Jakeem Grant Return Issues | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant Return Issues

I like Grant. He’d have a place on my team any day. He has a huge heart. He plays bigger than he is. He has game changing quickness and speed. He takes some balls to the house from anywhere on the field every year. He’s a no 5 WR and a potential game breaker on ST or w a gimmick play. What’s not to like about having a guy like that on your team on the relatively cheap?

Honestly... because I think we can do so much better. We have two tall flanks and Ford to back them up. The slot is Wilson, until draft day when we take one in the first two rounds. At best, Grant is a 5th receiver and ideally, your 5 is a younger, cheaper player who is ascending.

He isn't ascending, we've seen everything Grant has... this is his ceiling, and his punt returns scare the Hell out of everyone here. Nice guy, but we need to churn him out.

Honestly... because I think we can do so much better. We have two tall flanks and Ford to back them up. The slot is Wilson, until draft day when we take one in the first two rounds. At best, Grant is a 5th receiver and ideally, your 5 is a younger, cheaper player who is ascending.

He isn't ascending, we've seen everything Grant has... this is his ceiling, and his punt returns scare the Hell out of everyone here. Nice guy, but we need to churn him out.
But we’ve also seen stop-start quickness and acceleration that we’ve never seen on this team before. I’d be afraid to throw the towel in on that.

But we’ve also seen stop-start quickness and acceleration that we’ve never seen on this team before. I’d be afraid to throw the towel in on that.
Honestly, do you ever think he'll be better than he is right now?

That's my question and I say, "no", but it's just my opinion man. (sorry dude)

Honestly, do you ever think he'll be better than he is right now?

That's my question and I say, "no", but it's just my opinion man. (sorry dude)
No not really. But I like him as the player he is and has been. He’s turned games for us. He’s cheap for the game breaking abilities he brings. As a no 5 WR we could do so much worse. He’s a role player and I’m good w that. When Tua plays, perhaps he gets more plays called that feature him?

Rhythm? I just want him to catch the ball cleanly.

Ridiculous catches??? You mean catching passes that would be too short for a regular sized WR?

Admit it, every punt you hold your breath when he catches it because the muffs are more consistent. Every Kick-off you are saying to yourself "just down it in the endzone" hoping he doesn't run it out to the 15 or 20 before he's pounded. And when he does catch it clean, you whisper to your pillow "just run forward, not back for negative yards".
C'mon now. He routinely returns kicks from then end zone to the 16.

I cringe every time he stands back to take a punt... Put someone else there...

Having said that we should not dump him mid season. There is no need. Give him MORE touches not less... Give him a couple jet sweeps, some WR screens, and even run him out of the backfield on a wheel route or two. Be creative and use his strength - speed - without putting too much on his weakness - catching the ball.

Post Script; Whether you like him or not - I get the feeling he will be easily upgraded in the next draft.

Grant was dynamic today. That 30 yard catch and run from Fitz was underrated because we turned it over after that instead of putting more points up before the half. His long PR was a play only a guy with his quickness and speed can make. If you can get 1-3 plays like that from him most weeks (big, chunk plays) that alters the complexion of the game in your favor.

Grant was dynamic today. That 30 yard catch and run from Fitz was underrated because we turned it over after that instead of putting more points up before the half. His long PR was a play only a guy with his quickness and speed can make. If you can get 1-3 plays like that from him most weeks (big, chunk plays) that alters the complexion of the game in your favor.
I agree but it’s seems far and few between. Hopefully he strings some games together.

Back
Top Bottom