Jags Sign Stokes : Decision Time.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jags Sign Stokes : Decision Time....

Originally posted by fin-atic
How is this a bad thing?

Peoplke have such short term memory. Before his contract dispute and when he ws making one handed stabs against the Jets,he was the greatest thing in the world.

A contract dispute later and all of a sudden the guy can't play.

And on top of that everyone is annointing Thompson (one average season) and Tolver (rookie who has yet to cass a pass) as better replacements.

I think we are lucky to have the competition and the depth only makes the team better.

I agree, Does anyone remember Brian Manning, he tore it up in preseason but never did crap in the regular season, GB wound up trying to make him a DB.

What people also forget is that even though OG isn't fast I have many times seen him drag defenders 5-10 yds after the catch. If indeed he comes back the contract dispute should be forgiven as Spielman with out a doubt won that battle and OG's agent really screwed up.

I too would like to see some of the younger talent get a chance but it's always nice to have an insurance policy in case they aren't quite as good once the real games start.

It's no surprise that people have been bashing Gadsden since it looked like he was out of the picture to coming back to Miami.. Just look at the little twits that were bashing Zach Thomas and saying he should be traded just because he didn't like the contract that was given to him at first.. This will all go away and all those Gadsden bashers will be back here saying how great of a clutch pass Gadsden made last week and so on.. Gadsden is a better receiver than Thompson and Tolver put together at this point...

HURRAH:drinker:

Originally posted by PhinPhreak

I agree, Does anyone remember Brian Manning, he tore it up in preseason but never did crap in the regular season, GB wound up trying to make him a DB.

Heh. Yeah. I love everything I hear / read about Tolver, but my enthusiasm is tempered by the Brian Manning experience.

Same with Charles Jordan. Remember him tearing it up every camp, then just disappearing at game time? He was injured quite a bit, but even when he played, he just never lived up to the training camp promise he'd shown.

Some guys just can look great in practice and can't produce in games. I get the feeling Rob Johnson was one of those types - for the life of me, I can't imagine old Wade Phillips starting that guy every week, for as long as he was there, if the guy looked as lost in practice as he did in games.

Can't forget about OG's wonderful route-running either. The guy may be slow.....but he gets open because he runs precise routes. Better than anyone else on the team. He knows where the first down marker is and adjusts his route appropriately. Plus, he's still a load to bring down. He's also a solid run-blocker.

This is a good thing. Remember when our starting WRs got injured in Denver?? The next week, we were starting McKnight (who had been inactive for 4 games) and Dedric Ward. I'll feel much better with OG and McKnightor Thompson lining up if the Top 2 go down. Not to mention Brian Griese over Ray Lucas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping the Fins will be like "Hey we told you either you get in camp this monday or not ever, so bye"

OG is average. I'm tired of average. I see more potential in Thompson and Tolver. However, OG is good to have though in case that potential is never realized. But I hate the idea of him being the second receiver again.

I'm going to reserve further comment until he signs. If he does, I'll write a column then.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
I'm going to reserve further comment until he signs. If he does, I'll write a column then.

Until then...read this:

