Jake Long’s decline creates dilemma for Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long’s decline creates dilemma for Dolphins

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/24/jake-longs-decline-creates-dilemma-for-dolphins/
Posted by Mike Florio on November 24, 2012, 9:59 PM EST
x350135e1353812149283-1.jpg
AP
In 2008, the Dolphins opted for left tackleJake Long over quarterback Matt Ryan. It was the safer pick and, through the first few years of Long’s career, an argument could be made that it was a six-of-one-half-dozen-of-another proposition.
More recently, it’s looking like the Fins got it wrong with Long.
Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald explains that Long has been declining in recent years.
“His run-blocking grades have rarely been the best among Miami’s offensive linemen,” Salguero writes. ”He no longer is playing like the best tackle in the NFL. He’s not even playing like the best tackle in his conference (Houston’s Duane Brown is that) or division (D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nate Solder have been better).”
Given that the final year of Long’s rookie contract has voided, Long will become a free agent in March absent a new contract. And with Long’s big-money, pre-rookie-wage-scale deal serving as the starting point for talks, it will be hard for the Dolphins to do a market-value deal without Long knowing his market value.
The only way Long will know his market value will be to go to market. And that’s where someone will make a bad football decision but a good business decision and overpay Long.
The only way for the Dolphins to avoid that would be to overpay Long now, or later via the franchise tag in February.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/24/v-print/3111919/decline-of-miami-dolphins-jake.html

By Armando Salguero
asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

clear.gif

LYNNE SLADKY / STF
Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) congratulates Miami Dolphins tight end Anthony Fasano (80) after scoring a touchdown during the second half of an NFL football game against the St. Louis Rams, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012 in Miami.To the right is Miami Dolphins tackle Jake Long (77).

Jake Long is the leading Pro Bowl vote-getter among NFL offensive tackles, so, barring a collapse of support from fans and his peers the next few weeks, he’s headed back to the same all-star game to which he has been voted every season he’s been in the NFL.That suggests Long is as good as he has ever been.
It also leads you to think the Dolphins should be feeling pretty good about having Long as their franchise left tackle and one of their cornerstone players.
Except that’s only the surface view of things and although all might seem fine to the Pro Bowl voters, all is most definitely not fine.
The truth is Long has not been playing up to his previous standards. The truth is Long is in the third season of a progressive decline because he played better in 2009 than in 2010, he played better in 2010 than 2011 and this has been his worst season so far.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/...ine-of-miami-dolphins-jake.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Jake Long but I would rather not throw 10 Million plus to a LT who stuggles with speed rushers and has been dinged up for the last 3 years. His body could be breaking down and if that happens and we have 10 Million plus a season on the books for 4-5 years or so it will set us back for years to come. IMO he has lived off of reputation for the last 3 years here. He seems to be a good leader on the team and again I like him, but not at that kind of money. I would rather take my chances finding a replacement for half as much or let Philbin decide who is a good young talent to replace him. While we could definitely do much worse at LT, as Long is still probably top 10 or so at his position, we could get more bang for the buck so to speak IMO. If I had to choose between 10 Million on Wallace or Jennings or 10 Million plus on Long I take Wallace or Jennings 10 times out of 10. And it isn't even close. And by the way, Long probably will command 12-14 Million per year.

How in the hell is Jake Long the leading LT in Pro Bowl voting? Do people actually watch the tape/games?

God the word elite is thrown around at obnoxious levels now! The dolphins have one damn elite player and that is our punter! Only Fields plays at a elite level week after week.

We have big holes at football's key positions: WR, DB, pass rush. I know it's not an ideal situation, but do we really need another hole at Tackle? Would he play under the franchise tag?

I like Jake Long but I would rather not throw 10 Million plus to a LT who stuggles with speed rushers and has been dinged up for the last 3 years. His body could be breaking down and if that happens and we have 10 Million plus a season on the books for 4-5 years or so it will set us back for years to come. IMO he has lived off of reputation for the last 3 years here. He seems to be a good leader on the team and again I like him, but not at that kind of money. I would rather take my chances finding a replacement for half as much or let Philbin decide who is a good young talent to replace him. While we could definitely do much worse at LT, as Long is still probably top 10 or so at his position, we could get more bang for the buck so to speak IMO. If I had to choose between 10 Million on Wallace or Jennings or 10 Million plus on Long I take Wallace or Jennings 10 times out of 10. And it isn't even close. And by the way, Long probably will command 12-14 Million per year.

The way he has played the fair thing would be for him to take his pay cut. That is doubtful to happen. He won't be a FIN without the franchise tag and a reluctant one with it.

God the word elite is thrown around at obnoxious levels now! The dolphins have one damn elite player and that is our punter! Only Fields plays at a elite level week after week.

Unreal and will only increase the absurdity of those who view popularity over performance as the reason to keep our "elite" left tackle :bobdole:

We have big holes at football's key positions: WR, DB, pass rush. I know it's not an ideal situation, but do we really need another hole at Tackle? Would he play under the franchise tag?

Looking around the league, name 10 starting LTs w/o using NFL.com or any other way to search them up.

Jake Long is nowhere near as good as he was 4 years ago. He is NOT worth 11+ million dollars. He wants that kind of money then he can walk. When an undersized guy like Dwight Freeney knocks Long on his arse and abuses him like a rented mule then he can leave. Long has looked downright embarassing at times this year. He isn't even our second best o-lineman!!!!

Getting rid of long is addition by subtraction. He's costing Miami money and tannehill qb hits. Miami can get an undrafted rookie to do what long is doing now....whiffing. But with less 0s on the dotted line.

The price is not right if he is franchised so I wouldn't advocate the team exercise the course of action. If Ireland or the next GM can't sign him to 7million with incentives of 2M based on performance than let Long reach FA market.

I watched Long a lot in the Buffalo game and he has too many plays that the defender gets the best of him. There were a few plays that Meriman just blew him up. I'm hoping his pride kicks in and he improves himself since he is still pretty young.

Back
Top Bottom