January 14th, 1973 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

January 14th, 1973

SCall13

Finheaven QB
Reaction score
It was January the 14th, 1973- and the minutes were ticking away in fourth quarter of Super Bowl VII. The Miami Dolphins held the Washington Redskins scoreless while managing to put 14 points on the board. It looked like a shut out was in the making. Then it happened: Garo Yepremium, Miami's diminutive soccer style kicker, had a 42 yard field goal batted back at him by the charging Redskins. He picked it up for a split second, with Washington linemen clawing their way toward him. The unwanted ball must have felt like a bomb ready to explode in Garo's hands.
Suddenly, he knew what he had to do: GET RID of it. He put the ball into the air, completing a pass to Mike Bass,who, because he was Washington Redskin, carried it all the way back down field for a Washington touchdown.
Despite the generosity, the Miami Dolphins maintained a 14-7 lead to win the game and become the first championship team in NFL history to win every game of the season.

I wrote this when I was a kid for a short school report. I remember the pride I felt back then to be a Dolphin fan. I found this in some of my old junk and felt that pride again. After so long with Wanny and JJ, I forgot how it felt to have pride in our team. I think Saban will bring that pride back. Go Dolphins!!!

Hearing about Garo Yepremian made me a Dolphin fan. When you look back at it, it's just ridiculously funny.

Jaj said:
Hearing about Garo Yepremian made me a Dolphin fan. When you look back at it, it's just ridiculously funny.

It is funny, but had we lost, poor Garo would be the biggest goat in, not only Super Bowl history- but NFL history.

....kind of ironic...If Garo would have made that field goal the final score probably would have been 17-0

FinsDontGiveIn said:
....kind of ironic...If Garo would have made that field goal the final score probably would have been 17-0

Ha! Cool point. That would have capped it perfectly. (No pun intended)

SCall13 said:
It is funny, but had we lost, poor Garo would be the biggest goat in, not only Super Bowl history- but NFL history.
yeah....now it's Scott Norwood. :roflmao:

Not only the pride we USUALLY have, but the ****YNESS. I know when we're playing good, I have a big smack-talking mouth cause I know we can beat anybody.

BringBackShula said:
Not only the pride we USUALLY have, but the ****YNESS. I know when we're playing good, I have a big smack-talking mouth cause I know we can beat anybody.

Yeah, it feels pretty good to be able to talk S*#* and know your team will be able to back it up for you. :D

WHOOO!!! That was the day I was born, January 14th. Except 13yrs later in 1986. close though.

Back
Top Bottom