Jackson and Iggy's 5th year options not getting picked up | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jackson and Iggy's 5th year options not getting picked up

Grier has to be trolling if this the oline we are going into 23 with. No signing Wynn/ Fleming doesn't solve the problem.

I agree Iggy was a terrible pick at the time. He was a former WR who was still learning to play CB and picking him in the first round made no sense at the time.

Jackson at the time was not a bad pick. He was the highest rated LT on the board at the time and just about every mock draft had him being drafted in the top 20 picks in the 2020 draft.

The Dolphins biggest need in the 2020 draft after the QB position was LT. It’s obviously easy after the fact to see if a draft pick was good or bad but at the time, selecting Jackson was the obvious pick for the Dolphins.
Analysts always say everybody misses.
Jonathon Martin, Billy Turner, Eddie Moore, Pat Cusing (QB from Nebraska and I think I have the name wrong). I would even put Deiter and Liam in this group. Deiter was only third round so maybe depth guy was all we could expect.
Liam was second round and we traded up for him.
Maybe other teams miss this often as well and it is just is more painful when it is your own team.

Grier...''Austin Jackson is our starting right tackle''

Grier..we will not pick up your fifth year option..

interesting signal...
Fish or cut bait year. Stay healthy and produce or you’re gone

Fish or cut bait year. Stay healthy and produce or you’re gone
I think that should be the stance anyways. One year post Flores, it's still coming to light how little attention was paid to the offense. The fact that during his tenure we got Tua and Waddle is very surprising. Aside from those selections though, the offense could have not been less of a priority and that includes player development. Now McD's guys are having to ramp up accountability and still try to develop players like Ajax and Eich to fill holes.

I think that should be the stance anyways. One year post Flores, it's still coming to light how little attention was paid to the offense. The fact that during his tenure we got Tua and Waddle is very surprising. Aside from those selections though, the offense could have not been less of a priority and that includes player development. Now McD's guys are having to ramp up accountability and still try to develop players like Ajax and Eich to fill holes.
My biggest takeaway from the McD era is that he has a plan and he’s following it to a tee. That plan is to load up with elite coaches, playmakers and team speed. Flo had no plan.

My biggest takeaway from the McD era is that he has a plan and he’s following it to a tee. That plan is to load up with elite coaches, playmakers and team speed. Flo had no plan.
I agree. Just keep coaching up players and bringing in the best new talent available like he and Grier have been doing. They are a good team. Sure, got three spots to still either get solid production out of existing players or replace with better players but look at the other 19 starting positions. How many teams have 19 positions with A+ to C+ talent? Eagles? Chiefs maybe? That's pretty much the list.

I agree. Just keep coaching up players and bringing in the best new talent available like he and Grier have been doing. They are a good team. Sure, got three spots to still either get solid production out of existing players or replace with better players but look at the other 19 starting positions. How many teams have 19 positions with A+ to C+ talent? Eagles? Chiefs maybe? That's pretty much the list.
I may be an outlier but I’m not concerned with the oline at all. When Tua was healthy he was the least sacked QB in the NFL with the same oline. If he gets rid of the ball instead of holding onto it too long we’ll be fine. Also I think we will see a much bigger commitment to the running game which will also help Tua. A little concerned about Jax but not enough to lose sleep over. There will be comp at RT and that was made clear when we didn’t take his 5th yr option. Trying to be as unbiased as I possibly can, I really don’t see how team can defend the amount of playmakers we have on O. If VF gets a 10-15% improvement on his side of the ball we will be a complete football team. It’s been a very long time since that’s happened—probably the 70’s.

Back
Top Bottom