J-off's Sideways Board For Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

Always happens to me

I craft a list of my favorite players that I want to target relative to market pricing, spanning a full range of rounds from 1st round to 7th round to UDFA.

And then they all go Top 100.

Gil Brandt released his "Hot 150". He's got his ear to the teams as much as anyone out there. He's got guys that other draft rags were not giving much love, e.g. Nate Davis, Chuma Edoga, Cody Barton, Jalen Hurd, Kahale Warring, and Jahlani Tavai...all in his Top 100. He's got Easton Stick and Hjalte Froholdt, two guys I also like for late rounds, in his Top 150.

Although curiously, he's left Yodny Cajuste, Charles Omenihu, and Christian Miller out of his Top 150 altogether.

Man, i saw Omenihu's stats and watched his snaps, and was just so completely underwhelmed. I couldn't see him in the top 3 rounds like some people have said.

Personally I think it’s Right Tackle at 13 if either Taylor or Williams are there.

We only have 3 tackles on the current depth chart, one of them came from the AAF and the other is Sterup, not sure which is worse.

It is a glaring, gaping hole that needs to be filled.
I hint Jacksonville has their eyes set to take taylor

Man, i saw Omenihu's stats and watched his snaps, and was just so completely underwhelmed. I couldn't see him in the top 3 rounds like some people have said.

His production steadily climbed during his college career and last season he had 9.5 sacks and 18 TFL ... not too shabby.

I'd be halfway surprised if he was still there with our 2nd rounder and downright floored if he's still there in the 3rd.

If I knew I could get both him and Nelson in the 2nd and 3rd (or better yet ... 3rd and 4th), I'd be more than okay with going oline in the 1st.

I see what you mean. I suspect you like him because he seems an idiosyncratic fit for the new coaching staff's style?

Good receiving skills, good feel for the crease on zone blocking plays, excellent patience on pin and pull plays, and strong experience/trustworthiness in the red zone (operating the Wildcat) seems like the combination that would click the tumblers in a Chad O'Shea/Josh McDaniels/Bill O'Brien offense. Particularly O'Shea, since he was always in charge of Red Zone offense in New England, and so that particular area is likely to be a bit of a pet of his (and probably the reason Kenneth Farrow is here).

They seem like they can forgive a guy having a 4.59 forty, not breaking a whole lot of tackles, etc.

Vision, versatility (particularly pass catching), speed, and tackle breaking are the main things I value in a RB. Barnes isn't fast, but I think that's likely to be somewhat offset by his overall athleticism given his vision and versatility. Foster and Conner were both 4.6+ guys. His contact balance is less than ideal, but I think it's probably better than people give him credit. He had to make a lot of his own yards, and that's not as conducive to his running style, but he was still by far the most dominant and efficient weapon on his team. For me, Darrell Henderson comes closest to checking all the boxes, but Barnes is next. For a team that needs a RB that won't tip off the play call (can run and catch) and won't leave yards on the field, Barnes makes a lot of sense.

Did you drop J Simmons for the injury, and, if so, where would he rank if no injury?

Yes - would have been Top 20.

His production steadily climbed during his college career and last season he had 9.5 sacks and 18 TFL ... not too shabby.

I'd be halfway surprised if he was still there with our 2nd rounder and downright floored if he's still there in the 3rd.

If I knew I could get both him and Nelson in the 2nd and 3rd (or better yet ... 3rd and 4th), I'd be more than okay with going oline in the 1st.

Yea I meant I was underwhelmed with his tape, based on how productive he was last year.

While this board is specific to Miami, I took some time to rank WR's for each team (just posting AFC) - based on what each offense needs and likes to do. I won't bother listing Miami since it's already posted.

AFC East (felt the needs were similar for each team/for different reasons), so they all have the same rankings as Miami (Harry, Brown, Isabella, Metcalf, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside)

CLE - Metcalf, Isabella, Butler, Harry, Brown, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (don't need a receiver to absorb a lot of volume)
CIN - Metcalf, Isabella, Harry, Brown, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Brown, Morgan Jr, Arcega-Whiteside (similar situation to CLE except not quite as good, and AJ Green may be on falling back to earth)
BAL - Metcalf, Harry, Brown, Isabella, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (weird situation, but BAL should look for big plays and big bodies at WR because of Jackson's inaccuracy)
PIT - Metcalf, Isabella, Butler, Harry, Brown, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Arcega-Whiteside, Brown (think Harry and AJ Brown have similar profiles/usages to JuJu)

IND - Harry, Brown, Metcalf, Isabella, Butler, Samuel, Hall, Morgan Jr, Arcega-Whiteside, Brown (don't want redundancy with Hilton but pretty wide open otherwise)
TEN - Metcalf, Isabella, Harry, Brown, Hall, Butler, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (big-play complements to Corey Davis and who suit what Mariota can do)
HOU - Isabella, Metcalf, Harry, Brown, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (if Fuller could stay healthy, this list would look different)
JAX - Harry, Brown, Isabella, Metcalf, Butler, Samuel, Hall, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside

KC - Metcalf, Isabella, Harry, Brown, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (low-volume, big-play WR's and potential Hill replacements)
LAC - Isabella, Harry, Brown, Metcalf, Butler, Hall, Samuel, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (weird one - have Allen and Williams and Henry, but two of the three have struggled with injuries)
OAK - Harry, Brown, Isabella, Metcalf, Butler, Samuel, Hall, Morgan Jr, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside (emphasis on guys who can catch short passes and make plays - also JuJu-like complements for Brown)

It's interesting to me how much higher I am on Terry McLaurin than most other people.

I mean yes, in that college offense it was Parris Campbell who was given a whole lot of work because he was basically the extension of the running game guy that makes things easier on the quarterback and tests whether the defense even has the right to play on the same field as a team that recruits like Ohio State does. I get that.

But the NFL is a little bit different than that. And as I read through the scouts' comments about the various wide receivers in the top 10 or so, it always keeps striking me whether this is a player that FITS what he's going to have to be at the next level. Terry McLaurin fits a perfect archetype that plays in the NFL. He's got the speed, he's got the build, he's got the receiver skills. He cuts on a dime, he can run after the catch. He catches the football just fine with the defender crowding him physically. Good blocker. Doesn't drop passes.

He went to the Senior Bowl and nobody could stay with him. He had the highest win rate and grade versus press coverage of any wide receiver out there.

And he did that after averaging 14.3 yards per target at Ohio State this year. You know how insane that is?

For a guy that measures out 6'0" & 208 lbs to be a 4.35 speedster with all the agility and jump measures you could want supporting that speed, to boast a complete game in addition to being a speed merchant, to have a ludicrous 14 yards per target average, and then to go on to be THE swinging dick at the Senior Bowl...and then end up rated a 3rd or 4th rounder by people...that's not something I understand.

I think Hakeem Butler is the most attractive wide receiver in this draft but I don't think Terry McLaurin is all that far behind. He's a guy that I feel like I could count on. He's not a projection. He just is what he is, and he's going to be a productive, starter level wide receiver in the NFL.

It's interesting to me how much higher I am on Terry McLaurin than most other people.

I mean yes, in that college offense it was Parris Campbell who was given a whole lot of work because he was basically the extension of the running game guy that makes things easier on the quarterback and tests whether the defense even has the right to play on the same field as a team that recruits like Ohio State does. I get that.

But the NFL is a little bit different than that. And as I read through the scouts' comments about the various wide receivers in the top 10 or so, it always keeps striking me whether this is a player that FITS what he's going to have to be at the next level. Terry McLaurin fits a perfect archetype that plays in the NFL. He's got the speed, he's got the build, he's got the receiver skills. He cuts on a dime, he can run after the catch. He catches the football just fine with the defender crowding him physically. GREAT blocker. Doesn't drop passes.

He went to the Senior Bowl and nobody could stay with him. He had the highest win rate and grade versus press coverage of any wide receiver out there.

And he did that after averaging 14.3 yards per target at Ohio State this year. You know how insane that is?

For a guy that measures out 6'0" & 208 lbs to be a 4.35 speedster with all the agility and jump measures you could want supporting that speed, to boast a complete game in addition to being a speed merchant, to have a ludicrous 14 yards per target average, and then to go on to be THE swinging dick at the Senior Bowl...and then end up rated a 3rd or 4th rounder by people...that's not something I understand.

I think Hakeem Butler is the most attractive wide receiver in this draft but I don't think Terry McLaurin is all that far behind. He's a guy that I feel like I could count on. He's not a projection. He just is what he is, and he's going to be a productive, starter level wide receiver in the NFL.

Fixed it for ya

Fan of him, not as high as you are, but he’s elite tier blocking receiver

Back
Top Bottom