GM trust. I envision that it would be Ross who would touch base with an expert/consultant and put him in contact with Mike Tannenbaum.

I didn't delve into them all that much. I just decided to look at the two who were in the Super Bowl this past year.

And I understand. But, you realize, you took the outliers to make a point. And I'll not spend any time discussing how those two teams may have the coaching talent to make them good QBs. Getting good QBs consistently is exceedingly difficult. Montana/Young, Farve/Rogers. Very seldom does a team get an elite QB back-to-back. Most teams try often and fail often. That's the norm. Thus, Blackledge was taken before Kelly AND Marino and O'Brien was taken before Marino. Getting top 10 QBs is difficult.
You're right, there always seem to be 2-3 who have the gift, but Miami like almost all teams, lacks the gift.

So according to some people here, EVERYTHING has to be perfect in order for us to draft a QB. It has to be the perfect QB and the perfect year and the perfect draft spot and on and on. Well guess what? Thing are not always perfect and things don't always work the way you want them too. Saying we "have' to wait till 2020 because Tua will be the guy to draft is just dumb. What if Tua gets hurt and never plays again? We wait till 2022? What if Tua is there but we don't have the 1st pick (which we won't) then what?
Trade our whole draft for him? What if the other team don't want to trade the pick? Wait till 2023 to draft a QB?

Having said that, we don't get to make any decisions as to drafting or not drafting a QB. The FO/HC gets to make that decision and so far the decisions they've made has not worked for us and we're still stuck in the middle of the pack. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

And I understand. But, you realize, you took the outliers to make a point. And I'll not spend any time discussing how those two teams may have the coaching talent to make them good QBs. Getting good QBs consistently is exceedingly difficult. Montana/Young, Farve/Rogers. Very seldom does a team get an elite QB back-to-back. Most teams try often and fail often. That's the norm. Thus, Blackledge was taken before Kelly AND Marino and O'Brien was taken before Marino. Getting top 10 QBs is difficult.
You're right, there always seem to be 2-3 who have the gift, but Miami like almost all teams, lacks the gift.

Your point is noted.

Mine is this: You're never, ever going to find a QB bargain in rounds 2-5 if you don't ever draft one. The Fins tried it in 07/08/09...even though two of the picks were spectacularly bad. But one of them is still kicking around the NFL as a half-decent backup. They haven't tried that since. Draft one every year? Okay, maybe not EVERY year. But can we agree that more than once a decade is reasonable? Maybe 3 or 4 times? 5?

We need to wait until 2020. I would cut Tammehill and focus on the OL in 2019. Then plan to suck for a high 2020 pick
This!! The QB class coming out this year isn't the greatest and we will most likely have an 11 through 19 pick (again)...unless someone falls into our lap, we draft OL, suck with a 2nd tier QB for a year, let Tanny have a fresh start somewhere else, and plan on having a top 5 pick in 2020

Looks like the Dolphins have terrible timing. If the above turns out to be true, that means the market for QB's in the draft the following year will be even more tight. There will be even more teams that need a QB and teams that don't need one could be raking in the picks from the teams, like our Dolphins, desperate to trade up for one. It could be a good time to adopt the Suck for Luck strategy to make sure we have a pick high enough to get one and save some picks in the process.

Your point is noted.

Mine is this: You're never, ever going to find a QB bargain in rounds 2-5 if you don't ever draft one. The Fins tried it in 07/08/09...even though two of the picks were spectacularly bad. But one of them is still kicking around the NFL as a half-decent backup. They haven't tried that since. Draft one every year? Okay, maybe not EVERY year. But can we agree that more than once a decade is reasonable? Maybe 3 or 4 times? 5?

I'm not against drafting a QB. Most sane? people here are responding to those who say something similar to 'draft a QB every year' or 'keep trying til you get an elite/franchise QB.' Neither of those strategies is tried by ANY NFL team and I trust their collective judgement over anyone here.
I admit, I don't have an answer for WHEN to draft a QB. Certainly not a day 1 QB every year or every other year. OTOH, Miami has actually tried twice I remember - Henne and Tannehill. Fans know this . . . no offense to Brady, but the lower the draft round, the higher the chance of failure. So a day 1 pick has a greater than 50% chance of failure, probably a 2% chance of getting an 'elite' QB, but a better chance than a day 2 pick.
The problem is, bad teams have so many big holes, just 'gambling' on a QB because fans want one isn't a good long-term employment strategy. Which leads me to my other problem as I said elsewhere . . . fans appear to think getting an elite QB is as easy as trying. Even now, there is a debate over whether the top need next year is OL, DL, CB, QB, pick-a-position. (To be fair, there are FAR too many fans who grade ALL draft picks as HOFr or bust.) Yes, draft a QB, but don't reach and don't trade up. I don't want to draft Paxton Lynch over Tunsil just because Miami hasn't drafted a QB in 4 years. Find a QB the team's scouts think is a good prospect, get him near his ranking, and pull the trigger. I have no problem with that. OTOH, I don't want to hear whiners the next winter saying 'we COULD have had . . . '

So according to some people here, EVERYTHING has to be perfect in order for us to draft a QB. It has to be the perfect QB and the perfect year and the perfect draft spot and on and on. Well guess what? Thing are not always perfect and things don't always work the way you want them too. Saying we "have' to wait till 2020 because Tua will be the guy to draft is just dumb. What if Tua gets hurt and never plays again? We wait till 2022? What if Tua is there but we don't have the 1st pick (which we won't) then what?
Trade our whole draft for him? What if the other team don't want to trade the pick? Wait till 2023 to draft a QB?

Having said that, we don't get to make any decisions as to drafting or not drafting a QB. The FO/HC gets to make that decision and so far the decisions they've made has not worked for us and we're still stuck in the middle of the pack. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

So the FO should draft the best QB available even if they dont think he'll ever amount to anything?

Everyone is saying it's a bad QB year, but no one knows that. For example, no one knew Russell Wilson would be the QB he is. If you need desperately need a QB, then scout aggressively and pick the best one. Next year's prospects aren't promised.

So the FO should draft the best QB available even if they dont think he'll ever amount to anything?
If the reason we haven't drafted a QB is because the FO think that none of the QB's that we have passed on were never going to amount to anything then there's no hope for our team. I believe the reason they haven't drafted a QB is because they kept thinking (and they still seem to think) that Tannehill was the perfect QB for the team and that nobody else was going to be an upgrade. They put everything on him and imo they were wrong. Once they restructured his contract I pretty much knew they were not going to draft a QB. Why do I believe they were wrong? Because you should never count on a QB on the wrong side of 30 coming back from major surgery that has never been elite. I was as big a supporter as anyone here but I'm not blind. I was ok with Tannehill going into this season as the starter but I also wanted them to draft a QB so that if Tanny went down we could give the young QB playing time to see if there was something there. As it turned out, Tanny went down and we're stuck with Brock who has play ok for a back up QB but we all know we're going nowhere with him so this year is another wasted year as far as getting a QB ready for the future.

Back
Top Bottom