Jack Conklin And Qs About 5th Year Option | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jack Conklin And Qs About 5th Year Option

NJ Dolphan

Rookie
Reaction score
So Schefter reports that Tennessee won't be picking up Conklin's fifth year option. Obviously we have a need at right tackle and I don't hear anything about him being a huge bust.

Typically, what kind of discount do you get in a trade where the fifth year option is not being picked up?

Also, can an acquiring team choose to pick up the option?

Conklin tore his ACL in the 2017 playoffs. He missed the first three games of last season due to the torn ACL, missed another with a concussion and then landed on injured reserve with another knee injury near the end of the season. He missed seven games altogether and the fact that the 2020 option of 12 mil big ones is guaranteed against injury..... think this scares Tenn off a bit.

2019 cost 5 mil +.
If healthy he would have been a hell of a pick up with slight discount $$$

Last edited:
So Schefter reports that Tennessee won't be picking up Conklin's fifth year option. Obviously we have a need at right tackle and I don't hear anything about him being a huge bust.

Typically, what kind of discount do you get in a trade where the fifth year option is not being picked up?

Also, can an acquiring team choose to pick up the option?
They absolutely better not use a single one of those extra draft assets they have accumulated for next season's draft on a player from another team. They may need those picks to move up to take a shot at a franchise qb in next year's draft if their record isn't bad enough to just pick one where they are. This team is too bereft of talent and has way too many needs to be giving draft assets for a veteran player.

i mean why would Tennessee trade him tho?

They want to make the playoffs and he is a good player when healthy.

They declined the 5th year because of the injury history . . . .they can still franchise him, resign him or get a comp pick if he walks after a good season.

The option to pick up the 5th year deadline is today I believe . . . .once that passes you can’t add it later.

He will be a UFA in 2020.

Would I trade a token day 3 pick for a 1 year rental at $2.5 million or so to protect the potential franchise QB I just acquired . . . .yea sure. If he has a good year, and walks, you can make that back in compensatory easily in 2021.

But again have no idea why Tennessee would trade him.

I'd go slow on Conklin, sounds like Sitton all over again. These guys break down fast. Kick the tires, but no giving up draft picks and make it a team friendly deal or just pass. We do need a RT, unless Davis is being penciled in at RT, because we're paper thin with Isiah Price and not much else. I'm still glad we didn't overpay James, he got crazy money and I never loved the player.

I don't think NE spends big on OL. They don't even spend big on FA period. I don't think this has any chance

i mean why would Tennessee trade him tho?

They want to make the playoffs and he is a good player when healthy.

They declined the 5th year because of the injury history . . . .they can still franchise him, resign him or get a comp pick if he walks after a good season.

The option to pick up the 5th year deadline is today I believe . . . .once that passes you can’t add it later.

He will be a UFA in 2020.

Would I trade a token day 3 pick for a 1 year rental at $2.5 million or so to protect the potential franchise QB I just acquired . . . .yea sure. If he has a good year, and walks, you can make that back in compensatory easily in 2021.

But again have no idea why Tennessee would trade him.

Yep, Tennessee wouldn't trade him for a bunch of reasons- 1) as you said, he's a good player when healthy, 2) picking up his option would have made him one of the highest paid RTs in the league but they'll have a bunch of different avenues to pursue if they want to keep him past '19, and 3) there isn't much of a trade market for RTs- RT is neck & neck with FS/SS for the lowest valued position in the league.

I wouldn't trade high draft capital for someone that seems to be breaking down the last few seasons.

I don’t believe anybody would.

His value is lower than it should be . . .to the point where Tennessee is better served keeping him.

If he was available for a 6 or a 7 . . . .its a no brainer gamble.

I don't think NE spends big on OL. They don't even spend big on FA period. I don't think this has any chance

This talking point is getting rather used up. NE can afford to bargain bin shop because they have a QB who can diagnose the defense pre snap, make adjustments and get the ball out in 2 secs.

When we have that, then we too, can be a exception to the rule.

I would the 7th no problem, maybe the 6th from the Cowboys

Back
Top Bottom