Jaelan Phillips ... potential Defensive Rookie of the Year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips ... potential Defensive Rookie of the Year?

At this point I am expecting Philips to line up similar to Watts with the Steelers. Our defense in my opinion is built from scheme thought process first, and personel that can run the scheme. I must emphasize that we only beat 1 team with a winning record, and lost 3 times against teams with a winning record. I am hoping Holland becomes a starter next season.
Phillips can be a weapon much like TJ Watt in the pass rush.

The Cowboys have Smith and Vander Esch already, so I could see Parsons putting up a smaller stat line than expected. I think Phillips or Holland could win DoRY if they stay healthy as they are both playmakers. Heavy emphasis on could.

Hold on, now I am confused.

Experts and analysts raved about our draft and loved the Philips pick.

Now Vegas loves him too.

But, I could of sworn, I read on this site........ Flo and Grier su$k and we would rue the day we didn't draft Najee at 18 or trade down and get Etienne.

I don't know what to believe anymore

The Cowboys have Smith and Vander Esch already, so I could see Parsons putting up a smaller stat line than expected. I think Phillips or Holland could win DoRY if they stay healthy as they are both playmakers. Heavy emphasis on could.
I struggle to see second round safety get the nod over a bigger name. Id expect a 1st round guy like Phillips who stayed in Miami getting a ton of press from the NFL media and kick starting that campaign if he were to put up a 3 sack in 2 game type streak. Nature of the position.

Maybe not this yr because Phillips is obviously probably going to be a plug and play but long term I think Holland will be the defender we are talking about. I hope Phillips overcomes all his obstacles but I just loved the Holland pick. This is the type of pick I get mad about when someone else gets them.

Of the 2, i think holland has the best chance at dpoty. Our defense is fueled by db play and holland is rangy and a true ballhawk playmaker at safety this defense has been missing since louis oliver. This defense was made for big play safeties as it has been in new england since BB was hired and flo is a diciple of. Holland will be a freak in this pressure defense. Only way he gets dpoty award is if he starts day one or within the first 3 games.

I just don't see it with this dude. I think he's going to be a decent rotational player, but not worthy of the 18th pick.
Outside of concussion concerns (which are valid), I don't see what's not to like. He's big, strong, fast, and talented. He's good against the run and a smart pass rusher.

He will vary his moves depending on how the guy he's matched up against is blocking him. There are numerous instances of him setting up his blocker with similar starting moves, only to change it up and win w a different counter later in the game. This ability to adjust makes him a threat to even beat lineman that seem to be containing him. He is also very good at getting inside the OT, leading to clear paths to QB's and RB's in the backfield. His athleticism allows him to risk sacrificing setting the edge, bc he can win toward the inside on such a frequent basis.

Basically, he is far from a one trick pony. His game is quite versatile and adaptable.

He was rusty and did not do much his first 3 games. But in his final 7, he had 8 sacks, 36 pressures, and 13 TFL. He was the number 1 recruit in his class for a reason and he was finally able to show why. One look at his game log and you can see he was getting better as the season went on.

This is a high risk pick, but if you don't see the upside, then we aren't seeing the same things.

Outside of concussion concerns (which are valid), I don't see what's not to like. He's big, strong, fast, and talented. He's good against the run and a smart pass rusher.

He will vary his moves depending on how the guy he's matched up against is blocking him. There are numerous instances of him setting up his blocker with similar starting moves, only to change it up and win w a different counter later in the game. This ability to adjust makes him a threat to even beat lineman that seem to be containing him. He is also very good at getting inside the OT, leading to clear paths to QB's and RB's in the backfield. His athleticism allows him to risk sacrificing setting the edge, bc he can win toward the inside on such a frequent basis.

Basically, he is far from a one trick pony. His game is quite versatile and adaptable.

He was rusty and did not do much his first 3 games. But in his final 7, he had 8 sacks, 36 pressures, and 13 TFL. He was the number 1 recruit in his class for a reason and he was finally able to show why. One look at his game log and you can see he was getting better as the season went on.

This is a high risk pick, but if you don't see the upside, then we aren't seeing the same things.

I think he has a decent floor, but i think his ceiling is average starter. It's going to be interesting seeing he trajectory against his Miami teammate Greg Rousseau in Buffalo, if Rousseau puts it together his ceiling is much higher.

Flo clearly wanted a better and more explosive player across from Ogbah. With Phillips he has potentially upgraded in a big way. Ogbah gave us 9 sacks last season. Let's see if he can break a dozen this season, another 8-12 from Phillips and who knows! Defense could be quite a bit better than last years.

Back
Top Bottom