Jason Garrett: Interesting Choice | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Garrett: Interesting Choice

Dolfan1000

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I was looking over our list of coaches, and it got me thinking. Saban put together one helluva staff, and one name jumped out at me as different from the rest: Jason Garrett. Not that I necessarily think this was a BAD choice, but doesnt it seem like the QB coach would be one of the most important hires on this particular club, and that maybe a guy with some experience would have been a better choice? I dont doubt Nick for a second, but it seems like this addition was strange and Im curious to hear the rest of your opinions.

He has experience. He was an assistant coach in Tampa for Gruden.

Well, considering he played in the NFL for around 10 years I'm sure he has some experience. I don't think he'd be on the coaching staff if Saban didn't think he was up to 'par'

Like I said, Im not saying its necessarily bad, but it certainly doesnt follow the "trend" of Nick's other hires.

Did Saban hire him??? Wasn't he hired a week or two after the end of last season?

Yes, Saban hired him.

He was acting as our 3rd QB at the end of last season.

I feel that Garrett was a pretty good choice at QB coach. He has much knowledge of the game and he was taught but some real good QB's while he was playing.

plus his dad is/was a coach and his brother is a longtime QB coach

FemaleFinFan said:
When was he a coach? Did he coach and then go back to playing because he was our third stringer last year.

This is some weird stuff...Maybe he is reffering to someone else who coached with Gruden in Tampa Bay..Gruden is only entering his 3rd season I believe with the Bucs...Last year he was our 3rd string QB that i think we picked up late in the season.

BenchFiedler said:
This is some weird stuff...Maybe he is reffering to someone else who coached with Gruden in Tampa Bay..Gruden is only entering his 3rd season I believe with the Bucs...Last year he was our 3rd string QB that i think we picked up late in the season.

He was a backup QB for the Bucc's, not a coach.

Two things -

1. We don't know WHAT his precise duties are;
2. We don't know how well he performs them.

Bottom line, we don't know jack.

Keep in mind that Scott Linehan is something of a QB coach himself, he's known to have dealt with Daunté a lot the past few years.

PhinDude88 said:
I feel that Garrett was a pretty good choice at QB coach. He has much knowledge of the game and he was taught but some real good QB's while he was playing.

Jason Garrett is extremely intelligent. Has a passion for the game, comes from a football family. He was never the most physically talented guy, but he worked extremely hard and used his intelligence to make it as a backup for ten years or more. I think he is a great hire. We will see, but he has the pedigree and teh intelligence to be good.

Back
Top Bottom