J. Fields and epilepsy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J. Fields and epilepsy?

Namor

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Does Fields dealing with epilepsy hurt his draft stock?..and how much?

Sucks to hear, but doctors say its in his family history and the others who had it in his family outgrew the issue. Hopefully that doesn't hurt his stock too much.

I assume he is on some medication and some of the anti seizure meds can make you a bit loggy but i would guess his dosage is not very high.

The fact that he has family history of people "outgrowing" it is a positive.

Obviously we do not know his history with seizures(nor should we)but it does not sound like it has been an issue in terms of football.

I don't think it affects his draft status and hopefully his success will help de-stigmatize the condition.

I have generally disliked OH ST going all the way back to Woody Hayes but all this crap Fields has been dealing with in the pre Draft process is making me cheer for him.

Hopefully he does not end up in NE.......................;)

It will not matter to San Fran no matter what...
Fields in a processing type of O ...will not cut it.

Right.

I don't see Fields on SF's radar.

It is either Jones as the system fit or Lance to sit behind Garoppolo.

I have generally disliked OH ST going all the way back to Woody Hayes but all this crap Fields has been dealing with in the pre Draft process is making me cheer for him.

Hopefully he does not end up in NE.......................;)
High upside player but I think the scrutiny is logical. He's got so many quirks in his delivery and his processing, to the point it's difficult to assess how much of a factor they will be or how many of them will iron out either via maturity or coaching.

My reference point is the 2019 semifinal game vs. Clemson. That was a loaded Buckeyes team and had total control of the game early. Clemson was reeling and stunned. But Fields kept blowing opportunities and settling for field goals. That's not going to cut it in contemporary college football. Once Clemson and Lawrence regrouped I didn't think there was any question that Clemson would pull it out. I spent the final drive basically waiting for Fields to screw up. No surprise at all when he forced the interception into the end zone for no reason at all on an early down.

My impression of Fields carried over into this year's playoffs. Great job with the big plays versus Clemson. But I had almost no interest whatsoever in the title game, to the point I watched it in the wee hours 6 hours after the fact. If Fields was that mentally fragile a year earlier he's not going to follow up a huge performance against Clemson with another one against Alabama. That's the way I look at things, with a regression mentality. I turned on that tape to see Justin Fields exactly as I expected. Overmatched.

It doesn't mean he can't snap out of it in the pros. He'll have more raw ability than virtually any quarterback in the league. This is not another Dwayne Haskins. Downfield accuracy is very good. Heck, I won't be opposed to the Dolphins drafting him at 6. But it figures to be a wild ride of extreme fluctuation level depending on opponent and how the game plays out. If the dagger throws are taken away Fields is going to face patience level he's unaccustomed to.

Plus he's got the high extended elbow on his backswing. I am admittedly biased against that. When you man-to-man wager on so many singular events like a field goal attempt or a curling shot or a single round of biathlon you've got to be ultra aware of mechanics and how they respond to pressure. I didn't really pay much attention to that Fields elbow flaw until the 2019 Clemson game. Trey Lance has a wild long delivery also but he keeps his elbow low and doesn't get locked. Once that elbow is extended it can become tense and lead to midrange inaccuracy. Cam Newton had the same issue. I assumed he would relax in the pros as his experience increased. Instead it trended the other way, to more tension in that throwing arm and increasingly reliance on line drive darts. Carson Wentz likewise has the high extended elbow and it got worse in the NFL, now to the point of a major reclamation project needed.

The good news for Fields is that he has the extended elbow but it's not overly tense. I'm not sure he's even aware of it. Could be a more simple fix than anyone realizes. Frankly the Buckeye coaching staff always seems great on play designs and game strategy but not preoccupied with mechanics or technique.

Back
Top Bottom