J-Off Pounds the Table - Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Cheers :brewskis:

b430ee5f87c24471a754160f6e5f9de8.png

DE – Jordan Willis
* The Big 12 2016 Defensive Player of the Year, and PFF’s top-graded Edge for 2016, Willis is a rare athlete, with high-end work ethic and maturity. The narrative that his tape does not match his athletic testing reveals a lack of understanding within its proprietors. Like Gregory and Hunter, Willis was asked to read the OT quite a bit at Kansas St. The DL rotation was also famously thin. So, in defense of these misguided souls, there are reasons that, on a given play, Willis does not look as athletic as he tested; however, if you view his play on passing situations or third downs, his speed, burst, and agility jump off the screen.

Projected in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], everything about Willis’ resume screams top-10. Of Combine participants from 2007-2017, Jordan Willis is the only Edge prospect to weigh at least 250lbs, run a sub-4.60 40, and post a sub-6.90 3-cone. Over that time span, the only other player to come close is Danielle Hunter, but his 6.95 3-cone came at his Pro Day. Looking back further, in 2003, DeMarcus Ware needed his Pro Day to break 4.60, and, when factoring in Ware’s Pro Day, he posted similar numbers to Willis. Beasley is another good athletic comp for Willis, but Willis weighed in 9lbs heavier. Again, this is a rare athlete, with every intangible you desire, and he improved every season at Kansas St, culminating with his senior season, where he played as well as anyone in the country. Outside of Myles Garrett, who is on his own planet/tier, Willis is the best Edge in a loaded class.

23f36b343cf643f0b1cb6e440583a9ab.png

DE – Trey Hendrickson * Productive, high-motor, player, with very good athleticism, Hendrickson compares favorably to Shaq Lawson (a top-20 pick in 2016), and he posted better career production than Lawson. While Hendrickson possesses good size at 266lbs, he must improve his functional strength, and he’ll need to overcome his 32” arms – not a huge obstacle given his athletic tools. Like many, his pass-rush game needs refinement, and he often won with pure athleticism and hustle.

Projected in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD, Hendrickson belongs in the top 54. In addition to projecting as a quality pass rusher, Hendrickson excelled in spy duties and looked comfortable in space. He’s an athletic, versatile player, and while he needs to add strength and improve vs the run, his ability to disrupt the pass is too valuable to let slip.

eaf4eebb00cb43f79d909303ebf1aa6e.png

DE – Deashon Hall * Elite combination of length, speed, and agility, Hall is a little frustrating to watch. He doesn’t capitalize on his tools at the rate you’d hope for/expect. Still, his tools are very similar to players like Chandler Jones and Aldon Smith, and he outpaced each in just about every Combine drill. He also totaled 27.5 TFL over his last two seasons, 104 tackles, and 4 FF. So, while his 10.5 sacks during that period underwhelm, he does impact games.

Projected in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RD, Hall belongs in the top 54, and has a case for top 32. A disappointing senior season left a bitter taste, but looking at the big picture, Hall stacks up well against the traits and production of Chandler Jones, who has outplayed his 21[SUP]st[/SUP] overall selection.

3e53224a2e734fa981df57f88e580b76.png

DE – Avery Moss * A very similar athlete to projected 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] RD pick, Tarell Basham, Moss has a good frame (arms a ¼” longer than Taco Charlton’s) and average athleticism. Teams will have to sort out his character and journey from Nebraska to Youngstown St, but he posted good numbers as a senior, and he shows natural athleticism/coordination – likely tied to his basketball background.

Projected as a 7[SUP]th[/SUP]-UDFA, Moss should find playing time early, and he has starter upside. His upper-body strength needs significant work, but, as a potential starter or high-end rotational player, Moss looks good in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 5[SUP]th[/SUP] RD.

b6324f45b1604b969423fd7a4b32e520.png

OLB – Derek Rivers * Listing back-to-back Youngstown St players brings back memories of watching Marshall play Youngstown St in the Division I-AA National Championship games of the early 90s – some of my first football memories. Rivers is a very good athlete, with high-end speed, solid burst, and near-elite agility. Under 250lbs, he projects best as a 3-4 OLB. With 36 sacks over his final three seasons, Rivers knows how to get after the QB. He’s very strong and bends the edge at a high level.

Projected in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD, Rivers is too athletic and too good to fall that far. For a 3-4 team, Derek Rivers is worth a top-20 pick. His combination of effort, strength, skill, and overall athleticism make him very likely to continue his disruptive ways in the NFL.

c5ee6b168ec74ca9a65f27477c018767.png

OLB – Tyus Bowser * Quietly, Bowser was much more productive as a senior than people seem to understand. He averaged 1 sack and 1 ½ TFL per game. If not for an incident where teammate lost his temper and fractured Bowser’s eye, Bowser would widely be considered a top-15 prospect. His production is more impressive when you understand how often he dropped into coverage, where he also excels. He needs to add strength, and he looks like he can play between 250-255lbs without issue, but he’s able to excel in coverage and as a pass rusher, because he’s an elite athlete, with the best agility of any Edge in the 2017 Draft.

Projected in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], Bowser is my 10[SUP]th[/SUP] overall player. His basketball background is an athletic blessing, but his time playing hoops at Houston limited his short-term development, and he should blossom in the NFL. With a high ceiling as a pass rusher and cover man, Bowser’s athleticism and versatility also raise his floor.

4502352f882a43c9b2748ba625817cd1.png

OLB – TJ Watt * Outstanding combination of strength, burst, and agility, despite only playing D for, what amounts to, one season, Watt shows great instincts and awareness. Those traits should only improve. He’s a big OLB or a small DE – just 3lbs lighter than Jordan Willis. Watt shows tremendous flexibility when bending the edge and already uses his (giant) hands pretty well. Despite it being his first year at the position, Watt posted 11.5 sacks and 15.5 TFL to go along with an INT returned for a TD, 2 FF, and a FR.

Projected in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] RD, Watt is a rapidly ascending talent, and he’s worth a top-10 pick as an OLB – either in a 3-4 or in a 4-3, where he rushes off the edge on obvious pass downs. As he develops, he should be murder against the pass and run. You love that he’s JJ’s younger brother and that he’ll be learning from him, but you have to really love that he has that same dog in him. His physical tools combined with his relentless approach and excellent bloodlines make him a top-tier prospect.

b7ad3ead7d8b43ddbdb5a1f27a837f67.png

OLB – Samson Ebukam * Freaky, chiseled athlete with high-end burst and lower-body strength, Ebukam played DE primarily at Eastern Washington, where his lower body explosion allowed him to power through double teams and bull rush man blocking. He’ll be raw and need development as an athlete, but in addition to being freaky, he’s a natural athlete and picks up tasks quickly. Made Big Sky All-Academic team each of his four seasons at Eastern Washington, and he’s a high-character player.

Projected in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] or 7[SUP]th[/SUP] RD, Ebukam’s combination of intelligence, drive, and athleticism make him a solid gamble in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD. While undersized to play 3-4 OLB, I would not bet against him in that role, but he looks like a 4-3 SLB in the NFL – preferably in an Over front. Athletically, he profiles very similarly to Patrick Willis (similar 10-YS, Vert, and agility drills; Willis ran faster at his Pro Day, and Ebukam had a better Broad by 11”). He’s not going to be Patrick Willis, but it gives you an idea of the type of athletic ability Ebukam brings to the table.

00a0bfc1a4fd410eb4631b7cdf5ddac2.png

OLB – Pita Taumoepenu * With good speed and very good agility, Taumoepenu gets and bends the edge very well. His size will make that more difficult in the NFL, but he’s a slippery, high-motor pass rusher, and he looks comfortable playing in space. He will have to transition to OLB in the NFL, and he’ll have to add 5-10 lbs to play 3-4 OLB. With 21.5 career sacks and 25.5 TFL, Taumoepenu has shown the ability to apply pressure, and he has some of the physical traits to carry that into the NFL.

Projected as an UDFA, and not even projected as that by some outlets, Taumoepenu is worth removing from the UDFA pool in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] or 7[SUP]th[/SUP] RD. His high effort and solid speed translate well to ST’s, and he has a legitimate, if small, chance of developing into a quality rotational pass rusher. He’s a projection at OLB, but his physical tools and high motor give him a shot there, as well. As far as Utah prospects go, he’s not very old – won’t turn 24 until next March.

c6dcdad474a040b49919f7ea6c9c6f2c.png

OLB – JT Jones * Thick lower half with high-end explosive burst and decent agility, Jones is likely too small to stay at DE, and he needs to improve his upper-body strength. If he can round out his game, his burst will put him in position to make a lot of plays. 16.5 sacks and 27 TFL over his last two seasons, his production mostly came against MAC opponents, but he did register a sack against Iowa.

Projected not even as an UDFA, JT Jones has shown enough production and enough athleticism to warrant a draft pick in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] or 7[SUP]th[/SUP] RD. His tape is inconsistent, but when he does the right thing, it looks really good. He has quality-starter talent at OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 D.

8ccf56fd4ee04c528d8c6d4d05694640.png

ILB – Blair Brown * Instinctive run defender, with a stocky frame and a nasty demeanor, Brown is also an excellent athlete. He tested similarly to Eric Kendricks, while weighing six pounds more than Kendricks. Not as instinctive in the pass game as the run game, that’s a slight concern, but his athleticism should help him overcome that. With one year of production, you worry a little, but his tape against the run is very clean, so that eases the 1-year-wonder concern. Vicious and fundamentally sound tackler.

Projected in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] RD, Brown’s physical tools and outstanding play against the run should see him go in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD. He has the ideal temperament for a LB, and he should be ready to start early.

zEWKbpq_.jpg

ILB – Richie Brown * Small LB with very good athleticism, instincts, and coverage ability, Brown looks best at WLB in the NFL, but he has the instincts of a MLB, and he’s worth a look at Mike. Must improve strength, and while he plays downhill, as a Mike at Mississippi St, OL would still wash him out of the play. Brown was very productive at Mississippi St, with 298 tackles, 20 TFL, 10 sacks, and 5 INT’s.

Projected as an UDFA, Brown is worth a look in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 5[SUP]th[/SUP] RD. As a WLB, his combination of athleticism, instincts and coverage ability should make him a quality player, and if he falls short of that, he should be a ST’s demon.

2fafa559f9ce466eaae95b90d36d3df9.png

CB – Ahkello Witherspoon * Big, long, fast CB, who mirrors very well, Witherspoon offers a high-demand skill set. While he could improve as a tackler, and he could get his head around with greater consistency, Witherspoon possesses all the traits of a dominant CB.

Projected in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD, Witherspoon belongs in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] RD group, and I think he’s one of the best 32 talents in this draft. He’s much more polished than Kevin King, and he offers better length and mirroring ability; though, King’s agility gives him the upside advantage in this category. I like both in the late 1[SUP]st[/SUP], but Witherspoon should have received the Combine bump that King did.

7d582664c0ea49ee8192d8ae8d23c952.png

CB – Shaquill Griffin * Tough, fast, long CB, with high effort and character, and outstanding burst, Griffin is one of only four CB’s since 2010 to post a sub-4.40 40 and have 32”+ arms. The other three are Patrick Peterson, Darius Slay, and Justin Gilbert. Though Slay was drafted in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], he has played like a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] RD CB, and Peterson has been one of the top 2 or 3 CB’s in the NFL for some time. Outside of Peterson, Griffin tested better in the other drills than the other three. Griffin needs to clean up his footwork and leverage in coverage, but he breaks on the ball and plays the ball very well, and he’s a tough tackler.

Projected as a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RD CB, Griffin also belongs in the top 54, and I like him with Witherspoon, Humphrey, King, and Wilson at the back end of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. He’s an outstanding athlete and an instinctual player, with room to grow into a very good NFL CB. His physicality, speed, and length project well to Cover-3 and Cover-4 D’s, but he’s a versatile athlete and player, and he has enough agility and burst to play in a straight-man scheme. He’d just need some extra technique work/extra time.

87257f972246499ca7b90395c4367cc3.png

CB – Rasul Douglas * Big, strong, physical CB, with high-end anticipation and ball skills, Douglas is an outstanding zone CB, and he’s among the very best Cover-2 CB’s in this class. His speed will require that he receives Safety help most of the time, and he only put up one year of production at West Virginia. That year of production was pretty good, though, with 70 tackles, 8 INT’s, 3.5 TFL, 8 PD’s, and a FF.

Projected in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RD, Douglas is worth a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD pick to Cover 2, 3, and 4 teams. He hits like a Safety, able to separate the receiver from the ball, and he plays with outstanding awareness. Douglas may be scheme specific, but in the right scheme, he should thrive. He’s not as fast or explosive as Charles “Peanut” Tillman, and it’s unreasonable to expect him to have that kind of career, but his instincts and playmaking ability 2016, in conjunction with his size, reminded me of Tillman.

bd60f22c197d44268e304276f2527914.png

S – Marcus Williams * Young Safety, with freaky athleticism, good anticipation, and solid tackling, Williams is arguably the best pure FS behind Malik Hooker. With 11 INT’s and 4 FF over three years at Utah, his ability to cover and close ground, at such a young age, gives Williams a very high ceiling and a relatively high floor.

Projected in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] RD, Williams athleticism and playmaking ability, when factoring that he won’t be 21 until September, makes him a top-20 talent. He has no athletic weaknesses, with explosive power/burst being his best trait, which you can see with his ability to close.

5b40258f2b9f41b99715d244075e7033.png

S – Chuck Clark * With boundary CB length, FS bulk, and slot CB agility, Clark was versatile and productive for Virginia Tech. He shows excellent instincts and physicality vs the run, and he closes quickly. His ball skills are just OK, and his speed and burst are just average, but he makes up for a lot of that with anticipation and urgency. Because of his ability to play any position in the secondary, he should find playing time early.

Projected as a 7[SUP]th[/SUP]/UDFA, Clark should go in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RD. He should develop into a starting-caliber DB, with fringe Pro Bowl upside. He reminds me a little of Ryan Clark. He’s very sound in his responsibilities and a hard hitter, with deceptive range, but he’s not what you would consider a ballhawk. With more multiple-DB packages, Clark’s skill set should be in high demand.

7d1e1914792e49ca95fdff2436e3daba.png

S – Kai Nacua
* Ballhawking FS, with excellent burst and range, Nacua ended the 2015 Boise St and the 2016 Wyoming games with INT’s. Elite athlete with elite playmaking ability and instincts, Nacua brings everything you want to the table in the passing game. Teams will have to see whether or not he’s knucklehead after the Bowl Brawl, and his tackle total is low, but as a true FS, Nacua offers high-end traits.

Projected as a 7[SUP]th[/SUP]/UDFA, Nacua is worth drafting in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD. He’s a silky-smooth athlete with ball production, who knows how to protect deep and jump routes. After Hooker and Williams, Nacua is the best FS prospect in the draft.

3b9c44a3dc484dbaae2c315121c741bb.png

S – Xavier Woods * Hard-hitting, instinctive, and quick, Xavier Woods is a menace on the field. 14 career INT’s and 6 FF to go along with 20.5 TFL, 272 tackles, and 18 PD’s pay testament to Woods’ playmaking ability. He’s small, but he’s very strong, and he hits like a truck.

Projected in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RD, Woods warrants a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD pick. Woods is an alpha, with great quickness and agility, and when combined with his top-notch instincts, he makes plays all over the field. His agility, toughness, and ball skills make him a great candidate for part-time work in the slot, but I think you want his instincts at Safety. Probably best as a 2-high Safety, but he has the instincts and tools to play single-high and the attitude to play in the box.

f530b42ed7324b9987782abbe282e007.png

S – Nate Gerry * Big, reliable Safety, who combines great instincts and devastating tackles, Gerry, like Woods, combines playmaking instincts and ball skills with bone-cracking hits. With only adequate speed and below average burst, Gerry may be best as a SS in the NFL, but he can also play in 2-high looks. While he’s extremely reliable on the field, there are some questions about his character and intelligence off the field. PFF gave him the best coverage grade of any Safety, and he’s very sound in his responsibilities, rarely giving up anything.

Projected as an UDFA, Gerry warrants a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] RD grade. People question his athleticism, but he’s about average, and he tested in the range of players like Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams (Combine), and Delano Hill. Again, his speed is adequate, and he’ll bring playmaking ability and a nasty attitude to whatever team drafts him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of intriguing prospects. Does Dylan Cole make your list? I didn't see him

Lots of intriguing prospects. Does Dylan Cole make your list? I didn't see him

I like Cole - great athlete, productive, but he's rated between the 4th-6th RD, most places I see, and that look about right to me. I think his instincts are just OK, and he looks like he'll be relegated to WLB - struggles taking on OL. He has a chance to make it as a starter in the NFL, but I wouldn't call it a good chance. I think Richie Brown is better and similar - though a lesser athlete.

There's a lot of good talent on the defensive side of the ball in this draft. I've come to appreciate much of it.

One player I didn't know I would adore as much as I ended up is Takkarist McKinley. He has the potential to be amazing, truly amazing.

But I love guys like Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Charles Harris, Jordan Willis. And I think Daeshon Hall is pretty close to that, as is Taco Charlton. I like Tarell Basham and Carl Lawson. Derek Rivers and Derek Barnett aren't too shabby either. DeMarcus Walker a good combination player. Fast forward and would I be shocked if Trey Hendrickson is one of the best DEs out of the class? Not at all. And I could say the exact same of Tanoh Kpassagnon. Malik McDowell has a lot of potential if he gets his head screwed on.

Takkarist McKinley will be special. TJ Watt could be special. Tyus Bowser could be special. Would anyone be shocked if Tim Williams gets his head screwed on right, learns to defend the run, and becomes pretty good? Not really. Ryan Anderson is really good. Vince Biegel is one of the more underrated players in the whole draft.

Jonathan Allen and Montravius Adams could be special 4-3 Under Tackles. Larry Ogunjobi and Chris Wormley will make 3-4 teams happy. Dalvin Tomlinson has that potential to make someone happy as a nose or 1-technique. The league will happily digest and add the likes of Carlos Watkins, Jaleel Johnson, Caleb Brantley, Vincent Taylor, and Nazair Jones to their interior rotations.

The three SEC linebackers are fantastic on the field, if you can just straighten them out a bit off the field (all three aren't what I would call "clean"). Anthony Walker has the best recognition and anticipation skills in the draft, and is a pretty good athlete. Haason Reddick has great potential if his corner experience really does translate in coverage. Alex Anzalone can play.

Marshon Lattimore, Kevin King, and Chidobe Awuzie should be special corners. Gareon Conley and Tre'Davious White are soft but the guys can cover. Adoree Jackson, Budda Baker, and Teez Tabor should at least end up manning slot nickel positions. Quincy Wilson and Cordrea Tankersley can play. When Fabian Moreau and Sidney Jones can stay healthy, they can play. Desmond King is fantastic.

And I love the safeties group with Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams, then Obi Melifonwu and Jabrill Peppers. Pretty good next tier with Delano Hill, Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Josh Jones, Justin Evans.

I focus a lot on the R5+ players because I appreciate most of the players that will go in the top three rounds.

Great information, as always. You have added so much to this draft season.

Watching tape of Rivers he looks extremely explosive, among the best in the draft. Not sure how Miami would use him, but like you noted he's probably best in a 3-4.

Watt is one of my favorites from this draft class. I wonder if he will continue to improve much like his brother did. He certainly has the work ethic. Lately I've seen him mocked in the beginning stages of round two. In fact, SB Nation had him going #54 to the Dolphins in their recent mock. One of my concerns with the top ranked linebackers, though, is that they all have had injuries. Watt, of course, could end up at DE.

Your analysis of Hall makes me wonder if he just needs good coaching to reach his heights. I guess those are the things decision makers talk about.

I love Witherspoon, but have consistently seen him mocked very low considering his talent level. Not sure what I'm missing, but maybe it's the tackling issue. That seems to be prevalent among the top CB's this year.

I really think Miami looks at safety pretty early. Still think Peppers is in play in round one, if he gets past Baltimore.

There's a lot of good talent on the defensive side of the ball in this draft. I've come to appreciate much of it.

One player I didn't know I would adore as much as I ended up is Takkarist McKinley. He has the potential to be amazing, truly amazing.

But I love guys like Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Charles Harris, Jordan Willis. And I think Daeshon Hall is pretty close to that, as is Taco Charlton. I like Tarell Basham and Carl Lawson. Derek Rivers and Derek Barnett aren't too shabby either. DeMarcus Walker a good combination player. Fast forward and would I be shocked if Trey Hendrickson is one of the best DEs out of the class? Not at all. And I could say the exact same of Tanoh Kpassagnon. Malik McDowell has a lot of potential if he gets his head screwed on.

