JaMarr Chase | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JaMarr Chase

CK - fantastic write up on Chase. Compelling stuff and honestly, an observation I haven't heard. I always try to compare successful players and previous systems, as well as the competition, but you did so in a much more precise manner. I didnt realize how poorly Chase did compared to Smith against the "elite" CB squad of the SEC.

Miami needs a dominant every down WR who can play every game for multiple seasons with a #3 overall investment (see Larry Fitzgerald #3 overall to AZ).

Smith is what 6" 1' 175lb.? I'm hesitant to invest a #3 overall pick in a guy that lean. The Ferrari belongs on the race track not in the demolition derby. When he gets hurt, will he be able to return as the same player? Smith seems to be best-suited to a great team looking to add a play maker on the outside.

Chase seems to be the better fit, but If he is not as good against top SEC CBs as is suggested, then I hesitate to spend #3 on him either.

Maybe they are both a bit overrated and not great choices for a team with many needs inside and out on both sides of the ball.

Miami should consider moving down from #3 for a WR or pick a long-term blue chip player at another position there (OT Sewell?) and use the WR depth in this draft to their advantage. Terrace Marshall seems like a better fit/value at this stage. Miami also has the advantage of coaching at the Senior Bowl and will get to watch and know lesser known receiver talents from everywhere.

Trading for Watson would be another possibility. In that case, reaching for the top shelf WRs would make more sense. Discussion for another day.

RW

I am afraid that by the end of this process Jamarr Chase is going to be the worst WR in this class. ;)

An argument could be made that a TE like Pitts could help Tua more than Chase or Smith.

I would not pick Pitts ahead of either WR but in a trade down situation If they missed both WR's and Pitts was there i would not cry at all.
Smith with 1A, Pitts with 1B (trade up).

Love Najee, but let’s go get some real blue chip difference makers.

I am afraid that by the end of this process Jamarr Chase is going to be the worst WR in this class. ;)
Only if we let Finheaven narrate the story....

I used to really want Chase. But the more I think about it...

I just don't feel good about him sitting out. I went back and looked at the circumstances at the time and what he said, and I'm just not buying it.

"This is what is best for my family." "I cannot ignore what I feel in my heart and this is the best decision for me."
The first comment to his tweet was "Opt out? How about cop out." - and I agree. If he didn't have the year he had in 2019-2020 then he would have surely taken the field like everyone else. He knew he was projected to be the top WR going into the 2021 draft and said "that's enough for me." "I've got my payday now so I'll just sit."

I don't like this at all. Not one bit. If you can't even trust him when it concerns placement in the NFL draft...how can you trust him when it concerns a contract worth TENS of MILLIONS of dollars? Will it be "all about his family then, too?"
How about his family on the field? Will he only give it 100% when it concerns his pay? Will he threaten to sit? Will he be a diva like Irvin (who he is often compared to?)

What if it wasn't just the $...look at what happened to LSU's roster. They had 2 people returning from the season prior. What if he just said "to hell with that...if we ain't repeating then I'm not playin." Could he be a quitter when things get tough? Could he give < 100% on plays in games? Where is his passion for the game?

Nope. The decision for me is clear.
I'll pass on his "physicality" and go with the sure-bet in Smith. With Smith you know you're getting a loyal, committed, and exceptionally hard worker. His character is tier 1. He will be an amazing locker room presence. He is the superior prospect in terms of character, passion, and professionalism. He has HOF written all over him in that department. He also looks to be better than Chase in several areas on the field as well.

I'll pass on Chase. If you're investing #3 in a WR...they better be HOF caliber in those character intangibles. Smith fits the bill. Chase does not. It's that simple. I'd be happy with him in a trade down...but if we're sitting at #3 and going WR...the decision is clear.

Last edited:

I just don't feel good about him sitting out. I went back and looked at the circumstances at the time and what he said, and I'm just not buying it.

"This is what is best for my family." "I cannot ignore what I feel in my heart and this is the best decision for me."
The first comment to his tweet was "Opt out? How about cop out." - and I agree. If he didn't have the year he had in 2019-2020 then he would have surely taken the field like everyone else. He knew he was projected to be the top WR going into the 2021 draft and said "that's enough for me." "I've got my payday now so I'll just sit."

I don't like this at all. Not one bit. If you can't even trust him when it concerns placement in the NFL draft...how can you trust him when it concerns a contract worth TENS of MILLIONS of dollars? Will it be "all about his family then, too?"
How about his family on the field? Will he only give it 100% when it concerns his pay? Will he threaten to sit? Will he be a diva like Irvin (who he is often compared to?)

