J-off's Sideways Board For Miami | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

Have him as CB6 and in the first group of CB's. He has more work to do than any other player in that group, but his instincts, ball skills, length, athleticism, and physicality are appealing to me.

I did forget Rock Ya-Sin, though. He should be listed.
With him only playing corner for 2 yrs, I'd like to see where he would be 3 yrs from now. Cant be any worse than Tankersley, if were talking about ability coming into the draft. I think all things considered, Layne has the biggest upside at corner in the draft. He already does a great job using basketball tactics boxing out jump balls. So, if he became an all around player, as far as play recognition and technique having him and Xavien would take the air-game on the outside to non-existent.

But, thanks for responding!

As the groupings indicate, separating these CB's largely comes down to preference, and that could cause some to fall further than they should. Something to monitor.

As the groupings indicate, separating these CB's largely comes down to preference, and that could cause some to fall further than they should. Something to monitor.

In addition to the CB's, I think teams are going to vary widely on the RB's and WR's too. And to some extent the Safeties.

They're the 4 groups I had the most difficulty in deciding precisely how I wanted these players ranked all year.

In addition to the CB's, I think teams are going to vary widely on the RB's and WR's too. And to some extent the Safeties.

They're the 4 groups I had the most difficulty in deciding precisely how I wanted these players ranked all year.

Totally agree, Slimm. I think the WR and CB's groups are solid and have players that will look like obvious values in hindsight, but those players will be the ones that end up in near-ideal situations to suit their talents. The RB group is weaker, but I like the late-round role players - some fast guys who can catch and give an OC a lot to work with - thinking of Hill (could go 3rd/4th? - would be too early for me) and Ty Johnson.

But with the WR's and CB's at the top, all of them carry some concern and/or limit to their potential. It's just about how much their future situations accentuate the positives and limit the negatives - excluding injury and off-field concerns (seems like a good group of young men overall).

Didn't address Safety, but that's a good call, too. I'm really high on Savage, Thornhill, and Gardner-Johnson for their ability to cover and contribute from multiple alignments, but the Safety you prefer will likely be determined by the role you have in mind.

I feel like this class is really good in the 2nd-4th range and just pretty good at the top. Maybe it's me having less time to dig this year, but it feels like the drop off after the top 125 or so players is sharper than normal.

I'll try to keep this updated for as many picks as I can. Lots of head-scratchers on Day 1.

1. Arizona - Kyler Murray - excellent pick. Upgrade the most important position with one one the most talented prospects of the decade.
2. SF - Nick Bosa - not as high on Bosa as most, and SF really thinks it's making moves by adding another DL prospect? If he can stay healthy and off of Stormfront, he should alright.
3. NYJ - Quinnen Williams - OL and WR are the big needs, but Williams is the best non-QB in the class. Thankfully, the Jets are a mess, and Williams individual excellence will only matter so much.
4. Oakland - Clelin Ferrell - big reach. Solid player, liked him back when he was a RS Freshman, but he appears to lack the juice needed to be a high-end Pass Rusher. Poor start for Mayock.
5. TB - Devin White - elite athlete, great player. Very early to select an Off Ball LB given their other needs, but he fits a need and brings CB speed to the LB position. The money doesn't work out very well for TB.
6. NYG - Daniel Jones - LOL!
7. Jacksonville - Josh Allen - not the unit that needs help, but Allen brings elite instincts and intelligence to a Defense that needs to be elite for them to have any shot at the playoffs.
8. Detroit - TJ Hockenson - good all-around player, but he'll need to develop much quicker than most 1st RD TE's (and TE's in general) to justify the pick.
9. Buffalo - Ed Oliver - rare talent, excellent value, and he'll pair great with Harrison Phillips. Common theme throughout the Top 10, though, Defense isn't the reason Buffalo has been bad.
10. PIT (from Denver) - Devin Bush - they needed speed at LB, and Bush is a great prospect. Trading up for an Off Ball LB is hard to justify from a value standpoint, but if he can be a Ryan Shazier, he'll be worth it - big If.
11. Cincinnati - Jonah Williams - good player, and Cincinnati badly needed OL help. While his athleticism limits his upside at OT, he combines elite intelligence and technical skill (particularly for his age).
12. GB - Rashan Gary - lots of depth at DE for GB, which is good, but the Offense needs help, and Gary comes with his fair share of risk.
13. Miami - Christian Wilkins - solid DT, great locker-room presence, horrible start for the Flores-Grier combo. Does Wilkins help the future QB? No. Is Wilkins an elite talent, one that's just too good to bypass? No. From a team-building perspective, I hate this pick.
14. Atlanta - Chris Lindstrom - fantastic OL with elite athleticism. When Atlanta had the best Offense in the NFL, their OL was one of the 2-3 best in the league.
15. Washington - Dwayne Haskins - solid value for a promising prospect. I worry if the situation is good enough for him, and there will be pressure to play him early.
16. Carolina - Brian Burns - I like Burns more than many here, but the fit is very strange, and OT was the more pressing need. Andre Dillard is a better prospect and fit.

Love your thoughts.

I tend to look at these things and ask primarily, did you get a really good player at a valuable position?

On that basis, while I understand the criticism about Oakland taking Clelin Ferrell, I can at least say that this is a high quality player at a position that is really valuable at the NFL level. You look what just got traded for Frank Clark, and the contract he got, these 4-3 defensive ends who have power and length, and who aren't just outside speed, they're really valuable. As Bill Belichick says, the most useless place to be on the football field is two yards behind the quarterback. Which is why I would absolutely pan the Brian Burns pick much more than I would the Clelin Ferrell pick.

For Detroit, Hockenson needs to be the next Rob Gronkowski in order to really justify that pick...and I don't see that. If he's the next Hunter Henry, who is a player I like a lot, then this won't have been a successful pick. That's the problem with it.

Daniel Jones is too obvious. As you said, one word describes it.

I don't rate Chris Lindstrom the way others do and I think the Falcons really reached for him. He's a right guard only and he gets beat quite a bit. I just don't see it.

Dwayne Haskins looked like he ate Joe Theisman when he put on that Redskins hat. I don't trust the guy to stay in shape. He was slim in 2017, got fatter (and slower) in 2018, came to the Combine chubby and slow, starved himself into a better physique in time for his pro day, which showed when he couldn't get through 5 minutes of it without doubling over like he'd run a marathon, and now that the pro day has been done he looks like he's been on a doughnut diet for a month. The trend is BAD and this is something the Redskins are going to struggle with him going forward.

The 13 pick for Miami was not a reach, IMO.

There was one player that I thought would've been a decidedly better pick, and will be a better football player from 2020 and beyond. But every team, every person, gets to make the choice whether they want to put their name next to that player's past and the video that still circulates to this day. When he was taken, the first thing ESPN did was launch into a massive segment covering everything about the video and his past, and his torn ACL was almost an afterthought.

I was RAGING for the Dolphins to take Jeffery Simmons a few days ago. But two things came up very recently that I didn't realize that give me pause. The first is that apparently there's a torn meniscus in addition to the torn ACL, and that it is expected to delay his full recovery. If he redshirts in 2019, it won't matter. But torn meniscus could present its own issues entirely separate of the ACL. Recall that meniscus problems are what knocked Myles Jack into the 2nd round as it was rumored he had a hole in his cartilage from the meniscus tear. The second thing that gave me pause was that Simmons had shoulder surgery last year. So this is a player that is no stranger to injuries and yeah, that's a little bit of a concern.

Would've still been my pick. But I can see the choice to go in Wilkins' direction instead.

I think Christian Wilkins is a terrific player. I haven't watched a single game of Clemson's whether I'm trying to watch Clelin Ferrell, Dexter Lawrence, Trayvon Mullen, Tre Lamar, etc...where my eyes weren't naturally drawn many times to the havoc that #42 was causing in the middle. He was the best defensive lineman on an incredible defensive line.

And he just happens to be an A+ locker room presence as well. I love the story about how a teammate failed a drug test and his reaction was ask his room number to be reassigned to room with the player so that he could keep watch over him and keep him on the straight and narrow. That's the kind of locker room presence you're getting.

Once you got beyond a certain point in the upper stages of this draft it was six of one, half dozen of the other. So I don't see strong feelings about the Wilkins pick.

I hope Wilkins can play DE in base and kick inside for sub. That would make him much more attractive. Tough value to take a penetrating 3T for a defense that is expected to ask the DTs to play two-gap a lot.

Obviously, he is a pick that is easy to leave due to his character. Red flags would be age and the fact that he played on a stacked DL with an absolute monster at 0 next to him.

For me, his career will always be compared to both Haskins and Simmons (unless the Fins trade for Rosen).

Pick makes sense to me as we fill a huge hole. I agree we need oline help but for value will be found in the later rounds today.

Grier has always struck me as a safe drafter. That's just what he is. He wants to minimize risk and have easy press conferences when explaining why he took a player. He just doesn't want to hear difficult questions.

I agree, I don't really see how you could have any strong feelings towards the Wilkins pick. It was a fair pick. Would I probably have taken Bradbury or Simmons or Sweat? Probably. I had them all rated fairly similar in addition to Wilkins. It just boils to down to what your philosophy was in how you wanted to start the rebuild. You had two options - start with defensive line or offensive line. Either was a legitimate start.

I probably would have slightly favored Garrett Bradbury if I was making the pick. That's probably the pick I would've made there.

But, you folks get Wilkins. They chose to start with the defensive line. However, it's what they're able to do in regards to addressing the IOL today that determines how good of a pick the Wilkins pick really was in my opinion.

Grier has always struck me as a safe drafter. That's just what he is. He wants to minimize risk and have easy press conferences when explaining why he took a player. He just doesn't want to hear difficult questions.

I agree, I don't really see how you could have any strong feelings towards the Wilkins pick. It was a fair pick. Would I probably have taken Bradbury or Simmons or Sweat? Probably. I had them all rated fairly similar in addition to Wilkins. It just boils to down to what your philosophy was in how you wanted to start the rebuild. You had two options - start with defensive line or offensive line. Either was a legitimate start.

I probably would have slightly favored Garrett Bradbury if I was making the pick. That's probably the pick I would've made there.

But, you folks get Wilkins. They chose to start with the defensive line. However, it's what they're able to do in regards to addressing the IOL today that determines how good of a pick the Wilkins pick really was in my opinion.

If we were to take Bradbury in the 1st, who would target today?

@TedSlimmJr

Interesting take on Grier RE: "safe"

In R1 I actually think that's a positive trait -- you have to HIT the pick and
avoid striking out as much as possible. It may not be flash + sexy but
we need to make our picks count (in terms of TEAM contribution) as
much as possible IMO. If that means we tend towards the "safer" pick
I'm OK with that.

Certainly by the time R3 R4 rolls around we can get a tad more speculative
and make choices more on projected upside than proven dependability...

Just my .02.

If we were to take Bradbury in the 1st, who would target today?

Same one's:

Jawaan Taylor
Deebo Samuel
A.J. Brown
Erik McCoy
Dalton Risner
Byron Murphy
Cody Ford
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Amani Hooker
Anthony Nelson
Grabby Williams