J-Off Pounds the Table - Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
J-Off-Her

It's guys like you that bring me back to this site every day. I could spend a day just reading discussions between you and CK. Thanks for all you do for us fans!

Much appreciated, FostyFinFan! Between Slimm, CK, Awsi, Chambers, Silver, SoS, and quite a few others, when FH is running at peak capacity, the level of conversation is much better than other forums I've checked - speaking primarily of draft-specific forums.

Hey J wonder what u think of Carl Lawson from Auburn. I like him a lot. Has good first step and works his hands really well. I like him just as much as Willis or Barnett from Tennessee. Wondering where you have him going and why he isn't on your list.

I like Lawson. He's incredibly strong and very fast, and shows good quickness for a player with his bulk. My main concern is that in addition to being short, with short arms, his jumps were average, and his 3-cone was very bad. Because of injuries, his production falls below what you want. These are areas that - to me - increase risk and limit his ceiling. But, that combo of speed, strength, and quickness should lead to success in the NFL.

I do like Willis and Barnett more, but you're I've seen him Lawson rated ahead of each, so you're not alone in that opinion.

J.

What do you know about Hunter Dimick, DE, Utah? Just heard him on the radio... He led the Pac 12 in sacks but got snubbed for the combine. He put up 38 reps at his pro-day and ran 4.69 in the 40; he graduated with honors. He says he has received lots of calls since the pro-day. I assume Miami was at the pro-day scouting Asiata and Williams. MTC interviewed him after Feeney named him as one of very few guys who got a sack against him, during an interview. Anything?

RW

Much appreciated, FostyFinFan! Between Slimm, CK, Awsi, Chambers, Silver, SoS, and quite a few others, when FH is running at peak capacity, the level of conversation is much better than other forums I've checked - speaking primarily of draft-specific forums.

Thank you very much for the kind gesture but I can't hold a candle to your depth and quality in draft analysis. :brewskis:

It's a great draft for defensive talent. I have 174 players with 5th RD or better grades, and 94 are defensive players.

Takk is interesting. I don't like him as much as you do, but he's in my top 75 overall, so I do think that he'll be a good player. I agree that he could potentially play DE, OLB/Edge, or Off OLB. He has traits that you like for each - speed, length, tenacity/motor. I'm not sure what to expect from him as a pass rusher, though. With his motor, he should grab some clean-up sacks, but his lack of refinement aside (and we definitely have to try to contextualize the shoulder within that), he performed poorly on the jumps and agility drills. It's very possible that the shoulder hampered those performances, but watching him, I thought the tests matched the tape - very fast but not sudden. He's similar to Dante Fowler - just lighter. Fowler went #3 overall. I didn't like it, but Takk will clearly have traits that NFL teams covet. I love watching him. He's as relentless as any player in the draft. With that speed, I do think he has a shot of making it work, but I think he must improve his upper body strength significantly (maybe just the shoulder), and I'm a little worried about how far back his shoulder will set him.

I think Watt and Bowser are the guys at OLB/Edge in this class. They have the rare tools you only see once every 2-3 years. With Watt, the main concern is his knees. With Bowser, I don't think you have any major concerns, but you have less evidence from him that he can play up to his talent. After them, I like Rivers. He has a lot of the same traits - just on a lesser level. But, he is stronger and faster than either, and he was much more productive than either. Rivers is probably a poor fit for Miami, but I'd still consider him at 54.

This is a really weird draft, because Safety and TE are usually very thin groups, and by their standards, they're overflowing with talent this year. I have 11 Safeties in my top 100 - not including Baker and D. King, who I have at Slot. And, after the top 100, there are waves of more solid Safeties.

Appreciate all the quality posts, CK! The board is much better when you're around.

I'm with you J on the Takk debate. There are things i love about the guy....he's quick off the ball and explodes upfield (he makes Willis look slow), is relentless in pursuit and never stops. I've also seen him turn speed into power nicely at times. His straight speed is great, but his re-direct is not. It shows on tape and showed in his workouts. I saw him get locked up too often by college tackles, unable to counter or shake. Some could be the shoulders....which then are also a concern bc shoulders tend to linger.....but i think part is having bad hands and stiff hips. He doesn't bend and arc....he played very upright in the few games i watched. If you draft him high, the medical better check out and you have to be thinking more long term because i think the guy is raw and needs work.

Last edited by a moderator:
J.

What do you know about Hunter Dimick, DE, Utah? Just heard him on the radio... He led the Pac 12 in sacks but got snubbed for the combine. He put up 38 reps at his pro-day and ran 4.69 in the 40; he graduated with honors. He says he has received lots of calls since the pro-day. I assume Miami was at the pro-day scouting Asiata and Williams. MTC interviewed him after Feeney named him as one of very few guys who got a sack against him, during an interview. Anything?

RW

I like him. I have him ranked at 100 overall. He's a little hard to gauge, with short arms and small hands, but he's very strong, sudden, and his agility is pretty good. He shows high-level awareness and recognition; he's passionate and focused; and he would have totaled over 30 sacks at Utah if not for missing time in 2015. He was a team captain and broke the school's sack record. In addition to his short arms and small hands, he showed very poor explosive power in the jumps, and he'll be 24 in October. Like all the players in that range, he's a mixed bag. But, a D that can find a home for players like Carl Lawson, Charles Harris, and Tim Williams should be able to find a home for Hunter Dimick. I do have those players rated ahead of him, BTW.

I'm a little reluctant to do this because...we're probably NOT going to end up with the player. But I'm going to go ahead and see if I can't show people what I see on Takkarist McKinley.

[video=youtube_share;qcf_D9IhrSw]https://youtu.be/qcf_D9IhrSw[/video]

Here are the notes on this video:

1. This is obviously meant to show you the good things I see both in pass rush and against the run.
2. The sheer proliferation of these plays is astounding. Three games, over 30 clips per game worthy of showing in a positive light.
3. The variation is also fantastic: standing up, rushing from right, rushing from left, rushing from wide, rushing from a 5-technique, rushing as an ILB, rushing as a DT, short yardage work, etc.
4. Things I see: hustle, retrace, shutting off the edge, getting off blocks, squeezing, crossing lateral space, getting hands up, speed rush, bull rush, counters, COD, sudden movements, stop-start, reaction time, burst, ball awareness, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any input on Bryan Cox Jr? I'm sure people within the organization will give him a chance

J-off, if we somehow are boneheaded this weekend and get through round two without grabbing a pass-rusher, who would you like that you think would still be available at 97 in terms of edge players?

J-off, if we somehow are boneheaded this weekend and get through round two without grabbing a pass-rusher, who would you like that you think would still be available at 97 in terms of edge players?

Some people think Daeshon Hall could be there at 97, and he'd be my top choice if available. After him, I like both Arkansas DE's a lot. Ledbetter looks like a guy who can explode at the next level. He's like a less refined, bigger, and more athletic Trey Flowers. I'll go into more detail on mid and late-round options over the next couple days.

Tanoh Kpassagnon is a guy I would pound the table for at 97 overall or beyond. He is pretty ridiculous. I would probably go with Daeshon Hall first, I agree there, but I'm not slipping onto any Arkansas DEs before I take Kpass.

Tanoh Kpassagnon is a guy I would pound the table for at 97 overall or beyond. He is pretty ridiculous. I would probably go with Daeshon Hall first, I agree there, but I'm not slipping onto any Arkansas DEs before I take Kpass.

I have Ledbetter, Wise, Basham, and Kpassagnon in consecutive order overall, and I can definitely understand liking him best.

Yeah the problem there is I don't just like him the best, I think he's in head and shoulders territory. Well, not necessarily head and shoulders above Basham.

He's got special talent. Compares favorably to Devin Taylor, but I think he may end up more than that. I mean, he is AT LEAST a Devin Taylor. Which isn't someone you maybe just sort of think about in the 4th round, to me.

Some people think Daeshon Hall could be there at 97, and he'd be my top choice if available. After him, I like both Arkansas DE's a lot. Ledbetter looks like a guy who can explode at the next level. He's like a less refined, bigger, and more athletic Trey Flowers. I'll go into more detail on mid and late-round options over the next couple days.

Hall just needs to work on his hand usage and he will be a starting DE with production. Very teachable deficiencies if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom