Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta"

Big Red 1972

Long Lasting Freshness
Reaction score
Triumvirate - (in ancient Rome) a group of three men holding power, in particular (the First Triumvirate) the unofficial coalition of Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60 BC and (the Second Triumvirate) a coalition formed by Antony, Lepidus, and Octavian in 43 BC.

Trifecta - a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Just a little pet peeve of mine. ;)

Triumvirate - (in ancient Rome) a group of three men holding power, in particular (the First Triumvirate) the unofficial coalition of Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60 BC and (the Second Triumvirate) a coalition formed by Antony, Lepidus, and Octavian in 43 BC.

Trifecta - a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Trifecta - 2: banging three sisters.

:vaark:

A pet peeve of mine is when people don't realize that a word can have more than one meaning. Especially when they are trying to make everyone else look like a horses a$$, (I thought it would be a good analogy with the horse racing theme).

Trifect from wikipedia is also stated as meaning.

The term has been extended to the realm of politics, where it is used to describe a situation in which an executive of government appoints another elected official to a position and is also allowed to appoint his successor. This process can be chained together; in other words, the executive can appoint an elected official to a position, appoint another elected official to the other's previous position, and finally appoint anyone to the second official's position. The first permutation of this chain is called a "quadfecta".
The trifecta system is seen by many as a loophole in democracy, because it allows an executive to essentially override a choice by the voters. This is mitigated by the fact that the system requires the agreement of all parties involved. Executives have been able to get around this by making the position offered a very financially lucrative or long-term one.

Looking at this definition, one could definitely describe Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano losely as a trifecta. Especially since Parcells hired Ireland and Sparano for positions he once occupied. Albiet not by the Dolphins, but positions he still held.

Honestly, I was saying the same thing when it first happened (although not on here). I agree with you, but I just kind of let it go.

A pet peeve of mine is when people don't realize that a word can have more than one meaning. Especially when they are trying to make everyone else look like a horses a$$, (I thought it would be a good analogy with the horse racing theme).

Trifect from wikipedia is also stated as meaning.

The term has been extended to the realm of politics, where it is used to describe a situation in which an executive of government appoints another elected official to a position and is also allowed to appoint his successor. This process can be chained together; in other words, the executive can appoint an elected official to a position, appoint another elected official to the other's previous position, and finally appoint anyone to the second official's position. The first permutation of this chain is called a "quadfecta".
The trifecta system is seen by many as a loophole in democracy, because it allows an executive to essentially override a choice by the voters. This is mitigated by the fact that the system requires the agreement of all parties involved. Executives have been able to get around this by making the position offered a very financially lucrative or long-term one.

Looking at this definition, one could definitely describe Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano losely as a trifecta. Especially since Parcells hired Ireland and Sparano for positions he once occupied. Albiet not by the Dolphins, but positions he still held.

That is a stretch. The only way that definition makes sense is if Parcells appointed Ireland to his former position with the Dolphins (which he didn't) and if he appointed Sparano to Ireland's former position (which he didn't).

Also wikipedia is not a dictionary. Find me an example where "trifecta" was used the way wikipedia describes.

Finally the last time I checked Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano were not in politics.

Looking at this definition, one could definitely describe Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano losely as a trifecta.

I assume you meant "loosely." :up:

This is from Omar's blog in the Sun-Sentinel today.

Here are a few nuggets of knowledge I’ve put together from the Trifecta’s drafting history.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/02/lesson-from-the-miami-dolphins-drafts.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

Literally translated here is what he wrote.

Here are a few nuggets of knowledge I’ve put together from the bet’s drafting history.

This is from a Q&A with Mike Berardino.

And you know how the Trifecta feels about players who can't make it to kickoff.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...skharvey_1_anquan-boldin-joey-porter-dolphins

Literal translation.

And you know how the bet feels about players who can't make it to kickoff.

These are paid journalists. They are not the only ones who do it either. Armando Salgurero refers to Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano as the "trifecta." So does Edgar Thompson, Ethan Skolnick, and Dave Hyde. As a result our message boards are filled with ignorance.

I think people reference trifecta as 3. As in 3 leaders. We all know what everyone else means when they say it so wtf. If some guy used triumvirate in a sentence i'd probably lol @ them.

tri·fec·ta [ trī féktə ] (plural tri·fec·tas)

noun Definition: 1. North America bet on first 3 in race: a bet, especially on a horserace, that involves selecting the competitors that will come in the first three places in the correct order

2. set of three: a series or set of three things, factors, or influences
clear.gif
clear.gif
a trifecta of political losers

thank you!! finally someone has said it!!

which brings me to my pet peeve...

why do the call Bill Parcells "Tuna" WTF?? He's not even a fish...

:crazy:

cuz he smells like.. well lets not go there...

tri·fec·ta [ trī féktə ] (plural tri·fec·tas)

noun Definition: 1. North America bet on first 3 in race: a bet, especially on a horserace, that involves selecting the competitors that will come in the first three places in the correct order

2. set of three: a series or set of three things, factors, or influences
clear.gif
clear.gif
a trifecta of political losers

The second definition usually refers to an accomplishment not people. For example you might say an entertainer achieved a show-business trifecta with a platinum record, hit TV series, and an Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom