J-Off's Mocks Based on Consensus Rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's Mocks Based on Consensus Rankings

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
One mock with Tua, one without - this is an exercise in identifying how Miami should start its rebuild, as well as an exercise that identifies undervalued players who fit Miami's schemes. You'll notice that the two mocks are exactly the same outside of Round 1. Of course, it's very early, and some of the players will rise or fall in rankings.

Version 1

1. Tua QB Alabama
1a. Tristan Wirfs OL Iowa
1b. CJ Henderson CB Florida
2. Walker Little OT Stanford
2a. Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma St
3. Jaylon Johnson CB Utah
5. Darnay Holmes CB UCLA
5a. Kylin Hill RB Mississippi St
6. Josh Uche OLB Michigan
6a. Lynn Bowden Jr WR Kentucky
7. Isaiah Hodgins WR Oregon St

Version 2

1. Andrew Thomas OT Georgia
1a. Justin Herbert QB Oregon
1b. Jake Fromm QB Georgia
2. Walker Little OT Stanford
2a. Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma St
3. Jaylon Johnson CB Utah
5. Darnay Holmes CB UCLA
5a. Kylin Hill RB Mississippi St
6. Josh Uche OLB Michigan
6a. Lynn Bowden Jr WR Kentucky
7. Isaiah Hodgins WR Oregon St

If I included Miami's comp picks, Evan Weaver (ranked 87th) would be the pick. Below, I'll post some other players that represent good values for Miami. I'm sure I missed some. The number that precedes the name represents the consensus ranking.

63. Kenny Willekes
77. Anfernee Jennings
82. Alton Robinson
90. Chubba Hubbard
94. Cameron Dantzler
101. Antoine Winfield Jr
103. Tyler Johnson
105. Cam Akers
106. Jonathan Greenard
122. Justin Jefferson
124. Bryan Edwards
151. Mustafa Johnson
156. Christian Rector
170. Zach Moss
174. Khaleke Hudson
175. Ke'Shawn Vaughn
177. AJ Dillon
191. Carter Coughlin

* The site doesn't yet run smoothly for me, but this is an excellent resource, which will become more accurate as we get closer to the Draft. Consensus rankings will likely be more accurate (closer to where the players are actually drafted) than the rankings for any one particular draft site.

I’ll take version 1 with extra pickles, a water, and a side of fries to go please and thank you.

Are there any Defensive ends worth picking up in the middle rounds.

I’ll take version 1 with extra pickles, a water, and a side of fries to go please and thank you.

Are there any Defensive ends worth picking up in the middle rounds.

I prefer the first version (by a LOT), too.

Baylor's James Lynch (not ranked) might be able to slim down to play DE. Christian Rector (listed above), Joe Gaziano, Bradlee Anae, and Marlon Davidson all look like they can play in the NFL. There were just players I liked more, and my focus would be on Offense and the secondary. I'm not worried about taking Miami from really bad to good in one year. There will be holes left after the Draft, and FA will also play a major role. But, I am looking to surround the new QB with as much help as possible, while also building the foundation of the D (the secondary).

One thing to keep in mind when looking at DE's - anything under 260 probably kicks out to OLB for Miami. This scheme likes big DE's that win with their hands - not speed rushers. Again, those guys end up playing OLB, but they actually have to be able to play LB to be more than situational players. They also like long arms.

What do you think of Miami utilizing Christian Wilkins as a DE rather than DT? Is it enough to warrant not picking up an end in this draft? I know they also have Taco to play that spot as well.
And Charles Harris he’s another story.....

I've said it before, I like doubling down on the QB position. Hell, maybe even triple down.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

What do you think of Miami utilizing Christian Wilkins as a DE rather than DT? Is it enough to warrant not picking up an end in this draft? I know they also have Taco to play that spot as well.
And Charles Harris he’s another story.....

I think he can play DE in certain packages, but he's too big/slow to play there fulk time. Taco is a fine rotational DE. I had a 3rd RD grade on him coming out of Michigan, and his career arch is starting to reflect that ranking. Dallas has some pretty good DE's, but I think they made a mistake by cutting him - though, not as big a mistake as drafting him in the 1st.

I'm totally fine with drafting two QB's but I'm not ok with drafting two QB's in the first round. Specially with all the holes we need to fill this coming off season. Of course free agency will go a long way in showing us what we need to do with the draft. And no, it's never too early to talk about the draft when you're a Dolphins fan.

I think if Uche enters the draft he'll sky rocket up to day 2. .. or at least to a round 4 prospect. If he was a bit bigger I could see him being a real high pick but he's small... but in terms of a pure pass rusher he is special

I think if Uche enters the draft he'll sky rocket up to day 2. .. or at least to a round 4 prospect. If he was a bit bigger I could see him being a real high pick but he's small... but in terms of a pure pass rusher he is special

I meant to shout you out in the OP for bringing my attention to Uche. I think you're probably right that he goes earlier than this.

I'm totally fine with drafting two QB's but I'm not ok with drafting two QB's in the first round. Specially with all the holes we need to fill this coming off season. Of course free agency will go a long way in showing us what we need to do with the draft. And no, it's never too early to talk about the draft when you're a Dolphins fan.

My thinking is - and I believe Awsi was the first person on the board to highlight this - that your best shot at hitting on a QB is in the 1st, and after Tua, all of them have a significant chance of falling short of what you want. Most important position, so I'm taking my best swing at it.

Version One is the mock, I'd jump up and down and all around, if it was what actually happened. But I do have several questions. I've read several articles about Wirfs staying in school. He supposedly values his education. What are you hearing? As for Henderson and Johnson, they are the epitome of opposites. Johnson is a physical CB who can tackle, while Henderson specializes in coverage, he doesn't tackle very well. I've read where he avoids it, if neccessary? What's your take?

My thinking is - and I believe Awsi was the first person on the board to highlight this - that your best shot at hitting on a QB is in the 1st, and after Tua, all of them have a significant chance of falling short of what you want. Most important position, so I'm taking my best swing at it.
One question. If you're taking two QB's in the same draft, do you look for two QB's that are similar in style or different?

Awesome job, J-Off!

Question, have you heard anything about the quarterback from Wake Forest? I think his name is Newsome.

One question. If you're taking two QB's in the same draft, do you look for two QB's that are similar in style or different?
Yep, got to get the quarterback right. Not discounting Rosen yet, but I'd still draft one high. If Miami isn't in a position to take Tua, Herbert or Burrow why not take two?

Love has a lit of upside, but not sure he's ready to contribute right away. I like Fromm, but he'll be dinged for not being the athlete some of the others are.

Back
Top Bottom