I've Been Debating Whether Or Not It Would Be Smart......... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've Been Debating Whether Or Not It Would Be Smart.........

Would you like the Dolphins to Move up in the Draft???

• Yes and surrender their first Round Pick this year and next year in order to do so.........

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Yes as long as it is for a starting QB and #RT17 is included in the trade (keep their #1 next year)

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • NO!!! Stay at #11and take the best pick that falls to the Fins.....

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • None of the Above....I propose the following..............................

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
All but two of the 2017 draft picks were spent on defense. And Gase was probably pacing a hole in the floor in the draft war room watching the offensive talent come off the board while they were shoring up a woeful defense. They again have a woeful defense, but if Gase is developing more say in personnel matters, I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if this draft is way more offense-heavy than fans are anticipating.

I think (not necessarily want) they are eyeing one of the QB’s first for the right price, then falling back on a top defensive option if it doesn’t pan out. But two of their first three picks may very well be on the offensive side of the ball. I don’t think he values tight ends as much as fans do, but he obviously likes having a lot of bodies at WR and values versatile running backs. Don’t rule out OL early.

As others have said, the general opinion on these QBs is they are not truly high first round talents (excluding maybe Darnold). They all have major question marks. So to give up extra value for them would be very risky and it's just not worth that risk for a team that has other pressing needs and a decent quarterback already notwithstanding the health concerns.

Last edited:
Stand pat unless all 4 of the defensive guys (the 2 LBs and 2 Ss) are gone. Then look at trading back up.

We can talk about drafting a qb early again in 2 years. The 2019 class isn’t very good supposedly but in 2020 we will all be sold on Tannehill one way or another, then we can talk about moving up in the draft for a qb. Prime time

I suggest moving down; hopefully adding an extra pick this year and possibly stockpiling picks for next year. Then, clean house completely after Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase prove their ineptness during the 2018 season. There's no way I want the current regime to select a new QB because I don't think they'll be around for much longer. The entire Front Office has been a fiasco for years, and Gase isn't much better than Philbin as Head Coach. Gase even likes the same style of offense (and o-line play) as Philbin, and they both seem to love having ex-Bengal coaches (with their respective ineffective defensive schemes) as their DC. Let the next regime choose their own QB.

As others have said, the general opinion on these QBs is they are not truly high first round talents (excluding maybe Darnold). They all have major question marks. So to give up extra value for them would be very risky and it's just not worth that risk for a team that has other pressing needs and a decent quarterback already notwithstanding the health concerns.

Seems to me most years there is a QB (are QBs) who climb the draft board in part because some teams are desperate. I really struggle with 4 QBs being 4 of the best 6 draft picks. Earlier this year I was struggling with all being top 10.

If the right guy falls to #6...it should only take a 2nd rounder to move up...I’d offer next years 2nd and a sweetener if neccesary.

Otherwise, stay at #11...see who falls and see what tradedown offers come our way.

I would like to get at one of the top 3 tight ends...but #11is too rich for them.

We should probably stay put but if we're going to move then I'd rather move down and not up with t-dumb calling the shots

A week or two ago I would have thrown up at the idea, but I'm starting to change my mind. This team is not set up for immediate success right now, there are way too many holes so the logical idea would be to accumulate more picks rather than less. However, if we accept that 2018 is going to be a rebuild season, getting the major piece of your puzzle in a QB rich draft, makes sense. We'll be picking high in the draft next year so you can use your high picks to garner more picks to fill out your roster for 2019 and have a real go there.

The secondary worry is that with the Jets and Bills in position to grab a franchise guy, if they hit on their picks we are going to be basement AFC east dwellers for a long while, forcing our need next year and the year after and so on. Honestly as completely insane as it sounds, I wouldn't be totally against the idea.

Stand pat unless all 4 of the defensive guys (the 2 LBs and 2 Ss) are gone. Then look at trading back up.

We can talk about drafting a qb early again in 2 years. The 2019 class isn’t very good supposedly but in 2020 we will all be sold on Tannehill one way or another, then we can talk about moving up in the draft for a qb. Prime time

I agree with this 99% .The only part that I disagree with is the QB's next year(I also read it not very good until I looked),and it's a pretty decent class.Check it out it's not bad.

I feel we hear that line every year, "next year's QB class is going to be good". It rarely happens that way, the draft process exposes the good and bad about this year's crop, next year's hasn't been evaluated to that degree yet.

A couple of recent recent examples of players who've been predicted to be can't miss before they've played their final college season are Matt Barkley and Christian Hackenberg.

You've got to ask yourself.... Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, etc.

At age 21-22 what would you give for one of those guys? Most likely anything.

If the Dolphins feel like that guy is available, then again, the cost will be irrelevant if it all works out. A franchise QB is priceless. Our head coach is a QB guy. If his guy is there and there's a chance to get him it's going to happen.

If you have to debate whether or not something is smart, it probably isn't.

That's actually easy. If Miami sees a quarterback they rate more highly than Ryan Tannehill, then the organization should do everything in its power to move up. Have to balance that with the cost obviously. It may be higher than your example.

Saying that, I'm also extremely intrigued by Lamar Jackson who should be there at #11. That's a lot of talent for Adam Gase to work with without losing so many picks.

A week or two ago I would have thrown up at the idea, but I'm starting to change my mind. This team is not set up for immediate success right now, there are way too many holes so the logical idea would be to accumulate more picks rather than less. However, if we accept that 2018 is going to be a rebuild season, getting the major piece of your puzzle in a QB rich draft, makes sense. We'll be picking high in the draft next year so you can use your high picks to garner more picks to fill out your roster for 2019 and have a real go there.

The secondary worry is that with the Jets and Bills in position to grab a franchise guy, if they hit on their picks we are going to be basement AFC east dwellers for a long while, forcing our need next year and the year after and so on. Honestly as completely insane as it sounds, I wouldn't be totally against the idea.
I'm not accepting that. I like this squad. Of course, everything depends on health like it does for a lot of teams, but if we stay healthy (obviously Tanne) and hit on some draft picks which hopefully addresses LB and TE, I think we could compete for a playoff spot.

Back
Top Bottom