Jason Pierre-Paul | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Pierre-Paul

Mako

Active Roster
Reaction score
I've seen some mocks where this is Miami's pick at #12.

When it comes to prospects, there may not be one with a higher ceiling than JPP.

He started playing football in his junior year of high school, and only had one season on the Division I level, while spending two in the JUCO ranks.

He really looked like a man amongst boys in his one season at South Florida. His speed and athleticism were off the charts, and he racked up 16 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks.

Here's what WalterFootball.com calls his biggest strengths.

Strengths:
Prototypical size with room to bulk
Ridiculously quick first step
Has great speed and athleticism
Terrific flexibility and balance
Underrated power
Plays at a very high level when motivated
Nice agility and lateral movement
Equips a variety of pass rush moves
Strong hands
Anticipates snap count well
Great counter moves
Seems comfortable in coverage
Can stand up and rush
Adept at batting down passes
Vines for arms
Very, very high upside
Scheme versatile (4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB)

While these skills seem like a Parcells-esque fit, JPP is extremely raw, and by far an unfinished product. While his ceiling is as high as anyone's in this draft, he's also perhaps the biggest boom-bust candidate in this draft.

You also could make a claim that Cam Wake fits a lot of these traits, perhaps not with as high of a ceiling, but one who may be a little more polished at this stage. That said, Wake is a bit of an unfinished one himself, and we know Parcells likes to play the depth game.

Anyone have some thoughts/insight on JPP and whether you think he'd be a good fit, or a worthwhile pick for the Dolphins at 12?

well i am sure parcells will keep a close eye out on him when the combine starts and i dont think its its too much of a reach that if hes there and mcclain and bryant arent that we do draft him with cutting porter and taylor playing his last year probably in 2010.

it all depends on combines and private workouts tho.

he's also perhaps the biggest boom-bust candidate in this draft.

along with having only 1 year of production on his resume tells me he's not a BP type player. BP traditionally likes 4 year players but anything can happen come draft day but I highly doubt JPP is our pick even if McClain and Dez are off the board.

I think some team - maybe Oakland - will draft him in the top 10. He's a top-5 talent. But, I don't think he's right for us. If we drafted E. Griffen at 12, and he somehow fell to us in the 2nd, then I'd absolutely take that gamble.

I don't think we need to gamble any more than we have to on this draft. We already had Pat White as the FO's ego pick. I'd sure like to have somone that is going to contribute.

I would not want to take him with our first round pick. I would with a second if he was there but not with our first.

I think some team - maybe Oakland - will draft him in the top 10. He's a top-5 talent. But, I don't think he's right for us. If we drafted E. Griffen at 12, and he somehow fell to us in the 2nd, then I'd absolutely take that gamble.

You honestly think JPP is top five talent? I think that's really pushing it for a guy who easily could not even be drafted in the first round.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd say he will be the Dolphins pick at #12.

I'll probably put a gun to my head too if they pick this guy at #12...

I think it has less than a 5% chance of happening anyway....they tend to place too much emphasis on body of work and academic achievements, especially that high in the first round...

I see 50% hype.....30% upside....and 20% substance with Pierre-Paul...

yep...a hype machine...how anyone could want a conversion olb and take jpp over everson griffen after watching the tape alone is beyond me...

The JPP situation reminds me of the NBA five or six years ago. None of the best prospects went to college, so you had teams gambling with top five picks on kids who just graduated from high school.

The JPP situation reminds me of the NBA five or six years ago. None of the best prospects went to college, so you had teams gambling with top five picks on kids who just graduated from high school.

That's actually a really good comparison.

JPP physically has the ability to be ridiculously good. Question is, will he be able to make that adaptation to the NFL game.

He's going to be one of those type of players who either leads the league in sacks and is a perennial Pro Bowler, or he's going to flame out miserably and be out of the league in five years. There's going to be very little middle ground with him.

Back
Top Bottom