Jaelan Phillips | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips

Is Parsons so good? He has 10 sacks in 695 snaps. Phillips has 8.5 in under 500 snaps. I don’t have specific pass rush stats. But I would expect Parsons to have more opportunities since the Cowboys were basically playing him as a DE due to injury.
We don't have to downplay Parsons to prop up Phillips... they're both looking great

I remember early in the season, when Greg Rousseau of the Bills had a sack against the Fins, many on this sight were saying the
Dolphins should have drafted him and not Phillips.
Well as of today Phillips has 8 1/2 sacks and Rousseau has 3 sacks.
I think Rousseau is a good player, but Phillips is and will be a much better player and was the better pick.

Lets not forget stat plays like Butler's sack. That was a direct result of Jaelen Phillips being a MONSTER. He had the inside stunt to free up Butler, and he did it fantastically. He took out the two giant's linemen perfectly. Incredible strength for a 265 lb DE

Im gushing because Im so excited that we took the risk. Ive been excited since Day 1 on the pick, and Im so happy he's looking every bit of the terror his tape showed he was

I didn't know Holland from anyone, frankly I wanted the JOK kid from ND, so I was terribly wrong there and am so happy to see Grier re-establish himself as a defensive backs guru.

I get that Parsons has panned out. He is part of a great defense with a great DC and they have been clicking on all cylinders and he has been a big part of that. And up until now he has had a better season than Phillips.

But, 5 sacks in about 58 snaps is ridiculous. He started out slow and only plays about half of our defensive snaps. And if he can start to string games like that together down the stretch, even if Parsons remains playing at the same high level, a few FFs or a scoop and score could have him in contention for DROTY. Or at least it should. IMO

Oh he should for sure be in contention. So should Holland really. I'm just saying I won't won't mad if Parsons wins. He's so damn versatile.

I've been one of the ones banging the drum for Phillips saying he will be great for a long time, so if he finishes the season this strong I do think he can win it.

We don't have to downplay Parsons to prop up Phillips... they're both looking great
That was in response to a poster doing what everyone loves to do on here and downplay the quality of our players while talking up the player they felt we should have signed. My response wasn’t meant to downplay how good Parsons has been this season, it was meant to point out how good Phillips has been when you look at his productivity vs playing time. Phillips has played 70% of the snaps Parsons has played but he has 85% of the sacks. It’s a little strange that you got defensive about that. But whatever.

That was in response to a poster doing what everyone loves to do on here and downplay the quality of our players while talking up the player they felt we should have signed. My response wasn’t meant to downplay how good Parsons has been this season, it was meant to point out how good Phillips has been when you look at his productivity vs playing time. Phillips has played 70% of the snaps Parsons has played but he has 85% of the sacks. It’s a little strange that you got defensive about that. But whatever.
Not being defensive...I just don't get the point of doing it in either direction...but you did start your comment with "Is Parsons good?" My answer was yes...forming that as a question means there was an argument to be made he's not...which you then kind of tried to make

Not being defensive...I just don't get the point of doing it in either direction...but you did start your comment with "Is Parsons good?" My answer was yes...forming that as a question means there was an argument to be made he's not...which you then kind of tried to make
I was speaking comparatively. As in, “Is he so good that we should have passed on Phillips and essentially Waddle to grab him instead?” Because he was insinuating that the right decision would have been to take Parsons. It wasn’t meant to downplay Parsons. I just prefer our players.

Is Parsons so good? He has 10 sacks in 695 snaps. Phillips has 8.5 in under 500 snaps. I don’t have specific pass rush stats. But I would expect Parsons to have more opportunities since the Cowboys were basically playing him as a DE due to injury.

He isn't good, he's elite.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/20...-that-micah-parsons-is-a-generational-talent/

Plus, Parsons was hardly used as a pass rusher at Penn State. Per Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer just 135 times in his two years as a Nittany Lion (41 in 2018, 94 in 2019). For context, the first true edge rusher off the board in the 2021 draft, Jaelan Phillips, had 286 pass rush snaps in his junior season at Miami.

Among 124 qualified players by snaps rushing the passer (roughly the top four rushers on each team), Parsons ranks first in PFF’s “pass rushing productivity” metric. PRP is simply a per-snap measurement of how often a player is generating a pressure, with a heavier weight given to plays that actually end with a sack. After Parsons, the list is Myles Garrett, Matthew Judon, and Maxx Crosby.

I looked at the last 10 seasons of PFF’s data to attempt to answer that question. Since 2011, 216 rookies have registered as many pass-rush snaps as Parsons. Of those 216, based on pass-rush productivity, he ranks … first. This is a list almost entirely made up of edge-rushing linebackers and defensive ends or interior defenders. Parsons has still played slightly more snaps inside than out, so he is still categorized as a linebacker.

Why stop there? PFF has 20 years of pressure data, so I kept going. In the past 20 seasons, 275 rookies have clocked as many pass-rush snaps as Parsons has this season. Per PRP, again, he ranks … first. The next rookie seasons on that list from 2001-2021 were, in order, Aldon Smith, Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa, Carl Lawson, and Von Miller. Combined number of Pro Bowls so far: 13. There are only six players categorized as linebackers when we use the 20-year sample.

Prior to this weeks games:

https://atozsports.com/dallas/dalla...ns-is-drawing-comparisons-to-this-nfl-legend/
Here’s where the comparisons get interesting for the Cowboys’ rookie, though. Parsons is one of the league’s leaders in pressures, sacks, knockdowns, even though he’s not a full-time pass rusher. Per The Athletic, Parsons has gotten those stats in only 209 pass-rushing snaps.

Yeah, Parsons is every bit what people said he was.

Waddle is looking every bit of a star @ WR. I really think once the OL is at least made adequate, you'll see his true potential.

Oh he should for sure be in contention. So should Holland really. I'm just saying I won't won't mad if Parsons wins. He's so damn versatile.

I've been one of the ones banging the drum for Phillips saying he will be great for a long time, so if he finishes the season this strong I do think he can win it.

Two D players who should get DROY votes. I'm happy

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/20...-that-micah-parsons-is-a-generational-talent/

Plus, Parsons was hardly used as a pass rusher at Penn State. Per Pro Football Focus, he rushed the passer just 135 times in his two years as a Nittany Lion (41 in 2018, 94 in 2019). For context, the first true edge rusher off the board in the 2021 draft, Jaelan Phillips, had 286 pass rush snaps in his junior season at Miami.

Among 124 qualified players by snaps rushing the passer (roughly the top four rushers on each team), Parsons ranks first in PFF’s “pass rushing productivity” metric. PRP is simply a per-snap measurement of how often a player is generating a pressure, with a heavier weight given to plays that actually end with a sack. After Parsons, the list is Myles Garrett, Matthew Judon, and Maxx Crosby.

I looked at the last 10 seasons of PFF’s data to attempt to answer that question. Since 2011, 216 rookies have registered as many pass-rush snaps as Parsons. Of those 216, based on pass-rush productivity, he ranks … first. This is a list almost entirely made up of edge-rushing linebackers and defensive ends or interior defenders. Parsons has still played slightly more snaps inside than out, so he is still categorized as a linebacker.

Why stop there? PFF has 20 years of pressure data, so I kept going. In the past 20 seasons, 275 rookies have clocked as many pass-rush snaps as Parsons has this season. Per PRP, again, he ranks … first. The next rookie seasons on that list from 2001-2021 were, in order, Aldon Smith, Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa, Carl Lawson, and Von Miller. Combined number of Pro Bowls so far: 13. There are only six players categorized as linebackers when we use the 20-year sample.

https://atozsports.com/dallas/dalla...ns-is-drawing-comparisons-to-this-nfl-legend/
Here’s where the comparisons get interesting for the Cowboys’ rookie, though. Parsons is one of the league’s leaders in pressures, sacks, knockdowns, even though he’s not a full-time pass rusher. Per The Athletic, Parsons has gotten those stats in only 209 pass-rushing snaps.

I know that he’s good. I clarified my meaning in another post. I’m glad that you guys are all over this Micah Parsons thing. Lol

Parsons is a beast, and so is Philips. I mean I wanna ask you a question since I know you don't have a Parsons bias. I have gone back to many websites that shoot out mid season grades. And also websites that shoot out pseudo votes such as "rookie of the year". Parsons come into mind in that list, but if Philips has more sacks than Parsons then does he actually deserve to win that award?

Parsons is a beast, and so is Philips. I mean I wanna ask you a question since I know you don't have a Parsons bias. I have gone back to many websites that shoot out mid season grades. And also websites that shoot out pseudo votes such as "rookie of the year". Parsons come into mind in that list, but if Philips has more sacks than Parsons then does he actually deserve to win that award?

Depends on other stats. TFL not from sacks, forced fumbles etc. And of course there's bias in big plays/playing for a team on the national spotlight.

Say Parsons ends with 14 sacks, 13 tfl non sacks 4 ff and 100 tackles. *

Phillips ends up with 16 sacks, 4 tfl non sacks, 1 ff 60 tackles **

*prorated numbers
**prorated but added emphasis on additional sacks due to more PT

I say Parsons should still win it.
Imo he would need to fall off a cliff with Philips posting multiple games with 2 or more sacks for it to be a race.

What Parsons has over Phillips to voters other than total tackles was his ability to show up in national games too.
Chiefs game he had 2 sacks and a lot of pressures.
Vikings game had 11 tackles 4 for losses and some where big time stops in 2nd half
Raiders game he was in carrs face all game and had 5 hits along with a sack.
And the way he makes his presence known is something too. His power on passmoves or open field speed or the way he hits.

In splash plays(sacks, tfl, pressures, 3rd/4th down stops etc) he was leading the entire NFL prior to this past weekend.

Depends on other stats. TFL not from sacks, forced fumbles etc. And of course there's bias in big plays/playing for a team on the national spotlight.

Say Parsons ends with 14 sacks, 13 tfl non sacks 4 ff and 100 tackles. *

Phillips ends up with 16 sacks, 4 tfl non sacks, 1 ff 60 tackles **

*prorated numbers
**prorated but added emphasis on additional sacks due to more PT

I say Parsons should still win it.
Imo he would need to fall off a cliff with Philips posting multiple games with 2 or more sacks for it to be a race.

What Parsons has over Phillips to voters other than total tackles was his ability to show up in national games too.
Chiefs game he had 2 sacks and a lot of pressures.
Vikings game had 11 tackles 4 for losses and some where big time stops in 2nd half
Raiders game he was in carrs face all game and had 5 hits along with a sack.
And the way he makes his presence known is something too. His power on passmoves or open field speed or the way he hits.

In splash plays(sacks, tfl, pressures, 3rd/4th down stops etc) he was leading the entire NFL prior to this past weekend.
Parsons has played much better, and doesn't show signs of slowing down. It's his.

Back
Top Bottom