Jabrill Peppers Master Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jabrill Peppers Master Thread

Miami's safety play is largely interchangeable, He would probably rank 3rd safety in this draft and him and Reshad would be teammates in hawaii.

Interesting take that the Michigan scheme suppressed him. From a man coverage standpoint

Interesting take that the Michigan scheme suppressed him. From a man coverage standpoint

He's not wrong that Michigan is a blitz happy team (Don Brown is called Dr. Blitz), and Michigan does blitz an insane amount. But Peppers played the VIPER position which is a combo Weakside LB/SS role (and Khaleke Hudson of similar build is the replacement). But yes Michigan really lacked athleticism in the LB corp (and this was also magnified the year before with DJ Durkin as DC when the LBs would be asked to do anything that involved lateral movement). If you want to see Peppers in coverage look up his 2015 film where he was Michigan's designated slot player.

Imagine someone of Pepper's athleticism an football IQ filling the role of Michael Thomas/Bacarri Rambo/Bobby Mcaain all tried to fill.

If Peppers gets past Baltimore don't be surprised if Miami picks him.

I was sold after the college football season and then I wavered when I saw the talent available in this draft. Now I'm back on the Peppers train! He would help our defense based on flexibility just this season by filling in for McDonald while he sits out his suspension and could still stay on the field in nickel all the rest of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppers's best attribute is essentially being used against him. Not having focused on one position has put him behind the 8-ball in the scouting world.

At the end of the day though, I think NFL exec's see his versatility and he could go a lot higher than analysts are having him pegged at.

Tennesse at 18 seems like a great spot for him.

I'll take him, although I love our return capabilities already with Drake and Grant doesn't hurt to have more fire power.

[video=youtube;pW4HK4HXEi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4HK4HXEi0[/video]

Since this is draft week I figured this was OK to put in the main forum.

I'm not pounding the table for peppers at 22, but I think this explains his value as a player

I'm pounding the table for Peppers. I just think he's too talented. My eyes seen an ultra versatile dude that can play safety, slot corner, or LBer.

Smaller faster Lbers are much needed when versing the Patriots and in today's NFL. I know people don't agree but the guy could be a top 10 pick.

He and Lamp are "pure football players" that I think our FO would be very interested in. Peppers is an athletic freak.

I can just see him being a playmaker on the Steelers or Pats. They'll both find a way to use him so why not us?

Don't understand posts like this at all. He is very clearly a first round talent and if he goes to a smart team like Seattle or the Ravens? He will be an all pro

YUP!!! I think we can use this player in multiple ways which increases his value even more IMO.

I know people say "well he's just a return man". No, that's just one of the many traits this guy exhibits. He was a heisman finalist. That doesn't come easy as a defender.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 10 or 32nd (nightmare for us).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not too many things worse than trying to make a combine warrior into something he is not. The dude picks and chooses what he wants to highlight while completing glossing over, or neglecting to address altogether, the player's weaknesses. Not to mention the simple "edge protector" label he is given here is a fluff piece of Pepper's responsibility in Don Brown's defense.

For the evaluator's credibility, just check out his next episode featuring Cunningham the "tackling machine" and his admiration for his form :lol:

You ever thought of doing tape breakdowns? I'd be curious to see your version of assessment against the video posted

Lucky for us the Pats are out of the Peppers sweepstakes because of their trade for Brandin Cooks

Lucky for us the Pats are out of the Peppers sweepstakes because of their trade for Brandin Cooks

Unless the saints trade for Butler but I can't see that

i would want to know, hopefully from some educated football minds on this forum, where would peppers be best suited to play in our defense? and how does he grade out playing specifically in that role? his versatility and talent may launch him into top 20 discussion , but does his role and skill set in a dolphins uniform justify him as a the pick @ 22 for our team?

The most educated minds in the NFL have the same questions, not just those on this forum. Versatility is just a fun buzzword for Peppers confirming he doesn't do one thing very well, although one could argue a returner and have a strong case. Just because you can line up in a multitude of spots doesn't create value if it can't be translated to the next level. Jack of all trades can also be defined as Master of none. It's a valid knock. Where he does excel is in off the field intangibles. Great character, great teammate, willing to do what is asked of him, and a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. That counts for a lot but where he plays is work in progress, even for a creative DC.

Let's take a look at some suggested positions for Peppers.

LB: Not happening in the NFL. Not even as a WLB in an Under Front. Next.

SS or S/LB hybrid: He played OK in the box as a DB in college, but most of his impact came on plays when he was completely unblocked. He's a great tackler in space, but that won't happen nearly as often in the NFL. Especially as we continue towards the trend of Nickel being our base. That in fact puts more pressure on the back 7 for proper run fits. As an overhang run defender in Brown's defense (Force philosophy) their responsibility is to defend the seam and be a lever player meaning to keep the ball on their inside shoulder to force the ball back to inside help. He executed this on many occasions but you have to consider the quality of offense he faced and the offensive lineman carrying out the tasks against him. NFL blockers won't be so forgiving (or untalented) on outside runs and will eliminate him due to his lack of size by either driving him out of the play or easily carrying around on an outside loop. And again, being in Nickel eliminates any free run defenders so he must be a factor and be able to shed blocks, not be engulfed by them which he was on many many occasions. Dime they can be had, as it was in Brown's defense as the "PUP" player was an alley defender (6th DB) but then you're primary goal w/ 6 DBs is strictly a passing situation so it's somewhat irrelevant in the NFL.

FS: He'll have to take on a serious learning curve to play FS at the NFL level as the FS is the "QB" for the secondary. He must learn to quickly recognize route concepts and have a great feel on where/when/how to break on the ball in coverage being the last line of defense. He maybe can play here but it will take a few years.

Slot Corner: He struggles in man coverage as he doesn't play very comfortable in space and we're a heavy man coverage defense. He can tackle downhill in space very well (left unblocked) but he doesn't defend well 1v1. Watch him vs a good WR like OSU's Curtis Samuel and you'll see the his inability to diagnose routes, slow reaction time, and poor recovery.

My Conclusion: JaBell Peppers is a 3rd round project who will need a good amount of time for development to become an every down impact defender (2-3 years) with his only immediate impact on special teams which negates any first round consideration. Where I could see him in our defense is as a Cover 2 safety for us, but the moment we have to bring an extra defender in to the box for run help, it forces off coverage for the CBs and a true FS situation. Neither of which Jones nor Peppers are suited for.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

You ever thought of doing tape breakdowns? I'd be curious to see your version of assessment against the video posted

The video posted is a highlight reel. Not a proper evaluation.

Sons that is where I see a disconnect. Other scouts\people have said he's good in man coverage. Just that Michigan didn't let him play man because it is a heavy zone blitz defense

I like the player but not the fit. In my humble opinion his best position would be SS and we already have Jones. Would I take him and his talents in the 3rd round? Of course I would but it's funny how some people here don't want us to draft a DE at 22 because "he won't get many snaps" but yet they want Peppers who in his first year might be a return guy. Not trying to put him down. If he goes to the right team I believe he'll be a good player. We don't have the luxury to draft him.....having said that, tbuam gave away picks to draft a WR when that was our strongest unit so I won't put anything past him

Ozzy rules!!

He's one of 5 or 6 possibilities including TE whom I'd be perfectly pleased we drafted @22.

Back
Top Bottom