J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by j-off-her-doll, Apr 14, 2019.

1. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

4th-7th is a combination of finding guys who slipped through the cracks, and being right about it often enough, and first dibs on UDFA's. The NFL hits on something like 50% of 1st Round picks, so there's room for growth even at the premium spots.

LargoFin and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  2. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I hope they keep the 7 rounds. I remember when it used to be 12 and yes, that was a bit much but I think 7 is fine. This is not the NBA where you only have 12/13 players on your team. If there was only 3 rounds then the UDFA's thing would be a huge mess. Plenty of good players get drafted every year on day 3.

3. j-off-her-doll

I agree. All of it is fun to me.

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I’m really hoping it’s not a right tackle at 13. I don’t mind Jonah Williams there even though I thought his game vs Ferrell in tbe national champ game Ferrell got the best of him and I don’t mean when the game was already decided. It just wouldn’t surprise me if Miami drafted him as a starting left guard. Center might be a little bit of projection with regards to can he set protections etc.

I’m also not firmly in the Jesse Davis is a starting right tackle in this league either. Right guard looks right to me he just may be maxed out. It sure looked like he may have reached his ceiling in 2018.

5. "FitzMagic"

"FitzMagic" Well-Known Member

I always respect your stuff, thanks for the answers. I love Wilkins but I get your point on the other three prospects I pointed out.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  6. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator

If Taylor is still there, I would have to think hard about passing on him for a DL, but I say no way he gets past Jax.

Im still thinking D, again you can make and argument its just as a gapping hole, who do we have on the edge? They haven't even sniffed in FA on the DL, they have on the OL.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

When I look at our current roster we have 7 DT’s which includes 2 NT type that we just signed so I can’t see us picking up another DT in the draft outside of some elite talent dropping to us.

We only have 3 DE’s on our roster and they are all of the 3-4 type, none are that impressive at this stage although it’s possible that some of the DT’s could flex out there.

We only have 3 Edge Rushers, Harris and the 2 AAF guys.

We are also currently carrying 9 LB’s and 11 CB’s.

To me our offseason moves point toward a 3-4 Defense.

Based on our current roster we have basically nothing at RT, DE (5T) and not much at the Edge although the two AAF guys are very intriguing.

Draft wise I believe we would fill those 3 holes in the first 3 rounds based on who is available at what spots.

Additionally we have 4 Guards and two Centers. My guess is they like the new guy Reed and Davis so I don’t see a Guard early. We have only met with 1 Center in pre draft visits (Gaillard) and he can be had later.

Now they most likely go and do the complete opposite!

Albert Romano likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I keep meaning to look at Alex Barnes because I know you love him so much.

9. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Well-Known Member

good stuff.

who do you like better at 13: Lindstrom, McCoy or Burns?

10. j-off-her-doll

He's not immediately spectacular or anything. I just think he does everything well. Before the Combine, I said he reminded me some of Arian Foster and James Conner. Good vision and size, doesn't waste time, good receiver, shows some quickness - def enough. He's just the kind of guy that people tend to underrate imo.

11. j-off-her-doll

Thanks! For Miami: Lindstrom > McCoy > Burns

cullenbigcstill and HeavenCent like this.
  12. ckparrothead

I see what you mean. I suspect you like him because he seems an idiosyncratic fit for the new coaching staff's style?

Good receiving skills, good feel for the crease on zone blocking plays, excellent patience on pin and pull plays, and strong experience/trustworthiness in the red zone (operating the Wildcat) seems like the combination that would click the tumblers in a Chad O'Shea/Josh McDaniels/Bill O'Brien offense. Particularly O'Shea, since he was always in charge of Red Zone offense in New England, and so that particular area is likely to be a bit of a pet of his (and probably the reason Kenneth Farrow is here).

They seem like they can forgive a guy having a 4.59 forty, not breaking a whole lot of tackles, etc.

13. j-off-her-doll

I appreciate that, and MP! Wilkins has always been a player I've wanted to like more than I've been able to. I think he and Lawrence have arguments to join the Top 40 group, and I have until next Thursday to change my mind :^)

14. ckparrothead

Always happens to me

I craft a list of my favorite players that I want to target relative to market pricing, spanning a full range of rounds from 1st round to 7th round to UDFA.

And then they all go Top 100.

Gil Brandt released his "Hot 150". He's got his ear to the teams as much as anyone out there. He's got guys that other draft rags were not giving much love, e.g. Nate Davis, Chuma Edoga, Cody Barton, Jalen Hurd, Kahale Warring, and Jahlani Tavai...all in his Top 100. He's got Easton Stick and Hjalte Froholdt, two guys I also like for late rounds, in his Top 150.

Although curiously, he's left Yodny Cajuste, Charles Omenihu, and Christian Miller out of his Top 150 altogether.

15. j-off-her-doll

Omenihu outside the Top 150 is pretty wild, because he's an obvious fit as a 4/5-tech. Unless an OL or DB falls, I'd have a hard time finding a better value in the 3rd.