J-off's Sideways Board For Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

That's good, that's your top 108-110 players. That's 3 rounds, day 1 and day 2. Out of those, about 2/3 or 70 players are listed as day 1 or day 2, which means Miami will should pick 3, having 3 picks on day 1 and 2, from those 70. Which ones?

This also leaves 4 picks to spend on the remaining field of players on day 3. This brings to light the fact that it is easy to pick day 1 and day 2, and difficult to pick on day 3. There aren't players left on the big board.
NFL should just do away with day 3 of the draft.

4th-7th is a combination of finding guys who slipped through the cracks, and being right about it often enough, and first dibs on UDFA's. The NFL hits on something like 50% of 1st Round picks, so there's room for growth even at the premium spots.

I hope they keep the 7 rounds. I remember when it used to be 12 and yes, that was a bit much but I think 7 is fine. This is not the NBA where you only have 12/13 players on your team. If there was only 3 rounds then the UDFA's thing would be a huge mess. Plenty of good players get drafted every year on day 3.

I hope they keep the 7 rounds. I remember when it used to be 12 and yes, that was a bit much but I think 7 is fine. This is not the NBA where you only have 12/13 players on your team. If there was only 3 rounds then the UDFA's thing would be a huge mess. Plenty of good players get drafted every year on day 3.

I agree. All of it is fun to me.

Personally I think it’s Right Tackle at 13 if either Taylor or Williams are there.

We only have 3 tackles on the current depth chart, one of them came from the AAF and the other is Sterup, not sure which is worse.

It is a glaring, gaping hole that needs to be filled.

I’m really hoping it’s not a right tackle at 13. I don’t mind Jonah Williams there even though I thought his game vs Ferrell in tbe national champ game Ferrell got the best of him and I don’t mean when the game was already decided. It just wouldn’t surprise me if Miami drafted him as a starting left guard. Center might be a little bit of projection with regards to can he set protections etc.

I’m also not firmly in the Jesse Davis is a starting right tackle in this league either. Right guard looks right to me he just may be maxed out. It sure looked like he may have reached his ceiling in 2018.

Thank you!

Appreciate the questions. I'm lower on those players than most. Irv Smith Jr is pretty good - have him as a fringe Day 2 player. But, he's small for the position and not very athletic. The hope is that he's Jordan Reed (minus the injuries), but imo it's more likely that he ends up being a rotational TE in the NFL. Miami in particular needs a TE to pair with Gesicki, which means it needs a guy who can thrive attached to the line. The TE's ahead of him are either better blockers and better athletes or better athletes with frames more conducive to playing on the line. Back in October or November, Slimm pointed out Hockenson and Moreau as the types of TE's Miami should be targeting, and, as usual, he nailed it.

Wilkins is good, too. As I mentioned in the notes, defensive players take a hit, because Miami needs to build the OL and add some weapons for the 2020 QB. The DT's (only 4) listed ahead of Wilkins are more dynamic and project as players who will have a greater impact on opposing QB's.

Jacobs has a well-rounded game, but I'm always skeptical of players who were never "the guy" in college. Kamara was so dynamic, and such a good receiver, that he was undeniable, but I don't see that in Jacobs. I see a guy who will do everything well and nothing great. There's value in that, and I could rank him as high as RB3 without doubting it too hard, but iirc, Jacobs posted 1 rush over 20 yards in 2018. I prefer the breakaway ability of guys like Hill, Johnson, and Sanders.

Greedy has a case for CB1, but I doubt he's what Miami wants in a CB. During Flores' last few years in NE, they have favored thickness over length, and tackling has always been very important to BB. I have to imagine that it's important to Flores, too. Greedy is both thin and an inconsistent tackler.

I always respect your stuff, thanks for the answers. I love Wilkins but I get your point on the other three prospects I pointed out.

Personally I think it’s Right Tackle at 13 if either Taylor or Williams are there.

We only have 3 tackles on the current depth chart, one of them came from the AAF and the other is Sterup, not sure which is worse.

It is a glaring, gaping hole that needs to be filled.

If Taylor is still there, I would have to think hard about passing on him for a DL, but I say no way he gets past Jax.

Im still thinking D, again you can make and argument its just as a gapping hole, who do we have on the edge? They haven't even sniffed in FA on the DL, they have on the OL.

If Taylor is still there, I would have to think hard about passing on him for a DL, but I say no way he gets past Jax.

Im still thinking D, again you can make and argument its just as a gapping hole, who do we have on the edge? They haven't even sniffed in FA on the DL, they have on the OL.

When I look at our current roster we have 7 DT’s which includes 2 NT type that we just signed so I can’t see us picking up another DT in the draft outside of some elite talent dropping to us.

We only have 3 DE’s on our roster and they are all of the 3-4 type, none are that impressive at this stage although it’s possible that some of the DT’s could flex out there.

We only have 3 Edge Rushers, Harris and the 2 AAF guys.

We are also currently carrying 9 LB’s and 11 CB’s.

To me our offseason moves point toward a 3-4 Defense.

Based on our current roster we have basically nothing at RT, DE (5T) and not much at the Edge although the two AAF guys are very intriguing.

Draft wise I believe we would fill those 3 holes in the first 3 rounds based on who is available at what spots.

Additionally we have 4 Guards and two Centers. My guess is they like the new guy Reed and Davis so I don’t see a Guard early. We have only met with 1 Center in pre draft visits (Gaillard) and he can be had later.

Now they most likely go and do the complete opposite!

I keep meaning to look at Alex Barnes because I know you love him so much.

He's not immediately spectacular or anything. I just think he does everything well. Before the Combine, I said he reminded me some of Arian Foster and James Conner. Good vision and size, doesn't waste time, good receiver, shows some quickness - def enough. He's just the kind of guy that people tend to underrate imo.

He's not immediately spectacular or anything. I just think he does everything well. Before the Combine, I said he reminded me some of Arian Foster and James Conner. Good vision and size, doesn't waste time, good receiver, shows some quickness - def enough. He's just the kind of guy that people tend to underrate imo.

I see what you mean. I suspect you like him because he seems an idiosyncratic fit for the new coaching staff's style?

Good receiving skills, good feel for the crease on zone blocking plays, excellent patience on pin and pull plays, and strong experience/trustworthiness in the red zone (operating the Wildcat) seems like the combination that would click the tumblers in a Chad O'Shea/Josh McDaniels/Bill O'Brien offense. Particularly O'Shea, since he was always in charge of Red Zone offense in New England, and so that particular area is likely to be a bit of a pet of his (and probably the reason Kenneth Farrow is here).

They seem like they can forgive a guy having a 4.59 forty, not breaking a whole lot of tackles, etc.

I always respect your stuff, thanks for the answers. I love Wilkins but I get your point on the other three prospects I pointed out.

I appreciate that, and MP! Wilkins has always been a player I've wanted to like more than I've been able to. I think he and Lawrence have arguments to join the Top 40 group, and I have until next Thursday to change my mind :^)

Always happens to me

I craft a list of my favorite players that I want to target relative to market pricing, spanning a full range of rounds from 1st round to 7th round to UDFA.

And then they all go Top 100.

Gil Brandt released his "Hot 150". He's got his ear to the teams as much as anyone out there. He's got guys that other draft rags were not giving much love, e.g. Nate Davis, Chuma Edoga, Cody Barton, Jalen Hurd, Kahale Warring, and Jahlani Tavai...all in his Top 100. He's got Easton Stick and Hjalte Froholdt, two guys I also like for late rounds, in his Top 150.

Although curiously, he's left Yodny Cajuste, Charles Omenihu, and Christian Miller out of his Top 150 altogether.

Always happens to me

I craft a list of my favorite players that I want to target relative to market pricing, spanning a full range of rounds from 1st round to 7th round to UDFA.

And then they all go Top 100.

Gil Brandt released his "Hot 150". He's got his ear to the teams as much as anyone out there. He's got guys that other draft rags were not giving much love, e.g. Nate Davis, Chuma Edoga, Cody Barton, Jalen Hurd, Kahale Warring, and Jahlani Tavai...all in his Top 100. He's got Easton Stick and Hjalte Froholdt, two guys I also like for late rounds, in his Top 150.

Although curiously, he's left Yodny Cajuste, Charles Omenihu, and Christian Miller out of his Top 150 altogether.

Omenihu outside the Top 150 is pretty wild, because he's an obvious fit as a 4/5-tech. Unless an OL or DB falls, I'd have a hard time finding a better value in the 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom