Jeff Darlington - The Ballad of Dolphins Quarterbacks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Darlington - The Ballad of Dolphins Quarterbacks

I remember in college when Trent and Ronnie were running the show and both got basically killed and our team lost many close games. They sucked

I'm choosing to skip from 1999, to next Sunday. I will erase the past two decades of Miami Dolphins quarterback play. Please do not attempt to resurrect my memory !!!

I feel like Fiedler gets a bad rap though. It wasn't his fault the defense **** the bed multiple times when we needed a stop.

Coaching and everything else doomed him. He was limited in what he could do. We just never got past that by doing dumb stuff like drafting Jamar Fletcher.

I don't think he gets a bad rap. We all loved his grit and perseverance, going out there in a playoff game diving head first with a shoulder injury. He just wasn't a very good quarterback and had no business starting in the NFL. He was about as inaccurate as any QB I've ever seen at the professional level and you never had any clue where the ball was going when it left his hands.

Whatever you thought of the defense and its late season woes, those teams were stock full of talent and would have won a lot of games with a real QB.

Go Tua I want to see another Super Bowl victory before I die . I've been through 5 Super Bowls with my Dolphins and time is running out on me. I hate to see all the negative Nancy's on here it's time to show full support for our new quarter back.

Fiedler is ranked right where he needs to be— an inadequate QB that occasionally won games with his legs or his grit, but who was never going to come close to pulling his own weight and made many costly mistakes.

The defense, however, is ridiculously overrated. Yeah, they had good games. They also had games where Fiedler, Chambers, and the rest were actually producing and the defense would let the other team march down the field and score (and, of course, inevitably the Dolphins offense couldn’t keep scoring).

You can point to games where the defense played very well and the team lost. You can point to games where the offense played well and the team lost. You can point to a lot of games where both units failed to make plays at crucial moments. That’s why despite their regular season success, the post-Jimmy team (that Jimmy built) was 1-2 in the playoffs and never won past the wildcard round; they couldn’t hang with the very good teams when the pressure was on. And needless to say, worse than the playoff losses were those years where the team was just good enough to miss the playoffs in spectacular fashion like 2002 (or with a whimper as happened in 2003).

Fiedler is ranked right where he needs to be— an inadequate QB that occasionally won games with his legs or his grit, but who was never going to come close to pulling his own weight and made many costly mistakes.

The defense, however, is ridiculously overrated. Yeah, they had good games. They also had games where Fiedler, Chambers, and the rest were actually producing and the defense would let the other team march down the field and score (and, of course, inevitably the Dolphins offense couldn’t keep scoring).

You can point to games where the defense played very well and the team lost. You can point to games where the offense played well and the team lost. You can point to a lot of games where both units failed to make plays at crucial moments. That’s why despite their regular season success, the post-Jimmy team (that Jimmy built) was 1-2 in the playoffs and never won past the wildcard round; they couldn’t hang with the very good teams when the pressure was on. And needless to say, worse than the playoff losses were those years where the team was just good enough to miss the playoffs in spectacular fashion like 2002 (or with a whimper as happened in 2003).
Thats the Fiedler era that I remember. Along with all his pick 6s when the games were on the line

Back
Top Bottom