Jay vs. Brian Pros & Cons.... :) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay vs. Brian Pros & Cons.... :)

MDolphins2003

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jay vs. Brian

Jay's Pros
* Moblie QB when pressured out of the pocket.
* Great short passing game.
* Hard Worker. Was never given a chance had to earn it.
* Nice Playaction move. Hides the ball well.
* Good Vision of the field.
* Can read a D quickly. Ivy Grad.
* Nice spiral on his short passes.
* Accurate Passing Game within 20 yards.
* Will take a HUGE hit just to get the pass off.
* Good clubhouse leader.

Brian's Pros
* Very good deep ball passer.
* Great short game as most starting QB's have.
* Clean playaction release. Again hides the ball very well.
* Accurate Passing Game within 30 yards.
* Good Vision of the field.
* Reads the D well. Better than most on passing downs.
* His father was the man in 1972! Sorry had to throw it in.
* Strong arm with a tight spiral.

Jay's Cons
* Injuries are a concern.
* Tries to do to much sometimes. Int's....
* Does not have a big name. That is the point for most people.
* Does not always protect the ball in the pocket.
* Without playaction he can be read by even fans.
* Had to follow the Greatest QB ever Dan Marino.
* Does have a very good deep ball. But it is hard to have a good deep ball when your team only goes down field once or twice a game. So who knows if they did how he would be then.

Brian's Cons
* He too tried to follow a Great QB.
* Injuries are a concern.
* Off the field problems are a concern. Drinking.
* On some passing downs he seems to lock on to his #1 & #2 options. But then again he did have a true #1 & #2.
* Can he be a leader or is he a cancer.
* Trying to go undefeated in Miami like his dad...lol..had to again.
* Most say he is like Bledsoe and will not take the big hit to get off a pass in the 1st or 2nd Q.

Final Judgment....
Brian is a better QB for the Phins. He offers a better deep ball and still has the nice short game. He has his problems that he must deal with. But once he signs and feels like part of the team. All of the past problems will go away. His playaction is about the same as Jay's. He just needs to learn the system and wait for his turn. When that time comes I think that the Phins passing game will improve. Thus helping Ricky out and giving the phins a more complete team. That is my view. What is yours?

Not Bad but left off one big con for Griese, mental aspect isn't as good a s Jays. Brian is more susceptble to the CRUCIAL int. That is Brian has thrown numerous ints on the last drive being down and driving fr the winning score. I do not Jay is all world, but i do not agree that Griese is any better.

I would definetly like Griese in Miami but nothing more then a back-up... atleast for this season. If we bring him in, in June- he'll only have about roughly two months to get into Norv's system... let alone the Dolphins system.

Fiedler on the other hand has been working with Wannstedt and the offense for 3 or 4 years, and Norv with 1. He knows what he needs to know and he can tutor Griese until next year.

It would not be a great move for the Phins to try to make Brian learn the system in a couple of months and start. That is why I said that he should wait for his chance and be ready. The BIGGEST reason why Brian is better....His DEEP BALL...Miami needs that Deep Ball guy. Because they do not have the best WR's. So having a QB that is better at throwing it could only help a semi weak WR core. Please do not freak out because I said semi weak....lol...Because they are. You know this man...lol

C.C. ~ Has not shown improvements from his rookie year. Not YET!
McKnight ~ Is average at best.
Thompson ~ Is average at best.
Baker ~ Never has had any real playing time.
Simmons ~ Was drafted as a ST player..KR & PR...
Tolver ~ Who knows? I like him...but really who knows?
Newsome ~ Is playing with boys overseas. Still a couple years away.

Where do you guys get this stuff that Griese is such a good "deep pass" thrower? His #1 receiver had only 1 reception last season of over 40yds. I'm going to say the same thing to you who are wishing Griese wins the job over Fiedler, that I said to the Lucas fans last year: be careful what you wish for.

Maybe a little reading on a Bronco board will shed a little light on the real Griese:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=3745

Originally posted by relive1972
Where do you guys get this stuff that Griese is such a good "deep pass" thrower? His #1 receiver had only 1 reception last season of over 40yds. I'm going to say the same thing to you who are wishing Griese wins the job over Fiedler, that I said to the Lucas fans last year: be careful what you wish for.

Maybe a little reading on a Bronco board will shed a little light on the real Griese:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=3745

In fact Fiedler had more "deep balls" last year than Griese

30+ yards Fiedler had 4, Griese had 2.