Impressive Offseason Earns Wannstedt High Marks
By DAVE HYDE (Exclusive 'Fins Insider column)
On-line polls. On-air debates. They're all here, even as the Dolphins are still off the field for another six weeks.
The quarterback controversy is an animal unlike any in sports, but let's hold off on getting too carried away with this one. Brian Griese played it smart in his opening news conference, saying he doesn't know the system or the players and that makes it "kind of ridiculous" this late in the off-season to project himself as the starter.
That's what Dave Wannstedt wanted to hear. It's what the Dolphins coach demanded at the start of the Griese negotiations.
"That was important,"' he said. "I wanted to make sure we were on the same page as far as what we expected."
We can debate from here to the opener on who is a better quarterback, Fiedler or Griese. Both have been functional in their careers. Neither has done enough to show they're special. But what you can't argue about as the last of the off-season headlines gets written with Griese's signing is how smart the Dolphins brain-trust went about these past several months.
They shored up problems. They got veteran talent. They didn't blow the salary-cap budget for years to come.
As bad as Wannstedt was last December is how good he was this April and May. That doesn't erase December. That will hang over him like a guillotine until he changes it on the field. And it should. That's the reality of the business.
But this off-season put him - and his players - in the mindset to look ahead, not behind. A Griese here, a Junior Seau there allows the Dolphins players to nod their heads and say this year can be different. Good change was made.
Wannstedt was asked whether the Dolphins got "lucky" with some players being available, like Griese and Junior Seau. But let's be clear on something. You can question Wannstedt's on-field tactics and year-end results. But he has maintained a program that players want to come to.
Griese could have gone to Chicago instead of Kordell Stewart. And made a lot more money. Seau could be closer to home in Arizona and earned a much bigger salary. Both came to the Dolphins, because they see this team as close and because Wannstedt's coaches and players sold them on it.
It was Mike Shula, a fellow Miami Columbus High alum, who initially took the lead in recruiting Griese. When Shula left for Alabama, Wannstedt took the lead in talking to him. You can't overlook the sales pitch that went on here.
You can question whether they upgraded enough at wide receiver. That's the big wonder, and getting Oronde Gadsden back or not won't change it. Left tackle? That didn't cost them the playoffs, and if they weren't going to get a proven player of impact (Wayne Gandy, Kyle Turley), why bother with overpaying for a maybe?
You can also scratch your head over the draft-day dealings that resulted in trading picks and spinning their wheels by getting so little in return. But the positives far outweigh the questions of this off-season. Here's a top-five of off-season moves based on positional importance and what they bring to the roster:
1. Griese. No question here. After last season, the backup quarterback was going to be the most important signing, no matter who it was. If it was Neil O'Donnell or Akili Smith it would have been the most important, though in a red-flag kind of way. At the least, Griese is the perfect insurance policy for Fiedler. At best, he rejuvenates his career, returns to the 19-touchdown, four-interception quarterback of 2000 and jumps over Fiedler.
2. Sammy Knight. As last season got uncovered in recent months like an archaelogical dig, it became clear that coaches thought Arturo Freeman's play was a problem. And with Brock Marion getting some age on him, it became necessary to get a proven player back there. Knight gives that. New Orleans didn't like his speed, and that's the question. But this is the New Oreans staff that gave up on Ricky Williams, too. Knight gives proven impact from a player in the prime of his career.
3. Junior Seau. This is the kind of move the old Raiders became famous for. Getting a creaking veteran. Eking out another good year, maybe two from him. And letting his veterans smarts and locker-room presence sift to everyone. The question remains how much gas is left in Senior Seau's tank, and the Dolphins addressed that by saying he's not an every-down player anymore. Seau for Derrick Rodgers at a slight upgrade in price? It's a no-brainer.
4. Derrius Thompson. He caught a lot of passes for Steve Spurrier last year in Washington. Spurrier doesn't want him anymore. That's interesting. Spurrier loves speed receivers, and Thompson has plodding speed. What the Dolphins needed was a big-play presence out of a receiver. The hope remains Chris Chambers fills that, because they got improvement - not game-changing impact -from the off-season.
5. Terrell Buckley. Great guy. Great teammate. But whether he fills the all-important nickel-back role has to be seen. This is the position that cost the defense dearly last season. The Dolphins staff figures someone - Buckley, Jamar Fletcher or Omare Lowe - will come out of it. Maybe they'll use Freeman as the fifth defensive back in some cases.

Bleh he makes one great catch last year and you all forget about the balls he dropped during those 6 games and the measly 38 yards a game he was putting up in the #2 spot. He's over the hill. Why sign him to regress even more?

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Well it appears that the Jags have just signed WR JJ Stokes. With this happening it would appear that Gadsden is out of the picture in Jacksonville. If so, it looks like Gadsden will return.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

:fire:

Just for confirmation, the Jaguars did in fact cancel their visit with OG today, per the FL T/U.

I think Wanny & Speilman have proved a lot this offseason, and if they are still willing to sign OG there must be a reason.

With the win now mentality, you need to have stable backups with experience. If #1 or #2 went down and OG came in it would be ok, if Tolver (who I'm very high on) came in, we'd be in trouble!

Back
Top Bottom