Takkarist McKinley will be special. TJ Watt could be special. Tyus Bowser could be special. Would anyone be shocked if Tim Williams gets his head screwed on right, learns to defend the run, and becomes pretty good? Not really. Ryan Anderson is really good. Vince Biegel is one of the more underrated players in the whole draft.

Jonathan Allen and Montravius Adams could be special 4-3 Under Tackles. Larry Ogunjobi and Chris Wormley will make 3-4 teams happy. Dalvin Tomlinson has that potential to make someone happy as a nose or 1-technique. The league will happily digest and add the likes of Carlos Watkins, Jaleel Johnson, Caleb Brantley, Vincent Taylor, and Nazair Jones to their interior rotations.

The three SEC linebackers are fantastic on the field, if you can just straighten them out a bit off the field (all three aren't what I would call "clean"). Anthony Walker has the best recognition and anticipation skills in the draft, and is a pretty good athlete. Haason Reddick has great potential if his corner experience really does translate in coverage. Alex Anzalone can play.

Marshon Lattimore, Kevin King, and Chidobe Awuzie should be special corners. Gareon Conley and Tre'Davious White are soft but the guys can cover. Adoree Jackson, Budda Baker, and Teez Tabor should at least end up manning slot nickel positions. Quincy Wilson and Cordrea Tankersley can play. When Fabian Moreau and Sidney Jones can stay healthy, they can play. Desmond King is fantastic.

And I love the safeties group with Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams, then Obi Melifonwu and Jabrill Peppers. Pretty good next tier with Delano Hill, Marcus Maye, Marcus Williams, Josh Jones, Justin Evans.

I focus a lot on the R5+ players because I appreciate most of the players that will go in the top three rounds.

It's an amazing group of defensive players. Makes me think a trade down would be the way to go, but seems like every team is looking to trade down and get more picks.

Agree with you on McKinley. He does look like he could be special. I think he's a 3-4 guy all the way, no?

Would love to see Miami add a corner, but I want someone who can be physical in the run game. Maybe Griffin, who J-Off mentions.

Great stuff J-off. There is so much talent in this draft at DE I hope we double down on the position. It's just too pricey to find guys who can get to the QB in free agency.

Great stuff J-off. There is so much talent in this draft at DE I hope we double down on the position. It's just too pricey to find guys who can get to the QB in free agency.

That would be the smart play IMO. Would possibly leave another position unfilled in the draft, but Miami doesn't want to get stuck in the position on not having pass rushers a year or two down the road. Wake is 35 so maybe he has two years left. He's the only elite pass rusher on the team.

It's a great draft for defensive talent. I have 174 players with 5th RD or better grades, and 94 are defensive players.

Takk is interesting. I don't like him as much as you do, but he's in my top 75 overall, so I do think that he'll be a good player. I agree that he could potentially play DE, OLB/Edge, or Off OLB. He has traits that you like for each - speed, length, tenacity/motor. I'm not sure what to expect from him as a pass rusher, though. With his motor, he should grab some clean-up sacks, but his lack of refinement aside (and we definitely have to try to contextualize the shoulder within that), he performed poorly on the jumps and agility drills. It's very possible that the shoulder hampered those performances, but watching him, I thought the tests matched the tape - very fast but not sudden. He's similar to Dante Fowler - just lighter. Fowler went #3 overall. I didn't like it, but Takk will clearly have traits that NFL teams covet. I love watching him. He's as relentless as any player in the draft. With that speed, I do think he has a shot of making it work, but I think he must improve his upper body strength significantly (maybe just the shoulder), and I'm a little worried about how far back his shoulder will set him.

I think Watt and Bowser are the guys at OLB/Edge in this class. They have the rare tools you only see once every 2-3 years. With Watt, the main concern is his knees. With Bowser, I don't think you have any major concerns, but you have less evidence from him that he can play up to his talent. After them, I like Rivers. He has a lot of the same traits - just on a lesser level. But, he is stronger and faster than either, and he was much more productive than either. Rivers is probably a poor fit for Miami, but I'd still consider him at 54.

This is a really weird draft, because Safety and TE are usually very thin groups, and by their standards, they're overflowing with talent this year. I have 11 Safeties in my top 100 - not including Baker and D. King, who I have at Slot. And, after the top 100, there are waves of more solid Safeties.

Appreciate all the quality posts, CK! The board is much better when you're around.

Back
Top Bottom