Jakeem Grant | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant

Might be his last chance. No question he can play. No question he’s electrifying. No question he can house it anytime the ball is in his hands.

But.

Injuries, hand/concentration issues linger.

Personally, I’m very proud of the kid. Sure he was given world class speed but he still defied the odds for someone that size to not only make it on an NFL team but show enough to warrant an extension securely himself and his families financial well being for life.

Crispy routes, electric speed, compact body size with great cuts. I still like the kids upside if his hands develop further. Guy is killer as a return man. Most likely his last opportunity in Miami.....Hope he makes the most of it.

He's definitely an electric return guy and he's had his moments as a receiver, but they've been sporadic. Let's see if he can make the most of his chance this summer to be that 4 or 5 receiver.

Outside of kickoffs, personally think some of the best utility for him is coming out of the backfield like Cohen ... with occasional 3-4 WR sets ... no one can cover him out of the backfield .....

His career stats as a WR would be about an average season for a middle of the road WR. He is grossly overpaid for his record of performance and he has plenty of competition for WR depth on the roster so he needs to either step up or step aside.

Not forgotten.

Want to keep him, BUT . . .
There is a talent to returning punts - he seemingly doesn't have it.
KR/PR - the guy doesn't have to be 'the fastest.' Just fast and quick enough to beat the D.
Hands - I'll not elaborate.
Seems to have trouble beating press. That's not a deal killer, but Flo/Gailey need to develop ways to get him open.

In spite of the above, he's a D-killer. Just being on the field often commits two players to give him attention. And, if DVP/PW/MG can return to '19 form, he should be open a lot more. I agree with others, this is his chance to show he belongs.

Every team needs a couple of players to surprise and excel.
A rookie wins a start spot or a young guy suddenly blossoms.
Maybe Grant can do that.

His career stats as a WR would be about an average season for a middle of the road WR. He is grossly overpaid for his record of performance and he has plenty of competition for WR depth on the roster so he needs to either step up or step aside.
Harsh, but accurate.

I like the kid, but it is what it is.

One thing he has, is rare open field speed/skill. He is also a good kick returner. Punts, not so much.

Those type roster spots are often chosen for a combination of things. Special teams value, versatility, intangibles, development projection, etc are all figured into the decision.

Back
Top Bottom