What if it wasn't just the $...look at what happened to LSU's roster. They had 2 people returning from the season prior. What if he just said "to hell with that...if we ain't repeating then I'm not playin." Could he be a quitter when things get tough? Could he give < 100% on plays in games? Where is his passion for the game?

I'll pass on his "physicality" and go with the sure-bet in Smith. With Smith you know you're getting a loyal, committed, and exceptionally hard worker. His character is tier 1. He will be an amazing locker room presence. He is the superior prospect in terms of character, passion, and professionalism. He has HOF written all over him in that department. He also looks to be better than Chase in several areas on the field as well.

I'll pass on Chase. If you're investing #3 in a WR...they better be HOF caliber in those character intangibles. Smith fits the bill. Chase does not. It's that simple. I'd be happy with him in a trade down...but if we're sitting at #3 and going WR...the decision is clear.
Obviously, most of the opt outs made a business decision. That's fine, as long as they man up and admit they took advantage of the situation.

The ones that annoy me are the ones that bailed on their teams for their bowl games. Or claimed to opt out for corona reasons, yet they'll still attend a pro day or would've attended the combine.

The ones that really cream my corn are the ones that opt out and then come back for the Senior Bowl.

Bottom line for Chase is that he has a decent chance of being a good WR in the NFL, but ZERO chance of being elite in the NFL. You don’t take him top 10 if he doesn’t have a chance at being an exceptional player. I’m not sure I’d even take him in the 1st round. Also, I have real issue with Chase choosing to sit out this year, and he didn’t skip the season due to Covid. It’s a stark contract to Devonta Smith, who opted to play in the Senior Bowl with nothing to gain.

I think it's bold to go after a guy for making a decision like that. If he made that decision for legit reasons, I'm not going to knock it. Intensely personal decision, one that does affect family, during unprecedented times.

But I'd be investigating whether the guy was, for example, out at bars and clubs during the pandemic, after having decided not to play football supposedly due to the pandemic.

What I find interesting is that a lot of Dolphins fans absolutely hate the idea of signing Juju Smith-Schuster, because of his trash talking, and then they turn around and want Ja'Marr Chase. He talked a bunch of trash about Parnell Motley to the media before that game, and then got BLANKED by Motley in the game. He never caught a pass on Parnell. Burrow looked at him a few times and had to check off it. When Burrow did throw that way, Motley broke it up.

I would think that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you don't want Juju because he has fun with the game and talks some trash, you'd think these people would be all about Devonta Smith instead of Ja'Marr Chase. But maybe they're just unaware.

Excellent post.

I also agree with CK that guys who opted out should be investigated heavily. If you opted out for safety reasons due to the pandemic, then that's fine. Hey, I did too. I'm working from home by choice (and damn it's nice, gonna continue forever if I can). But if any of these opt outs have any social media posts or anything else that contradicts their safety measures with football, then that player should be completely removed from the draft board, IMO.

And this is something that will matter to some teams, and not others. I'd imagine Brian Flores is one of those guys with input who will have some questions regarding the validity of any opt outs.

I'm not sure how I feel about those opting out. There are legitimate safety reasons, of course, but there is also just selfish or probably more accurately, 'some things are more important to me than football' reasons (.ie money). It's difficult to know what's in one's heart, but it's also foolish to pretend it doesn't matter. Arguably, drive is as, if not more, important than talent. If I'm choosing between a guy with absolutely no question marks and a guy who may or may not have question marks, then, if the talent is close at all, the guy with absolutely no question marks is an easy, easy choice. Clearly, the scouts and background investigators will earn their money this season.

Reality is that I personally don't have football at the top of my list. I'm more about work/life balance. I think that leads to a healthier, happier life in the long-term. But my employer, particularly if it's in a profession with a shorter duration, would prefer me to be a fanatical, committed workaholic. And those guys who end up being special like a Michael Jordan or a Jerry Rice or a Tom Brady, etc, don't tend to be poster boys for a healthy work/life balance. They tend to be fanatics. They have chips on their shoulders over imagined slights. They run hills so so fearsome that other workaholic athletes think they're insane. They take their shoulder pads with them on vacation so they can get workouts in on the beach. A big part of what makes the NFL draft a crap shoot is that you can't measure heart. The NFL just measures things like size and speed. If that's primarily what you're looking at then you'll always end up right/wrong about 50/50 of the time. IMO if you get a hint that guy may be one of those fanatics, who'll do whatever it takes to succeed or a hint that he isn't one of those guys that will do whatever it takes to succeed, you have to factor that in. It will make your odds of hitting in the draft much, much better.

Chase opted out because Burrow wouldn’t be there to elevate his stats. His opt out was entirely related to preserving his top 10 rating. Let’s not pretend there was any other reason. I’d also be surprised if he runs at the combine/pro day events.

Back
Top Bottom