J-off's Sideways Board For Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

Drew Lock is a 4th rounder?!?!

He's elite dude.

Think you're being sarcastic? :^)

I've come to agree with you about Erik McCoy taking a slight edge on Garrett Bradbury. Although they're both so good I'm not sure it matters.

I def understand why someone would prefer Bradbury, and I won't argue over it too hard.

Drew Lock isn't elite but I do think rating him that low might be a little over-done.

He was #4 in all of FBS in passer efficiency in 2017. They changed offenses. He actually got better, but there was an acclimation period.

First six games of the year he had a 132.5 efficiency rating, which would put him right where Daniel Jones was for the entire year at Duke...down in the 60's among FBS quarterbacks.

Final seven games of the year Lock had a 163.5 efficiency rating, which would've put him right back where he was in 2017 in the Top 10 among FBS quarterbacks.

I've got nits about Lock that resemble some I had about Ryan Tannehill but this is not Ryan Tannehill. This is not Jay Cutler, either. He's been efficient in the SEC, especially if you consider the interruption that typically happens when you change offenses, and then he went to the Senior Bowl and was clearly the best QB there both during the week and during the game.

I'd be tickled to take a shot on this guy in the 2nd round. I'm mostly scared off him in the 1st round because I don't trust anyone but myself to cut bait in a timely fashion and continue investing in the position rather than feeling 'stuck' with a previous investment.

I'm sure Miami will have a deep list overall of players they'd consider at 13 but I would be a bit surprised if the "short list" couldn't be boiled down to DT Ed Oliver, OT Jawaan Taylor, DE Montez Sweat, OL Jonah Williams, DE Rashan Gary, and DT Jeffery Simmons...in that order.

I've had that information for months and I've seen nothing to knock me off it.

I guess they could all be gone, though.

Well done!

Way to put it out there!

Would be interesting to see your WAG on Miami's mock draft...

I just do not see the attraction to Brian Burns. Just a personal opinion.

I think we're looking at another Aaron Maybin, Bruce Irvin, Michael Buchanan, Barkevious Mingo type.

His NFL success will be predicated on how well he transitions to a linebacker position like Manny Lawson of NC State once did. It could happen. It did happen for Lawson, who was a pretty solid Sam linebacker at one point in his career, reliable covering tight ends, etc. Not a very valuable player overall, though, and I'm certainly not spending a high pick on that sort of dice roll with a low ceiling.

I've had solid information on what Burns generally weighed at Florida State when he played there, and trust me it wasn't close to his Combine weight of 249 lbs. Not close.

He's not physical with his hands. I love to shift my focus to the blocker when the defensive player is engaging and see what the blocker's body language is telling me. Clearly Burns has a lot of speed and that can give fat guys with kick slides as shallow as kiddy pools some trouble. But offensive linemen are almost *never* bother bothered by Brian Burns physically when he's engaging with his hands. He just gives this little swipe and then tries to jump-cut around them like he's a scat back. That's not going to work in the NFL. Hell, tight ends are never even bothered by him, physically.

I've seen wide receivers take him out in blocking. But on the occasion he has to pull back and try and cover a wide receiver, he's not close to doing it.

I think Brian Burns is one of the most overrated players in the draft, along with Daniel Jones.

I'm sure Miami will have a deep list overall of players they'd consider at 13 but I would be a bit surprised if the "short list" couldn't be boiled down to DT Ed Oliver, OT Jawaan Taylor, DE Montez Sweat, OL Jonah Williams, DE Rashan Gary, and DT Jeffery Simmons...in that order.

I've had that information for months and I've seen nothing to knock me off it.

I guess they could all be gone, though.

Mentioned it elsewhere, but prioritizing D doesn't make much sense to me from the perspective of team building. Oliver is good enough that I don't care. Sweat, Gary, and Simmons aren't so good/rare that I'm willing to deviate from the plan - build an offense where a young QB has his best chance to develop. I'd be good with Taylor or Williams. Both should be quality pros, but I'd be interested in the reasoning that precludes Dillard and Lindstrom from that grouping.

