Jakeem Grant | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant

I continue to be nervous every time he is getting ready to catch a punt. I really like his potential, but he's not getting younger. Age crushes speed.

Interesting take that I strongly disagree with on a couple levels. Physical prime for an athlete is usually in their late 20s, physical abuse notwithstanding. And speed doesn't usually diminish until an athlete is in their early/mid 30s. Grant is 27.

This may be Grant's last chance, but I'm rooting like hell for him. I love that guy...

It's not as simple as that, IMO.

Its about leverage and strength in technique getting free of coverage when working from the slot.

I'm not saying impossible, but Gramt is at a "real" size disadvantage, when in contact.

Open field, no question, he can just flat out move.

MY thought is are you really at that much more of a disadvantage at 5'7 than you were at 5'9. Or from a Dolphins comparison... is Grant really at that much more of a physical disadvantage than Albert Wilson? Of course if all things are equal I would prefer a 6' receiver over a 5'8 receiver, but I'm just wondering is Grant at 5'7 really at that much of a greater disadvantage than some of the 5'9 receivers that don't catch as much flak about their size as Grant does.

I felt like a couple of years ago, the entire offensive dynamic was changing when both he and Wilson were healthy and starting to blow up opponents. It's like we were figuring out how to leverage their speed to our advantage. The injuries came close together, and at an awful time when I really believed the offense was being built around their speed. So much of the success guys like that (small but super fast) is dependent on the offensive scheme figuring out ways to get them out in the open. While I don't feel like Jakeem is anywhere near Tyreek Hill's level (overall), wouldn't it be interesting to see what Reid would do with him in that offense?

MY thought is are you really at that much more of a disadvantage at 5'7 than you were at 5'9. Or from a Dolphins comparison... is Grant really at that much more of a physical disadvantage than Albert Wilson? Of course if all things are equal I would prefer a 6' receiver over a 5'8 receiver, but I'm just wondering is Grant at 5'7 really at that much of a greater disadvantage than some of the 5'9 receivers that don't catch as much flak about their size as Grant does.
Being 5'9" is one thing, but height does become an issue at a certain point. How many WRs are playing at a high level at Jakeem's size?

Last edited:
Would love to see him in a game with Tua at the helm. Tua throws such a tight precise and catchable deep ball in front of the receivers, if Grant got behind the defense...It's over.

If he dont step his game up this yr. I dont know if he will be on dolphins team in 2021. Dolphins probably will draft a bigtime wr next yr.

Underrated...NO
underachiever ...YES

Underachiever? Grand was a late 6th round pick in 2016 here are the other wrs drafted in the 6th and 7th round that year. I think Grant has out performed all of them.
Moritz Bohringer
Keenan Reynolds
Grant
Kolby Listenbee
Cory Core
Mike Thomas
Aaron Burbridge
Devin Lucein
Demarcus Ayers
Daniel Braveman
Devin Fuller
Cherone Peake
Kenny Lawler

I think sometimes it's more of a case of fans expecting more production from a late round pick than is realistic. I'm not says you can't be a high producing late round pick, but in reality if you're still in the league after 2 or 3 years as a 6th or 7th round pick you're likely ahead of the curve. I mean we already have fans talking about Malcolm Perry as a future high producing slot receiver and he limited experience at the position in college. If Perry proves to be Grant's equal as a receiver and return I think that should be counted as a win, not underachieving.

Back
Top Bottom