Jason Allen (not looking like a starting caliber player) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Allen (not looking like a starting caliber player)

All he's got is speed? You've got to be kidding me. You can coach avoiding blown coverages. You can't coach speed.

He is a rookie he barely played last season with Tennessee last year because of that injury he needs time to get back in playing mentality.Take it easy on him.

Frank Suglio said:
He's not fast enough to be a man to man corner that we need, and he's not physical enough to make a impact at safety can we say over paid nickle and dime back.

sure

Dmancari23 said:
Well, I have to admit, I was and still am very critical of this whole Jason Allen experiment. The guy looks absolutely lost. I don't care about the time he's missed. I think back and look back to the rookie seasons of Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams and I am thinking we got owned with this pick. I questioned the pick from day 1. I'm extremely dissapointed that we passed on guys like Winston Justice, Chad Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, and Manny Lawson for this guy. I am a big Gators fan and watch alot of SEC football and this guy was nothing special at Tennessee.. I am hating this pick more than ever now. I know everyone will hate my opinion and say it's only preseason. That's a bunch of crock. There's plenty of guys out there making plays even though it's preseason. I hope he ends up being good, but wow is he making Saban look like an idiot for reaching and drafting him so early.
How quick do you expect the guy to memorize the playbook?? He's playing with guys he's NEVER played with before, and the guys he's playing with aren't going to make the team....give the guy some time before you jump off the roof

jesuscakes said:
I saw him at Tennessee multiple times and he never impressed. He would make a few good tackles occasionally but all in all he was mediocre at best. Let me guess he missed training camp with the Vols too and they have the most complicated defense in the history of the world? :shakeno:

"Mediocre at best"? This guy was gonna be a top 5 pick before the injury. he may have well been drafted ahead of Huff. I also watched him play a number of games at Tenn. and he was an extremely athletic player in an average Tenn. defense.

depac33 said:
wait, did I miss the part where I said College was like the pros......And I never said "plug and play" god like talking to my girlfriend....puttin all these words in my mouth. I said he has been playing DB for yrs and knows how to play the position, and about the scheme thing, a perfect example is the triangle offense in NBA.....its worked in the past because there were talented players to pull it off.....And I also never said that training camp was useless, but stop making excuses for him, if he's not doing well in 6 will you play the same cards? I hope he does well, but from what I've seen he doesn't look like much now.That doesn't mean he wont.The beautiful thing about this thread is in the end we all want the same thing, better players. Some think its too soon to cast stones, hey whatever, I just want to make the playoffs. If he helps us get there I will be overjoyed.

:lol: She doesn't talk to me like that. By you saying that him having played the position for years, maybe I went out on a limb by assuming you were referring to his college years. :rolleyes2 Assuming he can just pick up the pro level like nothing is absurd, and that IS what you are saying. "All he has to do is learn coverage schemes." Oh really? That seems like a pretty plug and play view to me. By saying that his missing training camp had no effect is saying that training camp is overrated. Just because you didn't use those words to describe it doesn't make it an incorrect association. For example, if you were describing a bird that can be found in ponds and goes quack, I wouldn't be "putting words in your mouth" by saying it's a duck.

And no, 6 (weeks? months?) won't be enough to label him a bust either. Sorry, but some players just take longer to adapt to the pro level. Plaxico Burress is a perfect example. If you think he should be performing better, that is one thing, but to say that he is a bust like most of the naysayers in this thread have been is ridiculous. If he is making the same mental mistakes in two years, then I will label him a bust. In the meantime, at the most I will be disappointed with his progression; but I am not even that at this point because it is too flargin' early. Stop being so damn impatient with a rookie learning two positions that are more than just "coverage schemes."

jesuscakes said:
I saw him at Tennessee multiple times and he never impressed. He would make a few good tackles occasionally but all in all he was mediocre at best. Let me guess he missed training camp with the Vols too and they have the most complicated defense in the history of the world? :shakeno:
:lol: mediocre at best? :lol: Must be a Vols hater. I don't get it. I don't like Tennessee either, but I don't understand not liking players just for that reason. One of the top rated safeties in a fairly well stocked class this year, and he is mediocre. Right. Again, it's either that or you wanted someone else to be drafted and would settle for nothing else. Any other reason would be completely irrational this early in the season.

depac33 said:
wait, did I miss the part where I said College was like the pros......And I never said "plug and play" god like talking to my girlfriend....puttin all these words in my mouth. I said he has been playing DB for yrs and knows how to play the position, and about the scheme thing, a perfect example is the triangle offense in NBA.....its worked in the past because there were talented players to pull it off.....And I also never said that training camp was useless, but stop making excuses for him, if he's not doing well in 6 will you play the same cards? I hope he does well, but from what I've seen he doesn't look like much now.That doesn't mean he wont.The beautiful thing about this thread is in the end we all want the same thing, better players. Some think its too soon to cast stones, hey whatever, I just want to make the playoffs. If he helps us get there I will be overjoyed.

So you're telling me he's not going to be a better player in year 2, than he is now in the preseason with less than a month of practices?

depac33 said:
And on that note..maybe he should simplify his plays, if you dont have the personnel to run the scheme you have then you should adapt to what you do have.

Your talking about Saban here. He's going to keep running it till they get it. He also isn't going to throw him easier plays for his benefit at the expense of the rest of the secondary. Allen needs to learn live fire. Everyone also forgets that most rookie DB's usually don't make instant impacts. So everyone that's expecting an all pro right off the bat is 9 times out of 10 going to be disappointed.

The good sign though is that he isn't getting beat physically and outside of that one bomb that he got chewed out for he covered the deep middle very well when he was playing Safety.

Dolfan984 said:
So you're telling me he's not going to be a better player in year 2, than he is now in the preseason with less than a month of practices?
Careful, he didn't say exactly that, so you are putting words in his mouth. :lol:

BigDogsHunt said:
Let me quess....you really wanted and looked at Lawson 2/5ths of the time when compared to the other 3???? (Actually who was the real 5th player you wanted?)

P.S. Allen will be fine. Being on the field for two preseason TD's does not a defensive failure make.
I did that as a joke. However, let me just clarify one thing. I never said the guy would be a bust. To make a statement like that would be ridiculous and I would expect to get plastered for it. I am just not a fan of what I've seen, and having watched him for the last few years in SEC football when he was actually on the field, my opinion of the guy would've been as an early 2nd round pick. I want more than anything for the guy to succeed because ultimately I don't want to have a wasted 1st round pick. For the people who said he was a bust, that's crazy. From what we've seen so far he looks like practice squad filler... and I'm not the only one who thinks so, but can he develop into a decent player, sure.. and God I hope he does.

Here's my question: How many of you actually think Jason Allen will be our starter against Pittsburgh? I don't think he starts.

Vertical Limit said:
Here's my question: How many of you actually think Jason Allen will be our starter against Pittsburgh? I don't think he starts.
It doesn't matter to me. If he is ready then yes, if not then no. Jason Allen does not determine how our season goes. I want him on the field when he is ready, and that could take time.

i think jason allen will be a starter by the end of the season FOR SURE.

he has a ton of talent, i dont know what player you guys are watching.

if he gave up 1 long gain per game for the entire preseason it wouldnt be bad because the fact that he is a rookie is the biggest arguement.

i mean step back for a moment, imagine yourself in his shoes.

you are a rookie, everything is new for you, especially in 2 positions in a complex defense...YOU JUST GOT TO CAMP 2 WEEKS AGO WHY ARE THEY RUSHING ME!!!

so you play, and you dont get beat, you dont get beat, 20 plays later, you dont get beat.

on the 40th defensive play of the game you get beat, once, and then never again the rest of the game, you made a rookie mistake because of this or because of that.

thats it.

being a rookie, barely 2 weeks into the position behind everyone else adding that he is a rookie and that he is learning two positions at once...im shocked how you guys expect him to start out PERFECT.

i mean seeing yourself in his shoes, you play a solid game but make ONE mistake in the game, you consider yourself a failure? no its a learning process

i dont even think jason allen is playing bad, there is a difference between playing bad and making a bad defensive play.

while i'm here i might as well make another prediction: dolphins start out a bit slow, 3-3 but then pick it up to finish the season 7-3 and end up with a 10-6 record and the afc east title

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/15329585.htm

Allen reiterated that he has no qualms about playing safety and cornerback and said his shaky performance so far is eerily similar to his experience at the University of Tennessee.
``I got there and guys were like, `Where'd they get this guy? Is he on scholarship?'
``Everything was all new for me. I didn't know what to do until I caught onto the system.''

That was somewhat of a backhanded compliment I guess ,I hope it works here as it did in Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom