Jaelen Phillips is ridiculously skinny | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelen Phillips is ridiculously skinny

He was 6'5 250 in college and looks about the same to me :shrug:

They list him as a 3/4 linebacker and that's a good size for that

Another thing is Phillips always get off to slow start

With the canes he did little until about the fourth game then came on strong and finished with 8 and 1/2 sacks

He did the same with us last year

I expect him to start getting sacks now instead of just pressures

I just think Boyer is using him too much in coverage instead of just letting him rush the passer.
Agreed. A guy with that athletic profile and elite RAS numbers needs to be matched up against tackles. That's where his athletic advantages will show up. If you use him in space it's wasted because skill guys will be smaller and comparatively quicker.

Very few guys can get around the edge in the NFL these days, given the long route and how quickly the ball is coming out. Chase Young was always vastly overrated in terms of NFL projection because he simply was not athletic or explosive enough. That's why he ducked every single test category coming out of college. He would have totally flunked. Contrast to Phillips who was very, very good in those categories.

Defensive end is easier to project than virtually every other position because so much of it is based on athletic profile. The Dolphins drafted two guys who were on top of all the bust forecast lists in Dion Jordan and Charles Harris. In contrast, Phillips was at or near the top of the sack projection list. Now the Dolphins are betraying his strengths. Too much thinking going on.

Here is the SackSEER write up on Phillips. I remember when they did this the year prior they somehow were willing to deviate from their model and put Chase Young on top, while mentioning but otherwise content to ignore the lack of test scores. In essence, they betrayed their own numerical model in favor of subjectivity and conventional wisdom. As someone who has dealt with numerical systems for nearly 40 years, that type of tactic will come back to burn you far more often than not. Young is a good hard trying player who is strong against the run but he was severely overdrafted in a pass oriented league:

"Jaelan Phillips is a sneaky good edge rusher prospect. In pre-draft coverage, Phillips has been somewhat overshadowed by his slightly more highly regarded teammate, Gregory Rousseau. However, SackSEER actually thinks that Phillips is the stronger prospect, and indeed, the best edge rusher prospect in this draft. A consistent theme of Phillips' projection is that he does not excel or break records in any one area, but all of his SackSEER numbers are good, making him a solid prospect overall."

I agree as usual with OP. I mean, look at this little sassy boney MF. Looks like one of those vegan fellas who eats his cereal plain without milk.

I think you can take him brother.

jf0hz1nq6q671.png
Wow how skinny.......LOL......I would like to be that skinny

I also think our edge guys have been asked to do a little more counting than rushing against Josh and Lamar. I hope to see the true pass Ruch against Joe tomorrow

I preferred Rousseau to Phillips (mostly due to concussion risk), but I do believe that Phillips will be fine now that we are finished playing the running QBs.
From here on out, he can pin his ears back and use his top speed without worrying about losing containment.
No Jackson or Allen to worry about now.

I do not agree with the op, very much

He has an incredible build, frame, and muscle development..up close he is inspiring from a genetic standpoint

I was up close with him about a month ago so unless he’s sick and has last a lot of weight then he’s a physical freak

Phillips 6'5" 266#
Nick Bosa 6'5" 267#
Joey Bosa 6'4" 280#
Rousseau 6'7" 267#
Young 6'5" 265#
Jason Taylor 6'" 244#

He’s also been missing the past 3 games, hopefully he breaks out of this funk and starts to dominate.

Back
Top Bottom