James Walker (ESPN) thinks Miami has a QB controversy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

James Walker (ESPN) thinks Miami has a QB controversy

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/44382/pre-camp-grades-dolphins

Funny thing is he later contradicts himself by stating the QB's aren't sniping at each other and it hasn't divided the locker.

Where do they find these guys???

Amongst other things he thinks the defense is overrated, questions Coach Philbin's game management skills, and doesn't think the offense can score enough points. Also imaginary and irrelevant grades are given.

One of the few positives he pointed out was that we have a good locker room due to our decent finish last season.

I guess what I'm wondering is could this clown be even remotely right? Is their a controversy brewing in South Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The Dolphins do have a QB controversy
2. It IS nice that in this case the QBs are getting along well and not sniping at one another
3. It IS appropriate to question Philbin's game management as a rookie coach that never called plays, until he shows he has the skills
4. The offense probably will not score enough points
5. The 6-3 finish does fuel confidence in the locker room that they can win even if our QB is mediocre
6. Something negative I would add that James Walker didn't, is that Miami's RBs unit is weaker for this system than people think

2. It IS nice that in this case the QBs are getting along well and not sniping at one another
3. It IS appropriate to question Philbin's game management as a rookie coach that never called plays, until he shows he has the skills
5. The 6-3 finish does fuel confidence in the locker room that they can win even if our QB is mediocre
6. Something negative I would add that James Walker didn't, is that Miami's RBs unit is weaker for this system than people think

I like the points but i do disagree with #6, i think reggie bush and lamar miller will succeed in this new scheme and i have a hard time seeing where daniel thomas will fit except for a short down back and endzone back

(1) Not sure I'd call it a 'controversy' yet. No one's been named, so can't truely be a controversy. It's actually more of a competition, which is odd to say for this team
(2) Yes, it is nice...but who really knows.
(3) Totally agree, but from what I've read about Philbin, I have confidence in his abilities.
(4) I'm optimistic we can score enough points, that remains to be seen.
(5) Momentum can be a huge factor in how we come out the gate. I think there may be some valid points about our defense. Can they be good when it really counts?
(6) I somewhat disagree with you on this one. I think Bush fits the bill well for this offense...especially from a flexiblity standpoint. We'll see how our rookie does, but I think where we lack some, to your point, is depth. Even though there is a backlog at RB, are they well suited enough for this type of offense? A lot of unknowns at this stage for sure.

We shall see.....

I'd love for you to expand on this. There are certainly a bunch of ifs'.. can Bush repeat, can Thomas stay healthy, can Miller show he's fully healthy and stick his head in at the pro level, can Messam be that big back?... but...I see talent and depth..

Ta.

#5 Momentum to end a season can sometimes carry over depending on the situation, like the Lions when they embarassed Miami at home 2 seasons ago and i beleive they had won their last 5 games to end the season and we saw what they did last year, given there were multiple factors including Stafford but winning your last 3 games vs losing them to end a season can make a difference major or minor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Phlbin wasn't going to be calling plays here either

What is wrong with having a QB controversy? It is not like the THREE quarterbacks we have are pro bowl caliber QB's, so may the best man win. I think this is a good thing.

I like the points but i do disagree with #6, i think reggie bush and lamar miller will succeed in this new scheme and i have a hard time seeing where daniel thomas will fit except for a short down back and endzone back

Lamar Miller is a rookie that needs a lot of weight room development, and he's currently buried on the depth chart behind Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. I would be more inclined to agree with you if I thought this coaching staff would be quick to give up on Daniel Thomas and put Lamar Miller out there to run the ball in the same situations last year's coaches normally would've put Daniel in, but I don't think they will. I think they will keep on with Daniel Thomas until he's well proven his inadequacy. Or maybe he'll succeed and I'm wrong. Also possible. But either way I think Lamar right now in their minds is a very limited use weapon, and he'll have to scratch and claw for more than that. Therefore, it's not appropriate in my opinion to make him a big consideration in the evaluation of this tailback unit. Even if they do start using him more, it'll be half the year before that happens, then you'll only have Miller running for half the year, and he could run into the rookie wall at some point as well.

Lamar Miller is a rookie that needs a lot of weight room development, and he's currently buried on the depth chart behind Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. I would be more inclined to agree with you if I thought this coaching staff would be quick to give up on Daniel Thomas and put Lamar Miller out there to run the ball in the same situations last year's coaches normally would've put Daniel in, but I don't think they will. I think they will keep on with Daniel Thomas until he's well proven his inadequacy. Or maybe he'll succeed and I'm wrong. Also possible. But either way I think Lamar right now in their minds is a very limited use weapon, and he'll have to scratch and claw for more than that. Therefore, it's not appropriate in my opinion to make him a big consideration in the evaluation of this tailback unit. Even if they do start using him more, it'll be half the year before that happens, then you'll only have Miller running for half the year, and he could run into the rookie wall at some point as well.
well some maintain reggie bush's season last year was an anomoly, so that being the case lamar should see the field a good deal this year.

We may be playing with house money on Reggie at this point, so to rely on him... may be a mistake. He really wasn't doing much in the beginning of the season. I expect Daniel Thomas to take over, to be quite honest. I just like his running style so much more. He reminds me of James Starks

Back
Top Bottom