It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb

So the FO should draft the best QB available even if they dont think he'll ever amount to anything?

That's not what he posted. Either way, if this regime came to that conclusion that the QBs weren't worth drafting over the last 3 drafts, then that's a failure, no? We've seen the QBs who were drafted in that time period. The Dolphins missed out again because of Tannehill and his allegedly high ceiling.

If the reason we haven't drafted a QB is because the FO think that none of the QB's that we have passed on were never going to amount to anything then there's no hope for our team. I believe the reason they haven't drafted a QB is because they kept thinking (and they still seem to think) that Tannehill was the perfect QB for the team and that nobody else was going to be an upgrade. They put everything on him and imo they were wrong. Once they restructured his contract I pretty much knew they were not going to draft a QB. Why do I believe they were wrong? Because you should never count on a QB on the wrong side of 30 coming back from major surgery that has never been elite. I was as big a supporter as anyone here but I'm not blind. I was ok with Tannehill going into this season as the starter but I also wanted them to draft a QB so that if Tanny went down we could give the young QB playing time to see if there was something there. As it turned out, Tanny went down and we're stuck with Brock who has play ok for a back up QB but we all know we're going nowhere with him so this year is another wasted year as far as getting a QB ready for the future.

What do you do for a living, Danny?

I've been on this board since 2009, and lurking without a username before that. I've witnessed posters here say every damn year that we can't draft a QB this year because position x is more of a need. What? How is any other position besides QB more important? Other teams understand that and take swings.

People laugh at the Browns for all the QBs they've drafted, but dammit at least they try. They understand that nothing else matters if you have no QB, and they always take swings. It looks like they might have finally found their guy. Amazing how regime after regime comes here and thinks they can casually go about finding the next franchise QB. 4 first round picks at QB for the Dolphins since their inception. Pathetic.

So according to some people here, EVERYTHING has to be perfect in order for us to draft a QB. It has to be the perfect QB and the perfect year and the perfect draft spot and on and on. Well guess what? Thing are not always perfect and things don't always work the way you want them too. Saying we "have' to wait till 2020 because Tua will be the guy to draft is just dumb. What if Tua gets hurt and never plays again? We wait till 2022? What if Tua is there but we don't have the 1st pick (which we won't) then what?
Trade our whole draft for him? What if the other team don't want to trade the pick? Wait till 2023 to draft a QB?

Having said that, we don't get to make any decisions as to drafting or not drafting a QB. The FO/HC gets to make that decision and so far the decisions they've made has not worked for us and we're still stuck in the middle of the pack. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

So just draft a QB to draft one in other words. Everything doesn't have to be PERFECT. The odds are better in 2020. Its pretty simple. More talent in 2020. Tua, Fromm, Haskins and Herbert may not declare this year.

And building up the oline and dlines this next offseason wouldnt be a bad idea to not have a dumpster fire around the new QB.

No we do not have to draft a QB in the first, but we definitely need one.

I've been on this board since 2009, and lurking without a username before that. I've witnessed posters here say every damn year that we can't draft a QB this year because position x is more of a need. What? How is any other position besides QB more important? Other teams understand that and take swings.

People laugh at the Browns for all the QBs they've drafted, but dammit at least they try. They understand that nothing else matters if you have no QB, and they always take swings. It looks like they might have finally found their guy. Amazing how regime after regime comes here and thinks they can casually go about finding the next franchise QB. 4 first round picks at QB for the Dolphins since their inception. Pathetic.

Let's do it this way. I'll not use '18 because of limited evidence.

'13 Miami picked #2 (Jordan) Next QB taken Manuel at 15. Miami could have traded down (.MAYBE). To get Manuel?
'14 Miami picked #19 Bortles was #3 Not a future top 10 QB and a big cost to move up.
'15 Miami picked #14. #1 was Winston, #2 was Mariota. Neither top 10 and a big cost to move up. No other R1 QBs.
'16 Miami picked #13 Goff went #1, Wentz #2. Next QB was Paxton Lynch at #26. Again, a big cost to move up, and I have serious doubts Wentz would be too successful in Miami
'17 Miami picked @22. #1 was trubisky, #10 was Mahomes, #12 watson.
What would you have done? I know it's easy in hindsight, but who on that list would have been successful in Miami? Pay particular attention to years '13, '14, '15, '16. Not real good years for QBs. It is stretches like that that make 'just try' a rather weak argument.

