Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta"

why do the call Bill Parcells "Tuna" WTF?? He's not even a fish...

Expert: - 9/7/2004

Question
Why do they call Bill Parcells "Tuna"?

Answer
Mike,

Hi. I appreciate the question. Why do they call Bill Parcells "The Tuna?" Well, I'll let Parcells explain it in his own words which are taken from a 1997 press conference:

"I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."

Hope this helps you. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

Gotta love the offseason.

Its just a pet peeve. Every time I read the word "trifecta" I think of a horseracing bet. I must see the word anywhere from 10 to 100 times a day on Dolphins message boards. It gets annoying after a while.

Even if you stretch the meaning of the word Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano are not a trifecta. On the other hand there is no other definition for triumvirate. It more accurately describes them. Plus I don't get the urge to place I bet when I read "triumvirate."

That is a stretch. The only way that definition makes sense is if Parcells appointed Ireland to his former position with the Dolphins (which he didn't) and if he appointed Sparano to Ireland's former position (which he didn't).

Also wikipedia is not a dictionary. Find me an example where "trifecta" was used the way wikipedia describes.

Finally the last time I checked Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano were not in politics.

I assume you meant "loosely." :up:

One can obviously tell that the world you live in is definitely colored black and white. Not like the grey area where most of us live which requires inductive reasoning.

If you really want to know what the true meaning of the word trifecta is you have to look at its origin not the MW Dictionary. Since you more than likely didn't take Latin in high school or college let me help you out.

The work trifecta is made of two root words, tri and fecta. It's not to hard to distinguish that tri means three but what you probably don't know is that fecta means to make. Therefore if you look at the original Latin meaning of the word trifecta you would see that it refers to the making of one perfect item out of three parts. This can be a reference to horse race betting which is it's most used form, but it could also be a reference to many other things such as Parcells/Ireland/Sparano making the perfect front office, therefore a trifecta.

And my fiancee asks me all the time why did I take Latin in college instead of Spanish. It's for moments like this.

Usually doesn't always mean all the time.

True. :up:

However triumvirate means a group of three men holding power. All the time.

Trifecta has a couple of meanings. The two most common are a bet on a horserace and a run of three wins or great events.

True. :up:

However triumvirate means a group of three men holding power. All the time.

Trifecta has a couple of meanings. The two most common are a bet on a horserace and a run of three wins or great events.
or the situation of having three major accomplishments or achievements. I would say acquiring those three guys are a great accomplishment for this organization.

Triumvirate - (in ancient Rome) a group of three men holding power, in particular (the First Triumvirate) the unofficial coalition of Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60 BC and (the Second Triumvirate) a coalition formed by Antony, Lepidus, and Octavian in 43 BC.

Trifecta - a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Just a little pet peeve of mine. ;)

I hate the word "trifecta". It's used ignorantly. I said the same thing almost a year ago in this post:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1062939953&postcount=13

Back
Top Bottom