J-Off Pounds the Table - Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
Great information, as always. You have added so much to this draft season.

Watching tape of Rivers he looks extremely explosive, among the best in the draft. Not sure how Miami would use him, but like you noted he's probably best in a 3-4.

Watt is one of my favorites from this draft class. I wonder if he will continue to improve much like his brother did. He certainly has the work ethic. Lately I've seen him mocked in the beginning stages of round two. In fact, SB Nation had him going #54 to the Dolphins in their recent mock. One of my concerns with the top ranked linebackers, though, is that they all have had injuries. Watt, of course, could end up at DE.

Your analysis of Hall makes me wonder if he just needs good coaching to reach his heights. I guess those are the things decision makers talk about.

I love Witherspoon, but have consistently seen him mocked very low considering his talent level. Not sure what I'm missing, but maybe it's the tackling issue. That seems to be prevalent among the top CB's this year.

I really think Miami looks at safety pretty early. Still think Peppers is in play in round one, if he gets past Baltimore.

Thanks SF! I'm glad that these posts have been enjoyable.

Yeah, I think with Rivers, if he's sitting there at 54, particularly if you didn't draft a pass rusher at 22, and assuming Willis, Watt, and Bowser are off the board (safe assumption, imo), he's worth strong consideration even if he's just a situational pass rusher as a rookie.

With Hall, I don't know if it's him or the coaching. If he interviewed poorly, I would rank him lower (don't know). But, it's hard to question his physical tools.

I agree that most of the top CB's aren't very good tacklers. Many of the CB's project great to press zone schemes because of their length, but those D's typically require the CB's to be more involved in the run game, so teams will have to project which CB's will improve that area in the NFL. Unless Witherspoon is just a soft guy, he has the physical tools to be very good in this area - big CB.

It sounds like Miami likes Peppers a lot, and I wouldn't fault them for that. He's a very good football player. He's lower on my list of players I want at 22, but I'd be cool with the pick.

Great stuff J-off. There is so much talent in this draft at DE I hope we double down on the position. It's just too pricey to find guys who can get to the QB in free agency.

Much appreciated, fininpsl! I'm with you on doubling up at DE - or at least doubling up on pass rusher. I'd be fine with a DE and an OLB/Edge combination. If Miami is looking for a later option to pair with an earlier pick, Jeremiah Ledbetter is a DE I didn't highlight in the OP, but he's my pick to be a guy like Frank Clark, who puts up much better numbers in the NFL than in college. He'd play a similar role to Trey Flowers - base DE, who kicks inside on passing situations. He's bigger and more athletic than Flowers, but he's not as refined. I do think he's better than his stats indicate. He spent a lot of time at DT and faced a lot of double teams in 2016.

Thanks SF! I'm glad that these posts have been enjoyable.

Yeah, I think with Rivers, if he's sitting there at 54, particularly if you didn't draft a pass rusher at 22, and assuming Willis, Watt, and Bowser are off the board (safe assumption, imo), he's worth strong consideration even if he's just a situational pass rusher as a rookie.

With Hall, I don't know if it's him or the coaching. If he interviewed poorly, I would rank him lower (don't know). But, it's hard to question his physical tools.

I agree that most of the top CB's aren't very good tacklers. Many of the CB's project great to press zone schemes because of their length, but those D's typically require the CB's to be more involved in the run game, so teams will have to project which CB's will improve that area in the NFL. Unless Witherspoon is just a soft guy, he has the physical tools to be very good in this area - big CB.

It sounds like Miami likes Peppers a lot, and I wouldn't fault them for that. He's a very good football player. He's lower on my list of players I want at 22, but I'd be cool with the pick.

Will be interesting to see what Miami does if Peppers, Foster and Willis are all available at #22.

I have the team penciled in for an offensive guard in round two, simply because I think without an upgrade there it's going to be tough for the offense to improve. But if you go Peppers or Foster, I wonder what pass rushers could be there around that #97 pick? Hall maybe? A trade up? Perhaps the team goes pass rusher in round two and then the question becomes what starting caliber guards are left?

Anyway, I've been really impressed with the information on the draft provided by so many Dolphins fans like you, CK, Slimm and others. Thanks again.

I can't wait to discuss the actual draft. My son calls it Christmas for all football fans not in New England. Their Christmas is the super bowl.

