Jay's Here To Stay- This Is A Good Thing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay's Here To Stay- This Is A Good Thing

Which of the "Available" Options Do You Like Best At QB?

• Jay Fiedler

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Troy Aikman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trent Dilfer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Bledsoe

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Cade McKnown

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Jay Fiedler now has a new deal and his status with the 'Fins has been solidified. I know there are a whole ganglia of ‘Fin-faithful out there who would have rather seen our beloved team head in another direction, but let’s face it, there’s not another player out there who the ‘Fins would be able to get their hands on who would be much of an upgrade over the ever cool under pressure Fiedler.
ESPN posed the question: “If you were a Dolphins fan, who would you like to see as your starting QB?†They provided us with the following options: Jay Fiedler, Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe, or Trent Dilfer. More than sixty-percent of the voters chose Bledsoe. If you really take the time to look at these options however, you’ll quickly find that there’s not a serious upgrade amongst the options. Aikman would be coming off of a year-long hiatus from football and would, at best, have some rust to work through. At worst we would see the Aikman that we saw in the final couple of years he played in Dallas: oft-injured (neither the concussion problem nor the back problem has been fully resolved) and constantly whining about everything that ever happened on the football field.
Our next choice, Bledsoe, is obviously one of the better QB’s out there right now but not right for the ‘Fins. This team is set up to have a QB who can make plays with his feet when he has to and Bledsoe is about as close to a pure pocket passer as is out there right now. Although he can lumber about when forced to, he does not possess the ability to be the mobile QB that Miami needs. Besides all of this, the price to get a hold of Bledsoe would be astronomical and absolutely not worth it.
Then there’s Dilfer; Dilfer the winner, Dilfer the leader, Dilfer the all around NFL good guy. I’m not going to argue the upsides and downsides to this guy since that’s been one of the most over-talked about stories in the NFL this past year. We all know he’s a good player who possesses decent QB skills and great intangibles, but isn’t that what the ‘Fins already have in Fiedler? And I don’t believe there’s a person in their right mind out there that can adequately argue that Dilfer is an upgrade over Fiedler. Dilfer deserves a starting nod on someone’s roster, just not the Dolphin’s.
Finally that brings us to Fiedler. Here’s a guy who’s won twenty-two games in his first two seasons as a starter, has been only the second Dolphins QB to pass for over three-thousand yards, is a proven leader, and who has an uncanny ability to shake off a mistake and make plays when they need to be made. Let’s face it, without Fiedler in a couple of those games last year, the Dolphins would never have been in it at the end.
Instead of chiding Fiedler or the organization for bringing him back, let’s just hope that the ‘Fins do what is necessary to provide Jay with the tools (i.e. a decent ground game and O-line) he needs to lead this team into the Promised Land. Like it or not, Jay’s the man in ‘Fin-town for the foreseeable future; if I were you, I’d chose the former.

Well just for arguments sake, Norv did it with Troy Aikman in Dallas, and he is as pure a pocket passer as they come. Drew would be outstanding as our QB, but with our cap situation, were lucky to still have Jay.

seems to me the only realistic options were:
Jay
Ray
Cade
Trent

the Pats are not trading us Drew and we canot afford it and Troy would be knocked unconscience with our OL w/in pre-season and go back into retirement.

Say what you want...Jay DOES NOT deserve 5 million a year :yell:
clear.gif
Especially a QB who throws 35 or more int's in 2 years :fire:

can i vote for two..............

jay knows the system and his contract works out to be better than anybody hoped for. i voted for jay.

but drew does have more talent than jay, but my vote would be wasted here, cause its never gonna happen. pats wouldn't let him go, plus we could never afford it, at least, not now!:p

Originally posted by Flyin11
Say what you want...Jay DOES NOT deserve 5 million a year :yell:
clear.gif
Especially a QB who throws 35 or more int's in 2 years :fire:

Jay didn't get 5 million a year Flyin. He gets 1.35 million this year, and the chance to play(through incentives) to make more. If he PLAYS like a 5 million dollar a year QB, he gets paid 5 Mill.

And we all would love him to play that way.

i was pissed at first to!

Originally posted by dolfan87

Jay didn't get 5 million a year Flyin. He gets 1.35 million this year, and the chance to play(through incentives) to make more. If he PLAYS like a 5 million dollar a year QB, he gets paid 5 Mill.

but dejesus posted on how the contract actually worked and i think its great. thata way to go rick!:D

I personally like the way the contract focused on the fact that Jay still has to do his job and do it well in order to get his rewards two years from now.... sure, he does get a signing bonus... but later on the other bonuses are not guaranteed. ..... Since alot of you folks are down in Florida i hope you all do your best to support his efforts....

As a side note, maybe Jay should pull more of his friends family and girlfriend down to the Dolphin area.... the more the merrier as far as support goes....

Chicago pretty much threw Cade out of town... maybe Cade has time to grow up a bit - taking a lesson from many other QBs including Jay..

Have a good one folks...

If we have to keep Jay, then I at least like the contract he was given. I like that he has to earn his money. I hope he has a successful year for the team's sake.

BTW 87, what is your new avatar suppose to be?

Originally posted by dolfan87

Somebody at my work told me that he got 25 million for 5 years ???? :confused:

almost, 24.5 mil for 5

but he has to be in miami for at least 2 before he gets the big bucks. he's not guaranteed the money unless he does well, and i'm sure nobody will care if they go to the superbowl!:D

Originally posted by Flyin11

Somebody at my work told me that he got 25 million for 5 years ???? :confused:

Ill break it down for you. he gets 4 mill right off the bat, but it only counts for .8mill each season of his contract agianst the cap, unless he is released or traded then the remaining amount of the 4 mill would count the year he was released or traded. The next thing is his base salary this year it is only .525 mill, and next year it is .725 mill after that is balloons up to over 2 mill for each of the last 3 years of the contract. The rest of the money is in the form of roster bonuses that he would recieve if he is still on the roster as of march first of next year and the year after. The first 1 is for 1.25 mill the 2nd is for i think 2.25 mill. So basicly this year his cap # is 1.35 mill, next season it is 3 mill, after that it looks like he will be reavalluated and if the Dolphins still want him his cap #will be 6mill, if they decide to release he would count 2.2 mill against the cap in 2004, but they would save 4 mill from his base salary and roster bonus.

Back
Top Bottom