Jay Glazer/Greatest interview subject... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Glazer/Greatest interview subject...

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
He says it was Michael Marino!

Jay Glazer of CBS Sportsline is leaving for a TV gig. In the following article he recalls some of his most memorable moments with CBS Sportsline.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7369526

Greatest interview subject
Michael Marino, Dan Marino's son.

Mikey had autism when he was younger but about six years ago miraculously came out of it.

I was the first reporter that little Marino sat with and talked to at length about what it was like to be stuck in an autistic shell. He told me that he remembered wanting to do or say something but not being able to find the ability to do so. He was trapped and knew he was trapped.

We in the sport world throw about words like "miraculous" to identify a nice catch or interception, but Michael Marino certainly proves our vernacular is often misused.

When I asked him why I was the first reporter he had ever agreed to talk to about his autism, Michael said, "Because nobody else asked." Yup, sounds about right.

By the way, Michael now plays football, does very well in school and has no signs that he ever stood toe-to-toe with this terrible condition.

Here's the actual interview with Michael Marino. Great read. I never knew he beat autism till just the other day. Felt good to learn that.

This article was GREAT. I can't believe I never saw this. Usually, an article like this is put all over the papers, etc. Thanks for posting it.

I love the point about, "why this happened," and Glazer noting that it brought about the Dan Marino Center. It's great to see people like the Marino's who took a situation that could have been a real discouragement and turned it into a positive.

Awesome to hear that Mike recovered, I never knew. I still remember commercials with Dan for I think United Way where he's got Mikey in his lap and you could tell he was autistic. Kudos for Glazer for bringing it up as his best interview ever...thats a really high accolade considering the many, many interviews Jay has probably done with some of the greatest ever to play.

Last I heard (about a year ago) Michael Marino is the only known case of a full autism recovery in history.

13isgr81 said:
Last I heard (about a year ago) Michael Marino is the only known case of a full autism recovery in history.
... and Dan wouldn't trade that for any ring on Earth.

In a somewhat related story, I saw Mark Buoniconti being interviewed the other day in a story about substantial progress on spinal injury. It involves stem cells and test results in mice. In a nutshell, if I got this right... it's a three step procedure in which the disconnected nerve endings of the severed spinal cord are treated with something preparatory to an injection of stem cells a week later. Then there's a period of cell growth and development... and the success rate was for 70% improvement in function. That to me sounds like the subject could eventually walk but not run. Not f-ing bad.

Support the Miami Project.:)

"Mike's father might have been blessed with the golden arm, but Mike's story is inscribed in platinum ink."

Indeed... it's amazing.

BTW, I never knew about this interview... I know I heard about his kid being better, but... well, I guess it's a big thank you, Glazer.

Back
Top Bottom