Look I am just happy to be getting another good qb, so if the starter goes down our season does not go down with him

LOL Girese is throws a nice deep ball ..............
:lol:

Anyways Fins haven't sign Griese yet and everything that I've read indicates is a one year deal.People are already assuming Griese can start this year or be QB of the fututre...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by minus
LOL Girese is throws a nice deep ball ..............
:lol:

Anyways Fins haven't sign Griese yet and every that I've read indicates is a one year deal.People are already assuming Griese cna start this year or be QB of the fututre...
If signing Griese means that we won't be drafting a QB in the first or second round next year.....then I say leave him where he sits....I don't want Wanny thinking that Griese will ever be anything more than a one year player/back up QB.......Griese MAY NEVER be the same again due to shoulder problems, the last thing I want to do is see this team look at Brian Griese as some longterm answer to our QB position.....*shudder*

I'm not looking forward to Griese being the starter, I hope Jay stays healthy, especially this year..if Jay goes down, then the offense would have to be part down, because Griese won't have a qrip on everything that Jay knows..remember Norv only put in part of the offense last year, then started adding toward the end of the season..So Griese will be where Jay was last year...Which means we will have to cut some the O so Griese won't be overwhem...I've said this time and time again, even if Griese knew the O as well as Jay..I like Jay better...Jay can throw the deep ball well...that's how Chris got his name in his rookie year..catching Jays deep ball from the slot. So I disagree with MD2003 accessment of Jay and Brian..Jay is the better QB right now..Brian been in his offense his entire carreer and now being let go..Jay came from Jacksonville O, to Gailey's O, and now to Norv's O..and have kept his head pretty well, we'll see if Brian can do the same. If he don't drink his chances away and trip over his dog again...Only time will tell and I hope Brian turns out to be what you guys hope he would be..I don't want us to tank if Jay goes down.

Brian vs. AFC East 2002

vs. Buf 19 of 31 / 61.3% / 211 yards / 6.8 avg. / 26 long / 2 TD's / 0 Ints / 12 1st downs / 20+ 4 times / 4 sacked / 103.0 Rating

vs. NE 18 of 23 / 78.3% / 229 yards / 10.0 avg. / 40 long / 1 TD / 1 Ints / 12 1st downs / 20+ 4 times / 2 sacked / 104.5 Rating

vs. NYJ 28 of 37 / 75.7% / 266 yards / 7.2 avg. / 22 long / 1 TD / 1 Ints / 11 1st downs / 20+ 1 time / 2 sacked / 92.8 Rating

vs. Mia 27 of 46 / 58.7% / 355 yards / 7.3 avg. / 52 long / 1 TD / 2 Ints / 16 1st downs / 20+ 4 times / 3 sacked / 70.5 Rating

He did not throw more than 2 TD's in a game. He only had 1 game without a INT. His best deep ball was 52 yards vs. the Phins. He almost averaged 3 sacks a game.

Now with Ricky he would not need to throw more than 2 TD's a game. He does make the dumb plays like Jay that cause the big turnovers. He best deep ball came at the Phins expense that does not shock me. The best way to pass on the Phins is deep. The Phins have a better OLINE when it come to pass protecting. They did a great job last season with Jay at the helm. But Jay is more mobile than Brian.

When Ahead 10 Games: 121 of 177 / 68.4% / 1435 yards / 8.1 avg. / 66 long / 7 TD / 6 Ints / 69 1st downs / 20+ 16 times / 16 sacked / 91.9 Rating

His Int's are up there. I can not stand to see a DB running with the PHINS BALL. His 66 yard long ball shows that he is better when ahead with his accuracy. Brian much like Jay only should be throwing the sure fire passes when the Phins have the lead. Let RICKY do his THING!

Now keep in mind that the above stats happend when he was having a bad season. His off the field actions did not help his cause within the locker room.

All in all Brian will be a backup at best the sesaon. Unless Jay was to go down. But I do like the Idea of signing him to a cap friendly contract over the next 4 years. But there is not 1 reason I can think of why the Phins should not use the draft to bring in some young talent with the best picks next season.

Jays cap numbers are going to be his end in Miiami. I like the fact that Jay has WORKED for everything that he has gotten from the NFL. I am not a Jay basher I just do not think that he can be effective on passing downs. Jay and Brian both can take a team all the way on a talent level. Hell Trent Dilfer did! But Jay is a MUCH better leader. If Brian does sign I think that he should have a shot at the Starting Position. But if it is even semi-close then Jay should get the nod.

I think that Brian was a cap hit cut more than a bad QB. He rubbed some teammates the wrong way. If he does that here early DROP HIS A$$. But he should be a better QB with something to prove. When you watch him play and he drops backs and fires down the middle you have to admit it looks good.

Jay has experience with the Dolphin players and coaches, experience in Norv's system, and the total respect of his teammates.

Brian can gain the first two of those, and earn the last one, by coming into Miami and working hard to be the best damn backup qb he can be.

If Fiedler stays healthy, Griese will not start this year. But if Fiedler is disappointing, and Griese keeps his nose to the grindstone this year, Fiedler will be cut and Griese will get an extension/new contract next off-season (remember what happens to Fieldler's salary next year).

I think Griese's got it in him: I think he showed it at Michigan. He just hasn't shown it at this level, yet.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

Back
Top Bottom