Jaelan Phillips ... potential Defensive Rookie of the Year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips ... potential Defensive Rookie of the Year?

He has everything you need to become an elite pass rusher, just got to stay on the field.

I wanted Phillips over any defensive player in the draft including Parsons. So I am not surprised he is viewed so highly in Vegas and around the league.
Me too honestly. While Parsons is a dominant player ... Phillips is more skilled, IMHO, and fits our system better at a position that is extremely hard to fill. And, we currently have a huge need at that hybrid edge position. Absolutely perfect pick. I'd put it up there with Trevor Lawrence as one of the very best picks in the draft. If guys like Caleb Farley and Ozeez Ojulari (sp?) can stay healthy, they can be steals as well ... but if Phillips lives up to his potential, this is our best draft pick in a long time and validates trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick who instantly became an All-Pro. Yes, I'm that much of a believer in Jaelan Phillips' upside.

Me too honestly. While Parsons is a dominant player ... Phillips is more skilled, IMHO, and fits our system better at a position that is extremely hard to fill. And, we currently have a huge need at that hybrid edge position. Absolutely perfect pick. I'd put it up there with Trevor Lawrence as one of the very best picks in the draft. If guys like Caleb Farley and Ozeez Ojulari (sp?) can stay healthy, they can be steals as well ... but if Phillips lives up to his potential, this is our best draft pick in a long time and validates trading away Minkah Fitzpatrick who instantly became an All-Pro. Yes, I'm that much of a believer in Jaelan Phillips' upside.

Parsons disappeared in some games.

Parsons disappeared in some games.
Yeah, and also, he really isn't as versatile as many people think he is either. For him to succeed the Cowboys really need to just unleash him at that LB position almost as a hero back. But they needed a CB ... and still do.

I mean think about it @Digital , our lb group has a lot of talented players. Baker, Van Ginkel, Mckinney, and etc. We don't need a linebacker.
Yeah, but I think Van Ginkel is a hybrid OLB/DE and Jaelan Phillips is a hybrid DE/OLB so it's hard to classify these guys as pure LB in the classic sense. Also, I think Baker's days are numbered. The addition of Bernardrick McKinney only works if the other LB's are OLB/DE types, so I see Baker more as the substitute for McKinney on passing downs.

Baker's contract will be up soon, and he's more of a modern SS/LB hybrid that is all the rage in most of the NFL these days ... but our defense doesn't really use them. We take one guy and make him the SS/Nickel and sometimes put him up in the box like a LB vs the run ... and that's not who Baker is. I can't see us valuing him as much as other NFL teams once he hits free agency.

Yeah, but I think Van Ginkel is a hybrid OLB/DE and Jaelan Phillips is a hybrid DE/OLB so it's hard to classify these guys as pure LB in the classic sense. Also, I think Baker's days are numbered. The addition of Bernardrick McKinney only works if the other LB's are OLB/DE types, so I see Baker more as the substitute for McKinney on passing downs.

Baker's contract will be up soon, and he's more of a modern SS/LB hybrid that is all the rage in most of the NFL these days ... but our defense doesn't really use them. We take one guy and make him the SS/Nickel and sometimes put him up in the box like a LB vs the run ... and that's not who Baker is. I can't see us valuing him as much as other NFL teams once he hits free agency.

At this point I am expecting Philips to line up similar to Watts with the Steelers. Our defense in my opinion is built from scheme thought process first, and personel that can run the scheme. I must emphasize that we only beat 1 team with a winning record, and lost 3 times against teams with a winning record. I am hoping Holland becomes a starter next season.

I think he has a good shot.

In regards to Parsons, the Cowboys still have LVE, Smith and Neal at LB who I assume will get snaps throughout the year unless Parsons shines early and often.

Parsons is going to be on the field a lot with that Def. There is only so much the LBs can do in a league that is going pass heavy

I love the pick i just don’t love the rest of the D after the LBer unit

Just watching NFL Now from earlier today on the DVR and they said George Paton and the Broncos were considering trading back into the first round to take Phillips.

Then we took him.

The AFCE is going to bring in 2 rookie QBs, which means we will have 4 games against these rookies.
To me this means that both Phillips and Holland can feast on these guys and rank up there as top defense rookies.
At least that's what I hope happens.

The AFCE is going to bring in 2 rookie QBs, which means we will have 4 games against these rookies.
To me this means that both Phillips and Holland can feast on these guys and rank up there as top defense rookies.
At least that's what I hope happens.
IDK about that. You may not see Jones until late in the year, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom