JAVONTE WILLIAMS | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JAVONTE WILLIAMS

I'll be curious to see if he opts out of whatever virtual pro sessions they do at Carolina. His combine numbers won't blow anyone away and these days everyone is in love with speed. I wouldn't be shocked if a few of those guys who sat out put together some really impressive workouts and vault up draft boards.

I love the kid and hope the phins draft him. I will say though that the majority of football I watched the past season was Dolphins and Tar Heel ball. And I couldn't help but think how much Williams would have struggled behind that offensive line the phins had last year. The kid is a beast when he has a full head of steam but not nearly as dangerous when you can get to him early. Still will root for him wherever he goes and hope that ends up being Miami.

I am not saying Harris won't be a good RB, but I think he is too tall.
Agreed. Bigger is usually better in college, but not in the NFL. There are some exceptions of course, like Adrian Peterson or Derrick Henry, but those guys also have exceptional speed.

Wont shock me if Javonte Williams ends up being first RB drafted. His tape is soooo good

I honestly don't know how he produces like that at the NFL level. Especially with the breaking those tackles stuff which I swear looks like a comedy routine when he's doing it.

Agreed. Bigger is usually better in college, but not in the NFL. There are some exceptions of course, like Adrian Peterson or Derrick Henry, but those guys also have exceptional speed.
I think that in college you have more situations where one player is just bigger and stronger so they can get away with brute force and don't need skill. Once you get to the pros, brute force won't do it and skill becomes more important. Its why being the guy who outworks everybody else is so much more important. That's why you don't see as many bigger backs continue their college dominance in the pros. Your best backs are more consistently in that 205-225 range. Its more about instincts, vision, burst and balance than it is about size.

You see the same at WR. People want the size/speed freaks, but the best WRs are often guys like Devante Adams or Antonio Brown. It's about the ability to separate and catch the ball. Just like RBs, I find that the WRs who get away with just using brute strength (or just speed) to separate in college are more likely to bust b/c they don't have that consistent physical advantage anymore. Technicians with enough physical traits are the ones who's skills translate to the next level most often.

As everyone knows, I have been singing his praises all year and believe he is the most NFL ready RB in this draft and an ideal fit for the MD. In full disclosure I’m also a UNC grad so I admit to being a little but of a homer, but this kid is legit. I watched every game he’s played and I have no doubt the impact he will have. We have to get him early in the second if we don’t sign someone like Aaron Jones. Excellent read.

Don’t be surprised if he slips into the 1st...we played this game last year and ended up with empty hands at running back.

I hope they sign Aaron Jones so they don’t have to sweat it.

I hope they sign Aaron Jones so they don’t have to sweat it.

I hope they don’t sign Aaron Jones so we don’t have to sweat the salary cap.

A rookie RB will be cheaper and better. They can easily get one of the top 3 or 4.

...every RB needs some degree of movement / space by OL!

Except Barry Sanders.

I’ve been on the Javonte bandwagon for months now. I’ll be ecstatic if MIA ends up with either him or Najee.

Javonte runs and blocks like the Tasmanian devil on acid.
I like Williams more than Harris. I think Williams has better burst and I value that above Harris' better receiving ability. IMO Harris is an exceptional athlete. He would probably test better than Williams. But on film I see Williams as a better runner. And I value film more than testing numbers. I think that Harris' YPC have been inflated due the offense he's been in. That being said, I think they're both great backs and wouldn't be unhappy with either guy. But I do worry that neither Williams or Harris will make it to 36.

Back
Top Bottom