I think we're looking at another Aaron Maybin, Bruce Irvin, Michael Buchanan, Barkevious Mingo type.

His NFL success will be predicated on how well he transitions to a linebacker position like Manny Lawson of NC State once did. It could happen. It did happen for Lawson, who was a pretty solid Sam linebacker at one point in his career, reliable covering tight ends, etc. Not a very valuable player overall, though, and I'm certainly not spending a high pick on that sort of dice roll with a low ceiling.

I've had solid information on what Burns generally weighed at Florida State when he played there, and trust me it wasn't close to his Combine weight of 249 lbs. Not close.

He's not physical with his hands. I love to shift my focus to the blocker when the defensive player is engaging and see what the blocker's body language is telling me. Clearly Burns has a lot of speed and that can give fat guys with kick slides as shallow as kiddy pools some trouble. But offensive linemen are almost *never* bother bothered by Brian Burns physically when he's engaging with his hands. He just gives this little swipe and then tries to jump-cut around them like he's a scat back. That's not going to work in the NFL. Hell, tight ends are never even bothered by him, physically.

I've seen wide receivers take him out in blocking. But on the occasion he has to pull back and try and cover a wide receiver, he's not close to doing it.

I think Brian Burns is one of the most overrated players in the draft, along with Daniel Jones.

As an FSU fan, it pains me to agree. I feel like I am pretty non-biased with my Noles, although I was beating the drum for Derwin last year, I wouldn't touch Burns in the first this year. It comes down to exactly what you are saying, and us Nole fans have seen it from Burns first year with us, his hand usage is awful. If he doesn't beat you off the first step(which to be fair, he does often), he is completely neutralized. Hes going to get drafted based purely on first step and athletic ability. I can see him being a better version of Lawson though. But it certain is going to take some transition and some hopefulness he picks it up and gets more stout.

I can appreciate that. I see some similarities to Vic Beasley, who I was too high on, but Burns has some things going for him.

1. He has a good frame, and he's among the youngest pass rushers in the class. There's room and time for him to grow.

2. He was a very productive pass rusher at FSU - both in terms of pressure and sack rate.

3. He's a very good/fluid athlete, and he played with good instincts and awareness on the line.

Mentioned it somewhere, but Josh Allen added 20-30 lbs before the 2018 season, when he was the same age as Burns is now. I can see Burns growing in a similar way - if not quite as quickly.

Guys that aren't strong or physical, you can't put extra weight on them and just GIVE them an attribute they don't naturally have. I'd rather give weight and muscle to a guy who is already strong and physical, or take weight off a guy who is already fast and agile. One exercise threatens to take their best attributes and make them mediocre. The other threatens to take their best attributes and make them special.

Brian Burns is not for me. Probably not until Day 3.

I agree that Burns is overrated if the projection is 1st round. I think he's a day 2 player that needs to stay at his real playing weight and play linebacker. I thought he looked the best at the combine in the space and coverage drills.

I think he can be a De'Vondre Campbell type in the right defense.

I agree that Burns is overrated if the projection is 1st round. I think he's a day 2 player that needs to stay at his real playing weight and play linebacker. I thought he looked the best at the combine in the space and coverage drills.

I think he can be a De'Vondre Campbell type in the right defense.

That's a very good comparison actually. Kudos.

If cks list is correct then I’m expecting Jonah Williams to be a dolphin.

I think I might struggle with the safe consistent technique play choice over the upside and scheme fit of a Rashan Gary for a minute should both be there. Assuming I’m getting the 17 version of Gary.

Dolphins are looking at Joey Alfieri of Stanford now.

Put it together with their explicit interest in Kaden Elliss, Jahlani Tavai, Justin Hollins, Sione Takitaki, Sutton Smith, and Terrill Hanks...there's definitely a 'type' being established here. Maybe throw D'Andre Walker in there. Maybe Jachai Polite. Maybe Ben Banogu?

Basically, it is what we'd think it is.

Back
Top Bottom