Great post, as always, J. I still can't get over the depth of this class. It seems like every year I'm looking at LBs, S, CBs, etc. and finding specific traits that just might translate to the next level because something is lacking with the body of work, athleticism, intelligence, character, etc.. There's always some shade of 'he might need work with this, this, and this ... but upon further examination he's really good at that' kind of thing. With this class, I'm able to go back and really nitpick and focus on the things I don't love about the player because there are so many positives that I already know about. When are there like 10 LBs instead of 1 or 2 who have a realistic chance at being special? It just doesn't happen every year. And they come in all flavors this time around. Don't like the stick of dynamite? Take the well rounded finesse guy. Or the pass rusher. Lots of options ... making it easier. I like easier for this team, currently. Take advantage Miami.

Great post, as always, J. I still can't get over the depth of this class. It seems like every year I'm looking at LBs, S, CBs, etc. and finding specific traits that just might translate to the next level because something is lacking with the body of work, athleticism, intelligence, character, etc.. There's always some shade of 'he might need work with this, this, and this ... but upon further examination he's really good at that' kind of thing. With this class, I'm able to go back and really nitpick and focus on the things I don't love about the player because there are so many positives that I already know about. When are there like 10 LBs instead of 1 or 2 who have a realistic chance at being special? It just doesn't happen every year. And they come in all flavors this time around. Don't like the stick of dynamite? Take the well rounded finesse guy. Or the pass rusher. Lots of options ... making it easier. I like easier for this team, currently. Take advantage Miami.

Thanks man! I'm working on a 2-part piece that I hope to post in the main on either Tuesday and Wednesday or Wednesday and Thursday. Haven't decided which will work better or if I can even finish the first part by Tuesday, but Part 1 will show every player I would target at each draft spot for Miami, and I'll post an overview of each position along with it; Part 2 will be a big board with overall rankings for 173 players - was 174 prior to Brantley's incident. That list will include only players with 5th RD grades or better - inspired by the report that Miami's board is 140 players deep. I could only cut mine to 173.

Anyway, I think those posts will tie together the other stuff I've been doing. Thanks again!

J help me feel better about Barnett. I'm not a fan. I see poor screen\run recognition which is fine if he was a more explosive athlete. I don't see NFL sack potential, he is another Branch in my view and we don't need another low sack DE

J-off on Jordan Willis said:
Projected in the 2nd, everything about Willis’ resume screams top-10. Of Combine participants from 2007-2017, Jordan Willis is the only Edge prospect to weigh at least 250lbs, run a sub-4.60 40, and post a sub-6.90 3-cone. Over that time span, the only other player to come close is Danielle Hunter, but his 6.95 3-cone came at his Pro Day. Looking back further, in 2003, DeMarcus Ware needed his Pro Day to break 4.60, and, when factoring in Ware’s Pro Day, he posted similar numbers to Willis. Beasley is another good athletic comp for Willis, but Willis weighed in 9lbs heavier. Again, this is a rare athlete, with every intangible you desire, and he improved every season at Kansas St, culminating with his senior season, where he played as well as anyone in the country. Outside of Myles Garrett, who is on his own planet/tier, Willis is the best Edge in a loaded class.

Awesome work J-off, thank you! After reading this, I wouldn't complain one bit if we took Willis. All I want is a guy who can really help us and he looks like he can fit the bill.

J-Off-Her

It's guys like you that bring me back to this site every day. I could spend a day just reading discussions between you and CK. Thanks for all you do for us fans!

Hey J wonder what u think of Carl Lawson from Auburn. I like him a lot. Has good first step and works his hands really well. I like him just as much as Willis or Barnett from Tennessee. Wondering where you have him going and why he isn't on your list.

J help me feel better about Barnett. I'm not a fan. I see poor screen\run recognition which is fine if he was a more explosive athlete. I don't see NFL sack potential, he is another Branch in my view and we don't need another low sack DE

I think every DE will miss the occasional screen pass, and he has very good instincts and a high motor. His production combined with his agility make him a good bet to be at least good in the NFL. He wins with his hands and bend, and he'd do well to develop a better inside counter, but if athleticism and physical tools were not important (I think they are), he'd be a yop-10 lock. He could still go top 10.

If Miami drafts Barnett, you can look forward to a pass rusher with advanced technique, despite being young, and winning agility. His athleticism should limit his ceiling and overall impact, though. I was hoping he'd test in a similar range to Bosa, and while he displayed a similar athletic profile in terms of strengths and weaknesses, he came in smaller and less athletic.

Good player, appropriate value at 22, but there will be options I prefer.

Awesome work J-off, thank you! After reading this, I wouldn't complain one bit if we took Willis. All I want is a guy who can really help us and he looks like he can fit the bill.

Thank you! Glad the Willis argument makes sense, and I don't think he'd disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom