Jacksons Latest | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jacksons Latest

Most interesting take away is that gase references the need to get ballage reps with the ones to get him used to the pace. Why? Cause if Tanny goes down the tempo o with a osweiler or fales goes out the window.

Indicator that neither can be trusted with it not to screw it up or is ready for it.

And I’d agree.

It all starts up front. When we went to the super bowl in the 82 season our QB was David Woodley. Our WR's were Moore and Duriel Harris. Our RB was Tony Nathan. None of those guys were pro bowl players but.........our O-line was Gisler-Newman-Stevenson-Kuechenburg-Laakso

We also had a good defense of course but on offense at the skill position we were not gifted but we won games up front. If our O-line can play good football then the offense will be fine.
Actually, 1982 was the year that late Andra Franklin was our main running back (may have been considered a FB at the time). His performance that year was a major reason we made the Super Bowl. And he made the Pro Bowl that year although injuries shortened his career thereafter.

Hey Danny - totally agree w your point and I know this may be nit picking but Nat Moore was an All Pro at least 1x. In 1982 he was invisible (about 8-10 catches) so perhaps that’s what you were referring to. Just didn’t want to see him slighted as he was one of our top all time WRs. Back to your point - we had a great o-line, power running w Franklin and a great, but undersized D when compared to the Skins O line. On paper we were not a SB team.
Yes, we did not have a Super Bowl Roster in 1982, but we had Don Shula as head coach.
Enough said!

Hey Danny - totally agree w your point and I know this may be nit picking but Nat Moore was an All Pro at least 1x. In 1982 he was invisible (about 8-10 catches) so perhaps that’s what you were referring to. Just didn’t want to see him slighted as he was one of our top all time WRs. Back to your point - we had a great o-line, power running w Franklin and a great, but undersized D when compared to the Skins O line. On paper we were not a SB team.
Yes I meant for the 82 season Moore was not a top WR by then tho he was very good and one of my favorites.

Actually, 1982 was the year that late Andra Franklin was our main running back (may have been considered a FB at the time). His performance that year was a major reason we made the Super Bowl. And he made the Pro Bowl that year although injuries shortened his career thereafter.
I remember Franklin. He was a 2nd round pick from Nebraska the year before and Overstreet was going to be our tail back but he went to Canada instead. I think we had a good running game with both Franklin and Nathan but my point is neither was a consistent all pro or anything like that but the O-line helped them both a lot. Also some very good leaders up front.

Yes I meant for the 82 season Moore was not a top WR by then tho he was very good and one of my favorites.
For whatever reason Moore was a non factor that year w less than 10 catches. Dan Marino rejuvenated the man’s career as he had a “2nd wind” after Woodley. Many consider ‘82 Shula’s most brilliant year of coaching ever to get that team not only to the SB, but to come one defensive “almost” TD away from winning it. Joe Theisman’s best play all game (for real) was him tracking and knocking the ball away from Bokamper. They could only hurt us on the ground and a 24-13 lead would have been insurmountable in the 4th. Damn.

I like hearing about what the guys are doing in the camp action.

It’s disappointing to learn that Phillips has already been demoted to 2nd team. Encouraging to hear that Branch is looking good - I’m pulling extra hard for him this year after meeting his mom (told the story here in a thread) in FT Lauderdale. Lovely person.
I'm at a point where I think Phillips will be more of a contributor than a starter or a star player. Hopefully, he can still improve but I've downgraded my expectations with him.

This has been Miami's issue for years. IMO the only elite player on Miami's roster is Wake, and with his age that wont stay that way much longer. There are a couple of young guys that we don't know about yet but overall this roster needs more top tier talent and sprinkle in one or two elite players on both sides of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball Tunsil could develop into one with solid guard play next to him so he can concentrate on his assignments. Drake has the skills, but we will see if he can keep up with last years production and his health. Gesicki could end up being a Greg Olsen type. Not sure if he's considered elite or not, but arguably one of if not the best overall TE in the game.

On defense Wake is still an elite pass rusher, and has been for years. Jones, while is very good, I am not sure I would say he is elite. Fitzpatrick has all the tools to be elite, and I would like to see what a healthy McMillan can do.
True, but New England only has two elite guys in Brady and Gronk. I think Miami has enough talent to be at least slightly above average on offense.

I think demoting Phillips is the best way to finally motivate him. Don't give him anything. Make him earn every snap and you'll see him getting very nasty with his opportunities. If he takes plays off in limited snaps I'd be shocked. We need him to step it up when the games count. I don't know if we have enough at DT if Phillips let's us down. The guy is a #2 pick, I hope Coach K can light a bonfire under his ***.

That height is not ideal for defensive tackle. You're not going to be consistently dominant given all the disadvantages of that lanky frame inside. I've been posting that since we drafted him and Slimm emphasized the same thing after last season ended.

Expect more of the same from Phillips. But an occasional splash play is valuable there.

This has been Miami's issue for years. IMO the only elite player on Miami's roster is Wake, and with his age that wont stay that way much longer. There are a couple of young guys that we don't know about yet but overall this roster needs more top tier talent and sprinkle in one or two elite players on both sides of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball Tunsil could develop into one with solid guard play next to him so he can concentrate on his assignments. Drake has the skills, but we will see if he can keep up with last years production and his health. Gesicki could end up being a Greg Olsen type. Not sure if he's considered elite or not, but arguably one of if not the best overall TE in the game.

On defense Wake is still an elite pass rusher, and has been for years. Jones, while is very good, I am not sure I would say he is elite. Fitzpatrick has all the tools to be elite, and I would like to see what a healthy McMillan can do.
I've been saying this for year and I know I'm not the only one but it is what it is. Front office has been mostly the same for decades...it's insanity. Same guys doing the evals over and over and expecting different results.

Reshad Jones has been playing out of position for years. He's a strong safety not a free. Against some teams it's not as glaring, against the upper half teams it's like a black hole in pass defense. He's best up near the LOS. The fact they signed McDonald who isn't a compliment just made no sense to me but it's whatever. I can only hope that Fitzpatrick develops into the FS this team has needed for years.

True, but New England only has two elite guys in Brady and Gronk. I think Miami has enough talent to be at least slightly above average on offense.

Let's be more generous. How many players on each of the top 8 teams made All Pro? First AND second team. That's not elite. For all the angst over any particular player not being elite or Miami not having elite players, few on each team make All Pro - a much lower bar. NE has 3 All Pros, including one ST guy. Top teams don't accumulate elite players. They have good players and a handful of All Pros. Miami needs more good players. Are they on the '18 team? Won't know until December.

Yes, we did not have a Super Bowl Roster in 1982, but we had Don Shula as head coach.
Enough said!
Brilliant coaching that year. People were ready to make Bill Belichick supreme chancellor of the universe for winning a game w Jacoby brisket. Shula went to a SB w David Woodley.

Brilliant coaching that year. People were ready to make Bill Belichick supreme chancellor of the universe for winning a game w Jacoby brisket. Shula went to a SB w David Woodley.
Shula almost won a playoff game with a running back at QB.

Back
Top Bottom