Let's do it this way. I'll not use '18 because of limited evidence.

'13 Miami picked #2 (Jordan) Next QB taken Manuel at 15. Miami could have traded down (.MAYBE). To get Manuel?
'14 Miami picked #19 Bortles was #3 Not a future top 10 QB and a big cost to move up.
'15 Miami picked #14. #1 was Winston, #2 was Mariota. Neither top 10 and a big cost to move up. No other R1 QBs.
'16 Miami picked #13 Goff went #1, Wentz #2. Next QB was Paxton Lynch at #26. Again, a big cost to move up, and I have serious doubts Wentz would be too successful in Miami
'17 Miami picked @22. #1 was trubisky, #10 was Mahomes, #12 watson.
What would you have done? I know it's easy in hindsight, but who on that list would have been successful in Miami? Pay particular attention to years '13, '14, '15, '16. Not real good years for QBs. It is stretches like that that make 'just try' a rather weak argument.

Philly traded up with Miami and then traded up to get Wentz. They spent alot of picks to move up twice. Miami could have done the same. Of course finding a QB is difficult, but if you don't pick one then you're stuck with what you have.

Philly traded up with Miami and then traded up to get Wentz. They spent alot of picks to move up twice. Miami could have done the same. Of course finding a QB is difficult, but if you don't pick one then you're stuck with what you have.

And what do you think would have been his production in Miami? And even then, of that list, you mention Wentz. Looking at the list again, I don't blame you. Getting a top 10 QB is HARD and unlikely, much less 'elite.'

And what do you think would have been his production in Miami? And even then, of that list, you mention Wentz. Looking at the list again, I don't blame you. Getting a top 10 QB is HARD and unlikely, much less 'elite.'

I have no idea how Wentz would have performed because the Dolphins didn't draft him. You asked what I would do. I would scout QBs each year and aggressively go after at least one like other teams do. How would you go about solving the QB problem?

I have no idea how Wentz would have performed because the Dolphins didn't draft him. You asked what I would do. I would scout QBs each year and aggressively go after at least one like other teams do. How would you go about solving the QB problem?
You got me there. I didn't know that's what other teams did. What would I do? Said it elsewhere. I don't trade up and don't reach. As you say, evaluate QBs. When I'm on the clock, if one is available and I have him ranked close to where I pick, I pull the trigger. I've said too many times, I'm not against drafting a QB, but the list I provided above shows how unlikely it is over a stretch of years, to get a top 10 QB. For example, if Miami had picked Bortles, no way they would be picking a R1 QB again in '15 or '16.

You got me there. I didn't know that's what other teams did. What would I do? Said it elsewhere. I don't trade up and don't reach. As you say, evaluate QBs. When I'm on the clock, if one is available and I have him ranked close to where I pick, I pull the trigger. I've said too many times, I'm not against drafting a QB, but the list I provided above shows how unlikely it is over a stretch of years, to get a top 10 QB. For example, if Miami had picked Bortles, no way they would be picking a R1 QB again in '15 or '16.

The Dolphins have only drafted one QB since Tannehill. Brandon Doughty, a 7th round pick. Are you ok with that?

as much a I like # 29 for dolphins. he will be great but we should of draft that qb in 1st rd and let him sit for yr. now we are set back another 3 yr at qb. I feel like Adam is going set dolphins back. he doesn't have eye for young talent qb. he favor older player. who have been in nfl to me.

I hope they don't draft 3rd-4th round talent QB in the 1st round just to appease fans clamoring to draft a QB in 2019.
Do it smart and research/rank the best of the best, get a consultant if you have to and find a guy whether through the draft or free agency and go get him.
Exactly... Drafting for need without regard for the talent is a killer.

So just draft a QB to draft one in other words. Everything doesn't have to be PERFECT. The odds are better in 2020. Its pretty simple. More talent in 2020. Tua, Fromm, Haskins and Herbert may not declare this year.

And building up the oline and dlines this next offseason wouldnt be a bad idea to not have a dumpster fire around the new QB.
We've been trying to build our lines for years and years with bad results but we haven't tried to upgrade the most important position in sports. How does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom