Jake Scott | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Scott

This thread is exactly what I was hoping to find here!

Jake Scott lives in Hanalei Bay on the island of Kauai and is doing well. These days, instead of picking bar fights, he will give someone $100 and tell them to leave the bar (and not come back) if they are getting out of hand. He also looks out for a local autistic gentleman.

Can anyone here fill me in any more as to what happened between he and Shula, the situation surrounding the trade, and how things went for Jake with the Redskins? Also, was he ever nominated to the hall of fame?

Ted Amenta said:
This thread is exactly what I was hoping to find here!

Jake Scott lives in Hanalei Bay on the island of Kauai and is doing well. These days, instead of picking bar fights, he will give someone $100 and tell them to leave the bar (and not come back) if they are getting out of hand. He also looks out for a local autistic gentleman.

Can anyone here fill me in any more as to what happened between he and Shula, the situation surrounding the trade, and how things went for Jake with the Redskins.

I know they fell out over something, but not sure what. BTW thx for letting u sknow how jakes getting on. Sounds like his past is something out of a Bruce Willis film--Or my local pub :evil:

Dick Anderson told me in his Office....

That Jake wouldn`t take a shot to play in a Pre-Season game.....then he and Shula got into to it over him not playing....They also did NOT like the NEW Defense Coach Shula hired after Bill A. left....then the next thing ya know he was traded away to Redskins...To this day has NOT been to any 17-0 Re-unions.......
That is from Dick Anderson...

That was one of the moronic trades in Dolphin history. Scott had made 5 straight Pro Bowls from '71 to '75, then we ship him in '76 during the season to the Redskins for a lanky and undistinguished safety named Bryant Salter. Plus we had to throw in a 4th round pick. Salter wasn't worth a 4th round pick, period. The disputes with Shula were well known and had gotten to the point a move was virtually guaranteed, so we paid the price.

I don't think Salter was even in Miami the following year. I laughed like hell when Hank Goldberg tried to insist after the lousy '76 season that Salter was coming on late in the year and would become a star player for the Dolphins. It was obvious he couldn't play. Scott played at least 2 or 3 years for the George Allen Over The Hill Gang in Washington. But he wasn't as high profile there so the end of his career didn't allow any Hall of Fame consideration. A Super Bowl MVP award late in the career plus the Pro Bowls might have done it, but not when everything was frontloaded.

Anderson and Scott were a joy to watch as a tandem. So cerebral. A pure SS and pure FS so no jockeying them around. Scott played deep and was always pointing out things before the play. He had great instincts and hands but was a jockey as a tackler, along for the ride.

Plus the two safeties were the punt returners, necessary on that bouncy Poly Turf. Anderson played up and Scott back. They never let the ball bounce which was terrific and saved field position time after time. Jake Scott's first memorable moment as a Dolphin was returning a punt for a TD against the mighty Colts in '70, his rookie year and the Dolphins breakout season under Shula. It was a huge game because Shula just left the Colts and we beat them at home 34-17. The white hankies dominated the Orange Bowl all afternoon. I have to chuckle at those who dismiss the Colts as a rival of ours. In the early '70s they were our chief rival by far then also throughout the Bert Jones years in the mid to late '70s when he was our nemesis.

Perfect72 said:
Anybody know whatever became of Jake Scott? What is he doing now? I saw some stuff on ESPN classic that he was a bit of recluse and even though he was very talented, and a consistent producer, he somehow got on Shula's bad side & got shipped to the Redskins. Anybody know his career stats? I thoght he was an awesome, ball-hawking free safety. I believe he had a lot of INT's in the '70's. Is he the all time leader in INT's for the Phins? I think some of the younger folks on the board would be interested to know more about the history of this great franchise.

Go Dolphins! :rawk:

Me Me Me

i heard in from some dolphin employes that jake does not talk to anyone from the organization anymore and that he has never participated in any of the dolphins alumni events

Was the season that Jake refused to take the pre-season game shot the same one that he was traded?

I remember watching Jake Scott and Dick Anderson, we had a great defense then. It seemed like our defense swarmed the ball all over the field and everyone fed off of each others intensity. There were many leaders on that defensive team and they had great chemistry.

I`ve stumped numerous people asking them who our Super Bowl MVP was in our undefeated 1972 season, nobody ever answers Jake Scott. He and Anderson were a hell of a combo (Curtis Johnson and Tim Foley at CB were pretty good too).

Awsi Dooger said:
That was one of the moronic trades in Dolphin history. Scott had made 5 straight Pro Bowls from '71 to '75, then we ship him in '76 during the season to the Redskins for a lanky and undistinguished safety named Bryant Salter. Plus we had to throw in a 4th round pick. Salter wasn't worth a 4th round pick, period. The disputes with Shula were well known and had gotten to the point a move was virtually guaranteed, so we paid the price.

I don't think Salter was even in Miami the following year. I laughed like hell when Hank Goldberg tried to insist after the lousy '76 season that Salter was coming on late in the year and would become a star player for the Dolphins. It was obvious he couldn't play. Scott played at least 2 or 3 years for the George Allen Over The Hill Gang in Washington. But he wasn't as high profile there so the end of his career didn't allow any Hall of Fame consideration. A Super Bowl MVP award late in the career plus the Pro Bowls might have done it, but not when everything was frontloaded.

Anderson and Scott were a joy to watch as a tandem. So cerebral. A pure SS and pure FS so no jockeying them around. Scott played deep and was always pointing out things before the play. He had great instincts and hands but was a jockey as a tackler, along for the ride.

Plus the two safeties were the punt returners, necessary on that bouncy Poly Turf. Anderson played up and Scott back. They never let the ball bounce which was terrific and saved field position time after time. Jake Scott's first memorable moment as a Dolphin was returning a punt for a TD against the mighty Colts in '70, his rookie year and the Dolphins breakout season under Shula. It was a huge game because Shula just left the Colts and we beat them at home 34-17. The white hankies dominated the Orange Bowl all afternoon. I have to chuckle at those who dismiss the Colts as a rival of ours. In the early '70s they were our chief rival by far then also throughout the Bert Jones years in the mid to late '70s when he was our nemesis.

How did I miss this thread.

The best pair of safetys to ever play together certainly wearing a Dolphin uniform.They could and did dominate games.

Jake unfortunately couldnt leave his aggresion on the field.He was bad tempered and stubborn a trait he shared with his coach.Something had to give.

As Dooger said it was a lame trade and as usual Fat Hank got it wrong.

Having been a big part of the SB teams I find it sad that Scott cannot find forgiveness in his heart and share memories of those glory days with his team mates.Maybe there is hope yet.

Csonka and Shula didnt always see eye to eye either but they have found reconciliation.

Back
Top Bottom